Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3277237 times)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #735 on: November 02, 2011, 06:22:34 PM »
Chris, Great job on the run! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #736 on: November 02, 2011, 07:56:28 PM »
Thanks for all the encouragement and ribbing.  I'm finally confident that I'm heading in the right direction.

As was my suspicion, up until now, I simply had no place to find out when the engine came on the cam.  It appears to up there a ways.  Unfortunately, I didn't take particularly good notes, but I do need to launch it above 4500 or 5k to get it over the hump, and it will just stumble until the momentum of the air through the head starts to hit the sweet spot.

I've got two thoughts in mind to try to build up the lower end of the powerband.  1st off, I'm thinking of going with a slightly smaller set of venturis in the carb, in hopes that the flow rate will pick up a bit at a lower RPM.  I don't think I've got any restriction of consequence on the intake side, and getting the intake speed up should be somewhat helpful.

Additionally, a longer manifold might help.  I've seen some A-Series Weber manifolds as long as 7", and while that would be impractical in my application, I've got a 4" Maniflow manifold I can cut the flanges off of and have a manifold welded up that will maximize the available space.

What I did came away with, and what has re energized my efforts, is that indeed, the short stroke, way-too-big rod-to-stroke ratio does indeed work.

I need to get a bit of dyno time in.  I want to get a true baseline - something other than the seat of my pants.

A  Confirm and maximize the timing
B  See if I can utilize and/or maximize the knock sensor to my advantage, which I simply bypassed at Maxton
C  Change out the venturis

That would be a solid day on the dyno - not cheap, but cheaper than a trip out west.

And I've GOT to get this thing aligned - it was like a water strider, skipping across a pond.

I'm glad you are home, Midget.

But it also felt good to participate, didn't it?

FREUD

Freud, seriously, Wednesday night. after packing up, I looked at the Midget and the trailer, and almost talked myself into just spectating - that's how unsure I was.  I came within a gnat's Acura of loading up the trunk of the MGB, and just calling it a vacation.  

But once I was going through Rookie O, and had the car in line, I realised, and I think for the first time, that this is not spectator sport.

So yes, my friend, it felt REALLY good to participate, and more importantly, to do so at a level that I don't have to make any apologies for or jokes about.

Yeah, Glenn, it really, really did.

:cheers:

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:15:52 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

gkabbt

« Reply #737 on: November 02, 2011, 09:01:26 PM »
Chris,

Really good meeting / talking with you at Maxton (I'm the guy with the Rampage) and really glad you and Mrs. Midget made the long trek to Maxton.
It looks like you are slowly but surely getting things sorted out. Now comes plenty of time during the off season to get ready for Wilmington in April. See you there and I hope I have my truck there as well.

Gregg
P.S.
All I can say is DANG that thing is loud....but music to my ears.

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #738 on: November 02, 2011, 09:16:27 PM »
 :-D :-D

Congrats Chris, you must have a great feeling of satisfaction, I can't imagine what you must have felt the first time it 'cleared it's throat' and came on the cam....   :-D :-D

All the things you refer to sound spot on to me, smaller venturis wil certainly help the 'signal' for the jetting, now you've run it in a bit, the dyno awaits!

What next?? The salt next year? That record looks a very satisfactory target!

:cheers:

Offline wisdonm

« Reply #739 on: November 02, 2011, 10:32:49 PM »
Good try Chris.

Give Dick a call at MG Ltd. Most people are unaware that he makes custom intake manifolds.
Stand on it....brakes only slow you down.

Has a checkered past.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #740 on: November 02, 2011, 11:59:00 PM »
Chris,

Get the alignment confirmed for sure but that could very well have been considerably less that 100% of the problems you had.  A couple of drivers whose opinions I value mentioned their rigs [both relatively small and light] doing your "water bug dance" due to the wind on Sat.

Ed

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #741 on: November 03, 2011, 12:14:04 AM »
Good try Chris.

Give Dick a call at MG Ltd. Most people are unaware that he makes custom intake manifolds.

