Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3277212 times)

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #720 on: October 31, 2011, 08:52:58 AM »
Ya should have heard it on the second pass, sounded like nothing else out there, good job Chris. :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #721 on: October 31, 2011, 11:52:31 AM »
Chris, your car looked and sounded great.  I am sorry we did not get time to chat.

With the 1 mile long staging lane and me not getting a run in on Saturday.. My Sunday was hectic to say the least.

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #722 on: October 31, 2011, 11:58:51 AM »
Here's some pics of the technique needed to put a 6'+ driver in a midget. Mkes my back hurt just watching him do it.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Geo

« Reply #723 on: October 31, 2011, 01:34:05 PM »
Great going Chris!  For those who do not know 91.913 mph is very fast in a Midget. Looking forward to reports of faster runs.  :-)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #724 on: October 31, 2011, 02:29:36 PM »
If this was posted earlier in the thread, apologies.  :mrgreen:

Anyway, was curious about the record for I/GT and:

Unblown Grand Touring Sports - /GT
I  Highlander  R. Thomas  08/92  121.779

http://bringatrailer.com/2009/07/17/from-italy-to-the-salt-1963-abarth-1000/

The link references an eBay sale.  It also says "7/29/2009 Update: This Abarth did not meet reserve at $80,100 with 11 bidders."

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #725 on: October 31, 2011, 11:09:33 PM »
JUST got home - Chicago traffic - rush hour - pulling a trailer - Kate poured me a glass of Cab, and I'm relishing it.

A huge thanks to all who have posted, and to all who stopped by.  Wisconsin was well represented - Mark, Pat, the door is always open.

I'll get the pics and the story up on Tuesday, but I want to share one quick note before I go to bed.

Sunday morning, we got in early, and it was farkling cold out there.  But as we pulled in, I saw Charles' Dually parked in front of the rig - I promised I'd stop by.

He had just fired up the Stude and was clearly busy - up on the jackstands, and obviously way too loud to chat.  Two of his crew members came over, leaned down on either side of the Stude and were warming their hands by the exhaust.

Yes - that's how cold it was on Sunday morning.

My first thought was Bob Cratchet, warming his hands by the candle in "A Christmas Carol", but that would be putting Charles in the role of Scrooge, and I just don't see that.

And Mike, thanks for posting the Abarth pic - I'm printing a copy and sticking it up on my dart board.  :wink:

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Freud

« Reply #726 on: November 01, 2011, 01:44:31 AM »
I'm glad you are home, Midget.

But it also felt good to participate, didn't it?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Tman

« Reply #727 on: November 01, 2011, 02:01:16 AM »
Congrats! been fun following your escapades! :cheers:

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #728 on: November 01, 2011, 11:02:18 AM »
Our friend Chris must have tired of my discount blues CDs from Costco as background filler for the webcasts.  He graciously gave us a CD from one of the bands he plays with back in Milwaukee.  I listened to it on the freeway heading to Nashville.  Lotta' good listening, we'll be sure to have this in the mix for next season.  You can see what he's up to and sample the group Honky Tonk-itis on their website.  http://honkytonkitis.net/   And, we'll keep picking Chris' brain for info on how to modify and upgrade the audio.

Shameless plug?  You bet, but LSR and honkytonking must overlap in some cosmic method.  I hide in my office or out in the garage, myself, but they show me how to bring back the glory days of life spent plugging the jukebox while hiding from your old lady in a smoky old joint down the block.

Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #729 on: November 01, 2011, 11:02:16 PM »
Postmortem – Maxton.

Running out of gas AS YOU PULL UP to the fuel trailer to get “event gas” is a good thing – provided the team in front of you hasn’t just drained the last barrel – while you sit there and watch.  :|

Revving ones engine in the rain only aggravates the ECTA official who has to walk over and remind you that you’re interrupting the drivers meeting – which you’re supposed to be attending.   :oops:

Using an 8,000 rpm tach on an engine that wants to run at 9,500 is kind of useless.  :roll:

Piloting a 1600 lb car with an 80 inch wheelbase on a rough concrete surface without taking the time to properly align the front end is just silly – and eye-opening.  :-o

Attempting to datalog with a laptop on the floor won’t work if you don’t plug the computer in.  :wink:

Furthermore, once you’re strapped in and in line, with a helmet, head sock, bifocals and a visor down, punching the “Record” button on a laptop is tough.  :-P

Sometimes, using an ice scraper as a prop rod for the trunk of a race car is a good idea – especially when you arrive to find frost on your windows.  The “accidental preparedness” clause applies here.  8-)

Leaving one's helmet in sub-freezing conditions leads to undue condensation on the inside of the visor while racing.  Avoiding exhalation works for a very short time, but eventually only complicates the matter.  :|

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #730 on: November 02, 2011, 12:21:04 AM »
Postmortem – Maxton.
Revving ones engine in the rain only aggravates the ECTA official who has to walk over and remind you that you’re interrupting the drivers meeting – which you’re supposed to be attending.   :oops:

There are very, very few V8's that will get under people's skin( there was ONE in a certain modified T at Bonneville) however, rotaries, old Brit bikes and rough running fours and their owners will attract attention waaaay out of proportion to their number of plugs........

Using an 8,000 rpm tach on an engine that wants to run at 9,500 is kind of useless.  :roll:

Didn't you say it was resonating a "D"?... just mount a tuner on the dash, and tune down.

Piloting a 1600 lb car with an 80 inch wheelbase on a rough concrete surface without taking the time to properly align the front end is just silly – and eye-opening.  :-o

Yer right, when I get the wheel alignment right I generally drive with my eyes closed, man it's so boring I can barely keep 'em open......But back to the topic, with my recent efforts I would , personally, leave the wheel alignment alone because attending to it seemed to be no guarantee that it would improve.......YMMV

Attempting to datalog with a laptop on the floor won’t work if you don’t plug the computer in.  :wink:

Furthermore, once you’re strapped in and in line, with a helmet, head sock, bifocals and a visor down, punching the “Record” button on a laptop is tough.  :-P

Those gloves are there purely to remind you what it would be like trying to do anything if your hands were burnt to the third degree, no more undoing anything, no nose picking ( or other personal needs)and certainly no typing.

Sometimes, using an ice scraper as a prop rod for the trunk of a race car is a good idea – especially when you arrive to find frost on your windows.  The “accidental preparedness” clause applies here.  8-)

Leaving one's helmet in sub-freezing conditions leads to undue condensation on the inside of the visor while racing.  Avoiding exhalation works for a very short time, but eventually only complicates the matter.  :|

Start collecting silicon dessicator bags and chuck one in your helmet between events, and, obviously leave it somewhere warm. You're lucky you don't share it with some foetid halitosite :wink:

I think, we all think you did OK.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #731 on: November 02, 2011, 12:53:23 AM »
I hereby nominate Mr. Midget for the 2011 landracing.com award for best creative use of emoticons!   :mrgreen:

Well done, Chris.  Onward, upward, ever!

Mike

(No reference to Sisyphus intended  :evil: )
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #732 on: November 02, 2011, 08:00:49 AM »
Sooooo Chris --- that was you revving the engine during the drivers meeting ... Did you enjoy the wrath of Turk?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #733 on: November 02, 2011, 08:16:19 AM »
Shit - that was Keith?  :?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #734 on: November 02, 2011, 08:28:42 AM »
Not Keith in person -- he stayed at the drivers meeting and told stories about what he's had to do to fellows that rev their engines during the drivers meeting.  One of K's minions was the guy that visited you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com