Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3297524 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #1065 on: April 08, 2012, 08:31:56 PM »
A Cosworth belly tank, perhaps? 

Start with a Ralt chassis . . .

Where do I sign up??  Even willing to travel to Utah.........

F/B

Ask your mortgage broker where to sign . . .  :-D
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1066 on: April 08, 2012, 08:34:10 PM »
Ask your mortgage broker where to sign . . . 

Darn, I was afraid you were going to say that........
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Rob

« Reply #1067 on: April 08, 2012, 08:42:36 PM »
Wasn't there a Cosworth Vega for sale recently? At least I think it was a Vega??

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1068 on: April 08, 2012, 08:44:56 PM »
Rob, it's on its way to Oz as we speak - I suspect it will be setting some records at Lake Gairdner sooner than later.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Rob

« Reply #1069 on: April 08, 2012, 09:00:28 PM »
Chris,

Thanks mate, I thought that was Rich Fox's not the Cosworth powered one though?

Cheers,
Rob

Offline Tman

« Reply #1070 on: April 08, 2012, 09:14:17 PM »
Yes, I remember seeing a Cosworth AND Rich's for sale

Offline Geo

« Reply #1071 on: April 08, 2012, 10:05:43 PM »
Hey, Geo, where were you when we were arguing Whitworth a few weeks back? 
Well, I was going to chime in when getting caught up with the thread and Rob started the "not quite the same but it threads in" and along comes wobblywalrus, reply 1035, with the final stake.  Why was I late, you don't ask, I am working on the kitchen replacement.  Leave it up the the bike guys to keep the car guys on the straight and narrow.  You do have the proper Whitworth bolt?

I remember firing up a Lotus 907 engine on the floor before fitting it in the car as I had some worries about bits and pieces.  The other guys thought I was nuts.  Worked well, not much movement across the floor, answered my question and I did not have to worry about an R+R.

Geo  :-D

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1072 on: April 08, 2012, 10:40:21 PM »
FordBoy:

Here's an amusing little story about a big name magazine trying to take the record set by an unlikely Ford.

I've always liked it, because Jack Dolan is one of my heroes.  The kicker for you, perhaps, is the last three paragraphs.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/not-so-fast-there-bud

Jack's comment some years after the article:

The 83  "Far and Wider" article generated quite a bit of interest.
 They missed more than a few things , including the fact that between El Mirage and Bonneville.
We set 21 class records with 2 EXP/LN7 based cars and were sandbagging about 10%.
I was offered an S-2000 by Honda but didn't need to go to work for them and had faster cars already.
" Life is tough enough, even without wasting it."

Mike

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1073 on: April 08, 2012, 11:34:44 PM »
Capt thundarr,

Chris, been following this invigorated thread as well, remember I have a '63 spitfire waiting to see speed in the future.Seems like Mr. Fordboy got the info to spread.

Is that Spitfire an 1147 or the 1500?  Lots of experience with G-prod 1147's

Best,
F/B
Have both in "baskets" for now. gotta get Amy's Camaro to Ohio this year. Probably start on the Spit next year for my trips down the mile. We will look for the salt a little later.

Frank.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1074 on: April 09, 2012, 10:20:30 AM »
FordBoy:

Here's an amusing little story about a big name magazine trying to take the record set by an unlikely Ford.

I've always liked it, because Jack Dolan is one of my heroes.  The kicker for you, perhaps, is the last three paragraphs.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/not-so-fast-there-bud

Jack's comment some years after the article:

The 83  "Far and Wider" article generated quite a bit of interest.
 They missed more than a few things , including the fact that between El Mirage and Bonneville.
We set 21 class records with 2 EXP/LN7 based cars and were sandbagging about 10%.
I was offered an S-2000 by Honda but didn't need to go to work for them and had faster cars already.
" Life is tough enough, even without wasting it."

