Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3295428 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #885 on: January 24, 2012, 10:49:12 AM »
Hint:  Proper pronunciation of Chequamegon has three syllables and the "q" is silent.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #886 on: January 24, 2012, 03:55:53 PM »
Mowog?
Wasn't that the kid from jungle book
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #887 on: January 24, 2012, 05:22:55 PM »
Mowog?
Wasn't that the kid from jungle book
G

close, but no dice.....Mowgli.....I'll just give you the bare necessities here because we are supposed to be talking about Chris's kaa.. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #888 on: January 27, 2012, 12:40:08 AM »
. . . we are supposed to be talking about Chris's kaa.. :wink:

"kaa" - that sounds true.

When Kate went to a reading and book signing by David Sedaris, he drew a picture of a kite on the inside of the cover, and wrote beneath it, "If you lived in Australia, this is how they would pronounce your name". :-D

Well, here’s a thinker.

As Frank called it, it was the spring that goes around the valve guide seal.  Here’s the one that remained in place, though hardly intact, alongside a new seal, of which I have extras –

Here’s the center intake valve guide seals – slightly - oh so slightly hammered, maybe even still usable, but standing proud about 3/32 of an inch from the height of the exhaust valve guides, which don’t have seals and were unaffected -

Grummy’s suggestion was to skip the springs, but I suspect I’d still be pulverizing the seals.  Of course, by the time the Colonel made his suggestion to check the clearance between the keeper and the seal by turning it over by hand, I had already pulled the head.  :|

Wisdonm and I met up for drinks on Tuesday (and we will do this again) with Dick Luening, probably the foremost authority in Milwaukee regarding things MG, and we were unable to come up with a source for Teflon seals.  The carbon buildup on the top of the pistons coincided with the destroyed springs.  The cleanup of the piston tops was quite oily, and while I still suspect that I’m running rich, I also suspect I was sucking some oil into my intake charge.

I’m going to look into different retainers, or possibly see if I can have the ones I’ve got machined for clearance.  Another option might be having a new set of guides pressed in with provisions for a different seal.

Yeah, it’s a thinker.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #889 on: January 27, 2012, 02:00:15 AM »
Looking at them, I would suggest that you need to machine a bit off the top of the guides so as the rockers don't hit them
I'm also surprised it didn't break something, but I guess if it's using the seals as bump stops it should be OK
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Tman

« Reply #890 on: January 31, 2012, 04:16:25 PM »
My pal Rocky had this problem and posted over on the HAMB with his Poncho. He was able to trim the SEAL down a tad and get the clearance needed.

Offline Andy Cooke

« Reply #891 on: February 01, 2012, 03:15:28 AM »
I'd assemble a valve with a soft spring and use a DTI to check how much clearance you need.

Also... What valve springs do you use?  They look like singles.  I used ISKY springs,although only to 8500.  You'll need something special for the revs you want.  Your valves sounded like they were floating in the clip you posted, maybe it's the sound quality, or maybe it's just me, but it sounded strained at high revs.

I never used stem seals.

Andy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #892 on: February 01, 2012, 09:42:03 AM »
using the seals as bump stops
That seems to be the case.  I'm looking at a set of modified Triumph-type guides with the teflon seals.

What valve springs do you use?  They look like singles.  I used ISKY springs,although only to 8500.  You'll need something special for the revs you want.  Your valves sounded like they were floating in the clip you posted, maybe it's the sound quality, or maybe it's just me, but it sounded strained at high revs.

I never used stem seals.

Andy

Andy, the springs are Crane, a set of NOS I procured from a Mini spares shop on your side of the pond.  They are dual springs, and quite stiff - stiffer than the Isky's I removed, which are still in good shape.

No seals - and I suspect you push yours pretty hard - you're not the first person to recommend that.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:19:52 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #893 on: February 01, 2012, 06:01:04 PM »
One trick I've only seen on motorcycles is to cut an internal O-ring groove near the valve head end of the valve guide (intake). The exhaust can be run without a seal since it won't mess up an engine using carbs without O2 feedback.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #894 on: February 01, 2012, 06:49:01 PM »
One trick I've only seen on motorcycles is to cut an internal O-ring groove near the valve head end of the valve guide (intake). The exhaust can be run without a seal since it won't mess up an engine using carbs without O2 feedback.

There is a simple and elegant solution - I'll talk to my machine guys.

By the way - go up to Andy Cooke's post, click on his Youtube vids, and check out the screaming Renault he's put together.  I'm somewhat shocked as to how close they let the spectators stand to the track.  :-o

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #895 on: February 16, 2012, 10:08:48 PM »
Just got off the phone with APT in Riverside.  I discussed with Phil (he road races an Elva  :-o sweet) the carbon build up and talked through a few possibilities.  I ordered up a new set of brass floats to replace the goofy plastic ones that seem to be standard issue on newer Webers - it's possible that my rich condition may have been in part due to the newer floats being difficult to adjust properly and a lack of information as to how to set them.  All of the books I have illustrate and indicate brass floats, they're interchangeable with the plastic ones, and this should assure a more accurate set-up.

We also discussed jetting for Bonneville.  He seems to think my air correction jets, emulsion tubes and idle jets are pretty close to where they should be, but he's sending out 3 pairs of main jets to help me dial it in a little closer.  I just picked up an A/F meter, and if I can get it close here at 700 feet elevation, I'm hoping to be able to simply change out a pair of mains when I get to Bonneville, if necessary.

We also discussed the issue I've had with the keepers tapping the umbrellas.  APT makes a valve guide that addresses this issue.  As these guys are the experts, I'm thinking of packing the head off and have them do the operation, and see if there are any other things they might be able to bring to the table.

Other than that, I had a bit of an E-Bay frenzy - selling off some items from my basement.  It's amazing how you can turn a mandocello, some yestertech guitar gear and a few old speakers into a Hans device - or at least enough cash to get one.  It's got me seriously looking a little deeper into my closets - this racing stuff is EXSPENSIVE!

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #896 on: February 16, 2012, 10:14:58 PM »
I have found the newer Webers (made in Spain) very difficult to tune versus the older ones from Italy.  Your assumptions of the floats is spot on.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #897 on: February 16, 2012, 11:56:10 PM »
Other than that, I had a bit of an E-Bay frenzy - selling off some items from my basement.  It's amazing how you can turn a mandocello, some yestertech guitar gear and a few old speakers into a Hans device - or at least enough cash to get one.  It's got me seriously looking a little deeper into my closets - this racing stuff is EXSPENSIVE!

pity I didn't think of my mate Mick for that Mandocello, you could have bought a HANS if he'd bought it.

I'll give you $500USDfor that crappy ol' Vibro-King  :wink:

Yours in Telecasters Dr G.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #898 on: February 17, 2012, 12:01:58 AM »

pity I didn't think of my mate Mick for that Mandocello, you could have bought a HANS if he'd bought it.

I'll give you $500USDfor that crappy ol' Vibro-King  :wink:

Yours in Telecasters Dr G.

No offers yet, but . . .

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bar/2806942587.html

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #899 on: February 17, 2012, 12:38:59 AM »
WTF, I was kidding. :roll:

You can't sell that!!!!

After the car is crashed , the house reposessed, the missus gone, you will need a side table in your bed-sit. You can put your photos on top of it and plug your Tele into it.......and you'll know, no-matter how shit things have turned you still SOUND good.

You know it's the truth.