Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3273534 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #330 on: March 08, 2011, 07:40:35 PM »
Thanks, Nick - I've got a new bookmark.  These things are so simple and plentiful that they lend themselves to a lot of conversions and modifications. 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #331 on: March 08, 2011, 07:58:11 PM »
Yeah, right, a Geo engine.  Then it would be even slower than last year.   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #332 on: March 08, 2011, 08:30:59 PM »
Mike, you're cruel!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Pete

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #333 on: March 08, 2011, 09:03:24 PM »
 :-D   Shit, I'm a Cub's fan - I can find the bright side of an imploded star.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #334 on: March 08, 2011, 09:04:55 PM »
Mike, you're cruel!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Pete

Perhaps.  But at least he was there last year with a car, which is more than I can say.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #335 on: March 08, 2011, 09:13:54 PM »
Bring your crazy uncle from Red Bluff, and I might be tempted to flip you the keys!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #336 on: March 08, 2011, 09:30:41 PM »
:-D   Subaru, I'm a Cub's fan - I can find the bright side of an imploded star.

:-D :-D :-D :-D
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #337 on: March 08, 2011, 10:20:39 PM »
Okay – back to the build.  Got my argon, and once again, my lack of welding chops reared its ugly head.

The welded collar proved to be a royal PITA.  And of course, I bunged it up.

About 30 minutes with a jewelers file and a fret file brought the splines back.

Now for a little destructive testing.  9/16 open end around the steering column in the engine bay, turning against the upper control arm/shock absorber and twist until it breaks.  Which it didn’t!

Still, this is the last time I’m welding anything.  I spend more time fixing welds than accomplishing anything worthy of note.  It’s up on Craig’s List, and the phone has been ringing off of the hook.  The choice is simple – I can have a welder I’m not good at operating, or I can have custom pistons and a nice dinner with Kate. 

That’s a no brainer

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #338 on: March 29, 2011, 11:33:11 PM »
Just in a holding pattern.  Talked with Greg last week regarding the crank.  He’s waiting on the billet, which he intends to “make a lot lighter”.  I’d be concerned if it came off of the lathe heavier than when it was originally chucked up.  Hope to see it late April, early May.

Rods – “Another couple of weeks”.  Pistons – “Another couple of weeks”.  Seems like anything having to do with a race car is “Another couple of weeks”.

eBay’s been good to me, though, along with Speedway Motors and The Home Despot.  

The laundry list –

Left to right, top to bottom - a NOS set of Crane valve springs that will let me get my lift without bind.  Came out of England from a stock reduction sale at a Mini shop.  Cheaper to import them than to find them stateside.  Since I bought the Longman head last year, it was never clear what I had for valve springs.  This gets rid of the ambiguity.

A NOS water pump.  I’ve seen them stamped “Unipart”, “MOWOG”, and unstamped, but I’ve never seen one with the Leyland logo before.

A Holley fuel pump – it’s just gotta be better than the Bendix – we KNOW it’s better than the SU.  Speedway Motors – in stock and in my hands in 2 days, along with –

An SW fuel pressure gauge – This goes under the hood next to the regulator – I’m sick of guessing.

A very clean used oil filter head to replace the one I dropped a jack stand on, turning it into scrap.

A gear reduction starter – from my buddy Martin at British Performance Parts.  I put one of his starters in my MGB six years ago, after going through three Lucas rebuilds in one season.  Never a problem - top notch.

Bottom row, left.  I wasn’t even looking for it.  Punched “1275” into eBay Motors, and there it was – pressure control valve for the oil system.  I’d read about them, checked the cost and said to myself, “Well, not critical, but if one falls in my lap”.  And now it’s on my bench.

“So Chris – why do you have welding tips on your bench”, one might ask?   Those aren’t welding tips – those are – well, ask Sparky - He’ll tell you what they’re there for.  Thanks for the great chat the other night.  I've still got to figure out the rest of the plumbing – stay tuned.

2 crank pins – eBay again.  

And what would a race car be without stickers?  Yeah, it can be overdone, and Stan, I intend to keep it very subtle.  Actually, I’m trying to model it with a British club racer kind of a look.  But these pieces I just couldn’t pass on.  

Part of the MG advertising campaign in the early ‘70’s was the phrase, “You can do it in an MG”.  Now I’m pretty flexible for a pentagenarian, and I can still do “it”, and maybe even in an MGB with the top down, but in a Midget with a 9 point cage and a factory hardtop?  Still, I needed something of equal humor value to the Lucas Sport Coil I removed, so I got one for along the top edge of the windshield.

These, on the other hand, are priceless.  The “Special Tuning” department was to BMC what Holman Moody was to Ford in the 1960’s.  Limited production, race prepped parts, components, “works” cars.  This is the sticker they would put on the valve cover, informing the mechanic about to perform a valve adjustment that this one is a bit different than what they’re used to.

And finally – This one made so damned little sense, and was so open to interpretation, that I just had to drop the extra buck-two-eighty.  An “X”ed out hand holding a wrench (or torque wrench?), the British Leyland logo – it could mean anything, everything, or nothing.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:03:46 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Fheckro

« Reply #339 on: March 30, 2011, 10:21:26 AM »
No spanking ? :-o
9479 Monza C/CGC
Current record Holder @ 180.000

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #340 on: March 31, 2011, 04:50:45 AM »
Looks like you're not to use the hand-brake lever as a club.

I guess they want you to use a proper hammer.

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #341 on: March 31, 2011, 07:08:34 AM »
If that is a "Torque Wrench" and it's got an X through it, then............ :-D
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #342 on: March 31, 2011, 09:32:02 AM »
Looks like you're not to use the hand-brake lever as a club.

I guess they want you to use a proper hammer.

Funny you should mention that.  My MGB came with a lead hammer from the factory in the tool kit.  It works great to get the SU fuel pump up and running on hot, or cold, or damp, or seasonally temperate days.  It's the only thing I've ever used it for, and I thought it smart that they'd include it. 

Odd that it was only an option on cars with knock off hubs - the hubs are always loose, anyway . . .

If that is a "Torque Wrench" and it's got an X through it, then............ :-D

I can expext no torque out of this engine . . . :wink:

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
« Reply #343 on: March 31, 2011, 11:56:10 AM »
Hi Chris,
It's probably the old English saying
"If you don't know what you're doing DON'T touch" :-D

Neil :cheers:
Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #344 on: March 31, 2011, 08:12:47 PM »
Hi Chris,
It's probably the old English saying
"If you don't know what you're doing DON'T touch" :-D

Neil :cheers:

Neil, If I followed that approach, it would still be sitting in a shed at a Morgan dealer in Lake Bluff, Illinois.

Yeah, I bought it from a genuine, honest-to-goodness Morgan dealer.

The rebuild starts in earnest this weekend.  The weather has finally broke, the Chicago Cubs are on WGN Radio (Ron Santo, RIP), and Kate's sick of me getting under foot in the house, and leaving my collection of new parts on the dining room table/desk/armoire/washing machine.  Plenty to do, and I want to have it presentable for the British Car Field Days in Sussex, Wisconsin on the 19th of June.

I suspect it will be the only LSR car at the show.