Mike

Hi 4-barrel Mike,

Thanks for the link, REALLY enjoyed the read.   No big surprise to me which engine they ended up using on the Ford............. :-D

I've been around racing (of various types) most of my life.   (Age 14 to age 50, when I walked away...)   One thing I have seen repeatedly is:  Smart, experienced folks getting hung out on something because of an "estimate" of whatever.   Why guess, when you could KNOW?!?   A lifetime of experience allows one to shortcut the process "somewhat", but MOST situations are DIFFERENT ENOUGH to warrant at least the formality of checking.   Presuming that because such and so was effective on one engine type, that this would transfer effectively to another engine type, (even within the same engine family), is just foolish or wishful thinking.

Engine development is specific enough that it NO LONGER moves forward using a "Monkey see, Monkey do" formulation.  Way back when, in my jaded youth, many engine types were so poorly developed as racing powerplants, large gains could be made by following the lead of what the front runners were using or doing.   But that only worked if you used a popular engine type, ie, Chevy or Chrysler.  If you had a Ford or anything else, good luck to ya'.    And if you raced an orphan whatever, (Humber "Super Snipe" perhaps), you'd better know what you are doing or again, good luck to ya'.   Racing history of the mid-century is filled with examples of racing series where outsiders came along, and kicked a**, took names, records and ALL THE PRIZE MONEY.

And of course, as my buddy Milwaukee Midget & others have pointed out, the engine is only part of the equation for any racecar.   In the words of the immortal Carroll Smith:   "Tune your chassis and find 100 horsepower."   Regardless of how sexy anyone thinks engines are, development of powerful, AND RELIABLE, racing powerplants is the kind of work that requires a certain type of individual.   Over the course of my career, I've had more than a couple of competitors accuse me of being: "The luckiest ba***rd around".   And while I freely admit to the latter, I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT LUCK DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT.   I simply worked harder and was better at it than some of the others.

"Knowledge is not only knowing what 'works'.  More often, knowledge is knowing what doesn't 'work'."   Think about how much time and effort that takes......................
 :cheers:
Fordboy
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 12:37:29 PM by fordboy628 »

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1075 on: April 09, 2012, 10:24:26 AM »
Capt thundarr,

Chris, been following this invigorated thread as well, remember I have a '63 spitfire waiting to see speed in the future.Seems like Mr. Fordboy got the info to spread.

Is that Spitfire an 1147 or the 1500?  Lots of experience with G-prod 1147's

Best,
F/B
Have both in "baskets" for now. gotta get Amy's Camaro to Ohio this year. Probably start on the Spit next year for my trips down the mile. We will look for the salt a little later.

Frank.

Hi Frank,

Got a pile of SU Carb tuning bits.  If you have any idea of what you might use or need, send me a PM.

Best,
Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1076 on: April 09, 2012, 10:41:06 AM »
Midget,

Will advise when burette has arrived.   Any results of BMC colonoscopy??

F/B

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1077 on: April 09, 2012, 12:33:35 PM »
Midget,

Have just come across 4.25" dia water pump pulley for Ford 4 cyl (what else?) that could be modified to fit BMC mockup.   Is it larger (larger enough to make a difference?) than the BMC pulley currently being used?    Please advise, as I am no longer a fan of "minnow flogging".

Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1078 on: April 09, 2012, 01:01:40 PM »
Midget,

In order to keep me interested, I am thinking the next project needs to be along the lines of a Humber "Super Snipe".  (Sorry, no picture available.)  Not just a regular Humber "Snipe" mind you, has to be a "Super".   And the "Super" engine would have to be someting like a Cosworth Ford 1.0L 4 valve Lucas injected 10,000rpm "screamer" maybe with blow-through turbo.   Not sure what class that car would be, however, am pretty sure how the builders of said project might be "classified".   Sure it would be a creative description............................. :roll:
 :cheers:
Fordboy

The aforementioned Super Snipe, courtesy of Wikipedia.   :-D
Fordboy

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
« Reply #1079 on: April 09, 2012, 01:10:09 PM »
Here we go,
specially for Fb and MM

Ford Sierra P100 pickup (same basic body as your Merkur ?)
Drop the Cosworth 2 litre lump in and get a bigger turbo, then 500 HP easy  :-D

Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care