Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3215581 times)

Offline maj

Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #2055 on: August 24, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »
G just UPS to  us in Cali if you cant get it sent to the salt easily
925 978 7692 txt or call

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #2056 on: August 24, 2011, 09:20:13 PM »
Thanks All

It's all good.
I dropped the aforementioned tyres with some one who is going to El Mirage. Greg, unless I'm mistaken, I thought I heard you say you would be there. So I'll organize that when I'm more organized here. And less tired
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2057 on: August 25, 2011, 12:09:12 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76LbvnoIDkE

Jeez  I am addicted---I can't visit the ABT without going by page 133 and getting my daily fix!!!!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 09:43:22 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2058 on: August 25, 2011, 09:58:13 AM »
I'm home, still trying to get the sleep thing sorted.

You'll get a laugh out of this one Bill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaEzT5MusFs

later
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline maj

« Reply #2059 on: August 25, 2011, 10:02:20 AM »
Yep we will be there , leave them my number to be sure we get the tires, as we will be hot footing it back to WOS from sunday eve

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #2060 on: August 26, 2011, 03:36:54 AM »
Hey Greg , thanks for all the effort, I'd said to Grumm to ditch 'em if it was inconvenient but it seems Kiwi Steve wasn't too far out of the way....hopefully they'll find their way back.

On the flight home the ring and pinion that was the other item that Sparky lugged to Wendover for me ended up in Simon's camera case.....I was loaded to the gunwhales with stuff and had to pay extra as it was....

Now, before it gets too old .

I had a great time at Bonneville.

We arrived on the Friday and just arriving there was an emotional experience itself. The immediate size of it all and the familiar  backdrop made my eyes water.

The most important thing though was the people I met. I met some genuine heroes of mine, they are heroes to me ,I won't name them here. But I also met a lot of people who have been very helpful to me over the years for no real reason other than they love the sport and they liked our car.As it turns out they were all great guys who I felt I'd known for years of course.

I'll start with my spiritual guide Freud , 100%.

Sparky, Wayno, Stainless and Chis Conrad you guys are the tent pegs of my salt tarp it seemed like we already knew each other well, from a beer in the Peppermill car-park at 1am , to a flight over the salt, a perfect t-bone in back-yard Utah and an impromptu jam in the White Goose Bar I felt very welcome.

To all the other people here who I'd never met , the Langlo's,Jon and Nancy, Dan, Rex, T-man, Don,Mike Manghelli, Rick, Kepner!, Sherry, Linda lovely Linda, Sherry Buchta,Fred ,Buddy, Bobby, Sid, Steve ,Tom,Gord and yes even you people I can't remember right now each and every one of you astounded me by how welcoming, accepting and polite you all were.

Thanks a million.

Now, the real buzz for me was something that had been bugging me for a long time. Jack Dolan's health has been poor for some time now and he hasn't been a contributor here for a few years. I asked every SDRC memebr I saw to no avail and was starting to think it was beyond me but then Freud called up Sammy at home in San Diego and she said " send 'em over".I was crippled by a whole bunch of conflicting emotions. Most importantly I wanted to tell Jack that it was he who'd made us feel that what we were doing was important, and it was that that kept us going but just as importantly I wanted to thank him for his absurdist take on the rigid attitude that so many people take and the simple lateral approach that he had used to such success.

I got to do that and it made everything worthwhile.

We spent nearly three hours there, it was great.........yeah, I have to send him a print of this pic...

but I'll be sending him a bit more than that

Thanks Pa.

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Tman

« Reply #2061 on: August 26, 2011, 10:23:06 AM »
I will bring more of that fine IPA next year! :cheers:

Offline Freud

« Reply #2062 on: August 26, 2011, 11:22:26 AM »
Four Door, meetin' you was sorta like meeting your Mom's half cousin. Reluctant anticipation turned out OK when she wore calf high lace

up leather boots and  drank beer from a rusty coffee cup.

Can't wait for you to return.  Good on Ya.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2063 on: August 26, 2011, 01:23:17 PM »
One of the best parts of the trip was when Grumm mistook some dried lawn clippings in front of my shed for Burronium which is found in nature coming from the South end of a Northbound Burro. My rapid and accurate dismissal of such a notion was based on the fact that I have no Burros in my possession at this time.  :roll: Wayno

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #2064 on: August 26, 2011, 11:54:01 PM »
One of the best parts of the trip was when Grumm mistook some dried lawn clippings in front of my shed for Burronium which is found in nature coming from the South end of a Northbound Burro. My rapid and accurate dismissal of such a notion was based on the fact that I have no Burros in my possession at this time.  :roll: Wayno

Are you sure
It looked like Burronium to me.
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2065 on: August 27, 2011, 12:14:58 AM »

Are you sure
G
Don't be so sure. It was Burroniumish at best. You Australaisians are wont to think everything is Burronium. Just ask a Milwaukadonian Like Chris.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2066 on: August 27, 2011, 12:24:35 AM »

Are you sure
G
Don't be so sure. It was Burroniumish at best. You Australaisians are wont to think everything is Burronium. Just ask a Milwaukadonian Like Chris.  :cheers: Wayno

When I worked the Wisconsin State Fair, we referred to that as "Shoe Polish".

Milwaukadonian?  I've been called a lot of things in my life - but that's a first!  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2067 on: August 27, 2011, 12:42:54 AM »

Chris sed "Milwaukadonian?  I've been called a lot of things in my life - but that's a first! "
Stick around. You have no Idea with whom you are dealing.  :-D Fer the record, I am proud to call you my friend.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2068 on: August 27, 2011, 12:59:42 AM »

Chris sed "Milwaukadonian?  I've been called a lot of things in my life - but that's a first! "
Stick around. You have no Idea with whom you are dealing.  :-D Fer the record, I am proud to call you my friend.  :cheers: Wayno

To my beverage brewing, harp huffing, Utahonian friend - I'm humbled.  Thanks!  :cheers:

I'm thinking I'll have some single hive mead ready for you when we meet again . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #2069 on: August 27, 2011, 05:22:59 AM »
OK, enough of the touchy feely.......... I got home and once I'd dealt with the jet lag( I spoke in tongues, moved my eyes independently of one another and dribbled for a bit,) I played a gig last night ,I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little out of sorts......I picked up a guitar on my way through LA to Bonneville and just because I'm a crazy risk taking type of guy I bolted the neck back on post transit, strung it up and took it to the gig .......to be honest I was just bringing it home to sell to cover some travel costs, turns out it's a keeper....something else in the collection will have to go on the block instead. The gig was a blast, the girls have insisted that from now on I have to be sleep deprived and in another time zone if I'm to be playing lead with them.......

Anyway, my return home from Bonneville wasn't without it's own special significance, I saw some things that inspired me no small amount......some of it was the less obvious....... I spoke to the owner/builder of this little Honda 200 quad based tank but right now I can't find his details.....any help would be much appreciated....

anyway, guess what I started today? well for starters I got out the GoPro for a bit of time-lapse

and started dismantling the Prefect chassis

...so I didn't use the cold chisel for every rivet

if you look closely you can see the fillings in my back teeth...

small victory, front and rear separated....

to the right there is the Honda V-Twin I've started to prepare for the transplant.....Colonel, get thinkin' Rev, get drawin'....this has to be built in a month......
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:56:42 AM by Dr Goggles »