Don, thanks for that one.  I knew he did some custom MGB racing parts, and mostly SU manifolds, but I've got the flanges for a Weber.  The manifolds on both the A and B blocks are nothing more than pipes, but I'm sure it would be a better bet to have MG Limited do the work than just having a welder with no insight to these engines stitching it up.

Last time I talked to him, he was starting on an MGA to race - have you seen it?  The work coming out of his shop is impeccable.    
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:17:23 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #742 on: November 03, 2011, 12:19:51 AM »
Chris,

Get the alignment confirmed for sure but that could very well have been considerably less that 100% of the problems you had.  A couple of drivers whose opinions I value mentioned their rigs [both relatively small and light] doing your "water bug dance" due to the wind on Sat.

Ed

It was a bit breezy on Saturday.

Ed, was everything okay when you got home?  Good meeting you.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #743 on: November 03, 2011, 12:34:42 AM »
Thanks for all the encouragement and ribbing.  I'm finally confident that I'm heading in the right direction.

Heading in the right direction?.....search "Renee Geyer ,Heading in the right direction 1976" you'll love it.

As was my suspicion, up until now, I simply had no place to find out when the engine came on the cam.  It appears to up there a ways.  Unfortunately, I didn't take particularly good notes, but I do need to launch it above 4500 or 5k to get it over the hump, and it will just stumble until the momentum of the air through the head starts to hit the sweet spot.

I've got two thoughts in mind to try to build up the lower end of the powerband.  1st off, I'm thinking of going with a slightly smaller set of venturis in the carb, in hopes that the flow rate will pick up a bit at a lower RPM.  I don't think I've got any restriction of consequence on the intake side, and getting the intake speed up should be somewhat helpful.

Where does a push car figure into this? A push to 30mph will have you at the 1/2nd shift wouldn't it? Once you've got some dyno done you'll have a better idea but isn't tinkering with the bottom end gonna tax the top end?

Gee I wish I'd seen it.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #744 on: November 03, 2011, 06:59:57 AM »
Chris,

Left at 4:15 am Sun, chased the storm on relatively dry roads all the way [840 mi], and arrived home 6:20pm.  Bride had hired a guy with a plow to make a couple passes to open up the driveway that afternoon [we got over 20"] so I wouldn't have to deal with it when I got home, very pleasantly surprised when I arrived. I finished cleaning up with the tractor Tues morn with no problems.  Big ice storm a couple of years ago had taken down all the weak stuff, snow was light and fluffy so they hadn't lost power.  Different story at the lower elevations all around us, less but heavier snow took down a lot of trees, some sections of MA and CT still without power.

Looking forward to seeing you again at Wilmington in the spring.

Ed

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #745 on: November 03, 2011, 07:04:55 AM »

Where does a push car figure into this? A push to 30mph will have you at the 1/2nd shift wouldn't it? Once you've got some dyno done you'll have a better idea but isn't tinkering with the bottom end gonna tax the top end?

Gee I wish I'd seen it.
[/quote]

Chris, I think Dr. Goggles is right- push car, and concentrate on the top end- bottom end doesn't matter!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #746 on: November 03, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
Chris, it was great meeting you and Mrs. Midget, The car is a cool piece of work and to quote you " you got a race car now" now to sort it out. 91 mph and change ain't too shaby my friend. Hope to see you in Wilmington.

Frank
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #747 on: November 03, 2011, 09:19:18 AM »
Hey Chris, if your exhaust note's annoying and by several accounts it is,  you're probably on the right track. :evil: :evil: :-D

Pete

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #748 on: November 03, 2011, 09:49:12 AM »
Hey Chris, if your exhaust note's annoying and by several accounts it is,  you're probably on the right track. :evil: :evil: :-D

Pete

It's like being in a band with a really loud banjo player.  :-D

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #749 on: November 03, 2011, 10:00:31 AM »
The exhaust note is only annoying during drivers meetings and such, otherwise it's music to the ears. :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15