Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3276789 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #585 on: September 20, 2011, 11:11:34 AM »
{I'm still waiting for someone to pick me up on "tuning for speed".... }

Well, now I know why I haven't heard of it.

It's about MOTORCYCLE engines.

So what you're saying is that there were 3 heretics arguing religion on your doorstep?  :roll:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #586 on: September 20, 2011, 06:19:39 PM »

So what you're saying is that there were 3 heretics arguing religion on your doorstep?  :roll:

Not just any motorcycle engines
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #587 on: September 20, 2011, 06:38:01 PM »

Not just any motorcycle engines
G

Would that be racing engines, like the Comet? :-D
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #588 on: September 21, 2011, 02:20:08 AM »
My friend, Tim Curtis, whose patience in all things wired is second to none, stopped by and we hammered out the major part of the Electromotive system.  I was pleased that what we did last year with the last vestages of Lucas easily retrofitted to the new management system.

It also helped that I'm running a Weber, and didn't have to concern myself with the MAP sensor, that I'm not monkeying around with an "auxiliary retard" control, and that I have no need to install a hidden switch to keep the "valet" from wrapping himself and my car around a tree.  The only modern engine management piece other than the crank trigger I felt compelled to make room for is a knock sensor, which is a one-wire termination I'll make when the engine goes in. 

So the harness is essentially in place, the short block is done, the head should be finished on Thursday - looks like I might be installing an engine this weekend.

18 days til tune & test.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #589 on: September 21, 2011, 05:29:35 PM »
What figures are you looking for at the drag strip?
1/8 or 1/4-mile?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #590 on: September 21, 2011, 07:53:09 PM »
1/8 or 1/4-mile?

GLD is 1/4 mile.  ET's aren't my concern - I want to confirm that it runs, take a few leisurly passes to be sure it's holding together, and before I leave, I hope to see if it will pull past peak power in 3rd.

4:22 gears, 155/80 R 13 radials on the back.

Well, maybe I'll try a smoky burn-out . . .  :evil:

Limited goals, realistic objectives.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #591 on: September 21, 2011, 08:02:01 PM »
Chris, good luck at the drags! :wink:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #592 on: September 25, 2011, 03:20:35 PM »
1/8 or 1/4-mile?

GLD is 1/4 mile.  ET's aren't my concern - I want to confirm that it runs, take a few leisurly passes to be sure it's holding together, and before I leave, I hope to see if it will pull past peak power in 3rd.

4:22 gears, 155/80 R 13 radials on the back.

Well, maybe I'll try a smoky burn-out . . .  :evil:

Limited goals, realistic objectives.

If you have trouble hooking up I can lend you my wide drag racing tires- 175 70 R13s. :)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #593 on: September 25, 2011, 03:45:48 PM »
A generous offer - and thank you for it, but this is strictly a sort-out of the drivetrain and front end.  I don't want to stress it at this point until I know everything is working, and I don't want to tear up my front runners on pavement.

These are a "sacrificial" set of tires that will slip rather than grab.

But with the ECTA moving to Ohio, I'm thinking something with a bit more bite mite be in order for next year.

You're running Falkens, right Walt?

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #594 on: September 25, 2011, 04:34:10 PM »
MM,
We talked earlier about oil squirters vs. ceramic coated pistons.  Just wanted to let you know that after 14 passes (5 at Loring and 9 at Bonneville), I took the BSA apart to find no significant damage.  The ceramic coated piston must have helped because the pin was still loose in the piston, with no positive oiling system beyond the big end and what drains back from the rocker box onto the crank.  Underside  of piston is a light carmel color.  The rod bearing (inserts) were starting to flake, but no other damage.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #595 on: September 30, 2011, 12:15:10 PM »
Ready to install.

Hopefully Sunday afternoon (?)

Electronics are in place – just need to do the final terminations.

Still a few snags.  Ray the Rat’s calamity at WOS got me thinking about the drive shaft – something I hadn't given a thought to.  I took it in for new U-joints and a balance job.  When Ron, the tech at Wisconsin Truck pulled the retainers on the front yoke, the whole thing fell apart in his hand.  A stretched yoke?  Eeegads . . . that could have been ugly.  Ray, I'm sorry you broke, but thanks for the heads up!

A new yoke is coming up from my buddies at Mathews Auto Parts in Birmingham (Alabama, not the West Midlands), and I should see it by Tuesday.  If all goes well, I should have a fully functioning race car by next weekend.  Tune and test is scheduled for SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY, October 9th, at Broadway Bob’s Great Lakes Dragaway, in Union Grove, Wisconsin.

And in a leap of faith, I’m entered at Maxton at the end of October.  If all goes well next weekend, and I repeat, if all goes well, I'll start cleaning up the camping gear.

So this makes the effort a bona fied thrash.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #596 on: September 30, 2011, 12:51:24 PM »
Midget, hope all goes well. I am currently in full thrash mode on the wifes camaro. hope to see you in Maxton.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #597 on: September 30, 2011, 06:54:29 PM »
MM,
We talked earlier about oil squirters vs. ceramic coated pistons.  Just wanted to let you know that after 14 passes (5 at Loring and 9 at Bonneville), I took the BSA apart to find no significant damage.  The ceramic coated piston must have helped because the pin was still loose in the piston, with no positive oiling system beyond the big end and what drains back from the rocker box onto the crank.  Underside  of piston is a light carmel color.  The rod bearing (inserts) were starting to flake, but no other damage.
Tom

Good to know.  I'm only vaguely familiar with BSA's, but it is my understanding from a couple of buddies who have chopped them that oil pickup from the crankcase is an issue - ie, don't put a lot of rake on them, or you'll starve them out.

I buttoned up the engine for this year and just installed a variable pressure control valve.  I've got a tune and test and maybe a run at Maxton on my plate for October, after which I'll pull it and see where I'm sitting.  Seeing as I wasn't sure where I would be with CR until very recently, I didn't want to coat a custom set of pistons I might need to machine. 

Nice thing about the Midget is that I can pull the pistons without having to pull the whole engine. 

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #598 on: September 30, 2011, 07:01:45 PM »
Chris,

Looks like your patience is paying off!!!  Good luck with your testing and can't wait to hear how you do at Maxton!!!  Congratulations....it's an LSR car!!!!   :cheers:   :cheers:

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #599 on: September 30, 2011, 07:06:49 PM »
Chris,

Looks like your patience is paying off!!!  Good luck with your testing and can't wait to hear how you do at Maxton!!!  Congratulations....it's an LSR car!!!!   :cheers:   :cheers:

Lynda

And I'll be towing it to Bonneville on an open trailer.  Lynda, you never get to see the sequestered cars in their fancy shmancy enclosed trailers - But I ain't that way!

I want a picture of YOU and the Midget at Land's End.

And I'll remember my hat . . .  :roll: