Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3300324 times)

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #1305 on: June 30, 2012, 04:44:15 PM »
Good column Chris. I have enjoyed reading them as you post them. :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1306 on: June 30, 2012, 06:50:48 PM »
 Yep, 'nother nice little story.

Good luck on the slog Chris I hope there's some interesting stuff to listen to, and watch.

On that video I'd like to see the ratio of shots that were used on the tear-down versus the build, I didn't notice it go backwards at all on the build....and it started first time?????

there's trickery in them cameras.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1307 on: July 01, 2012, 03:03:09 AM »
On that video I'd like to see the ratio of shots that were used on the tear-down versus the build, I didn't notice it go backwards at all on the build....and it started first time?????
there's trickery in them cameras.
The whole stop-action animation thing has always fascinated me.  What I found intriguing about that Triumph tear-down and reassembly is that he HAD to have story boarded the entire production.  The camera stayed in one place, as did the block for each of those sequences.  That took incredible mechanical patience and artistic acumen.  The more I view it, the more amazed I am about what had to remain consistent behind the scenes to pull it together so artistically.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1308 on: July 11, 2012, 10:46:28 AM »
Finally crawling out of my extended work exile – I forced the issue on Monday when I called in dead, and judging by the way I smelled after a 16 hour day on Sunday, two ‘must attend’ post production parties, and my Lazarus reflex when I got home Monday morning at 4:30, it was probably the right call.

But what’s really cool is that while I was personally on build hiatus, work was progressing.

Dave Bartelt did the chassis work on Stan Johnson’s ‘27 Olds powered roadster, and he’s doing some updates to my cage.  You know a build is taking too long when your cage requires rule change predicated  updates before you even get it to your first SCTA-BNI inspection.  

The new gussets are in place – 1” v ½”.  

Dave also pointed out a few things that had slipped through the cracks, so we’re working on solutions.  When I had Skeeter put the cage in initially, no thought was given to bars under the seat – the seat is suspended between the front seat attachment bar and the cage itself.  Blackslax asked about an “anti-submarine” bar two years ago, and I thought the front attachment was what he was talking about – you attach the nut belt to the bar, and it keeps you from submerging under the dash in a crash.  Still learning this nomenclature, guys.  Dave has some proposals, and I’ve got a call into Kiwi Steve on that.

Dave also pointed out that my seat belt attachments didn’t provide the proper angle of pull, so a rework is in order there, also.

Just as well, the outside bung was welded by yours truly, and it is butt-ugly.

There’s the reason I sold my welder.

We’re also reworking the steering rack crossmember to accept the Gilmer drive Fordboy is putting together for this.  The old cross member was 3/8” from the toothed crank trigger wheel, and quite honestly, I suspect an unfortunate hard braking situation could have shifted the engine forward into the crossmember.  Dave’s opening it all up, which will also make it easier to put a wrench on the snout and adjust valves.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:09:23 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline krusty

« Reply #1309 on: July 12, 2012, 08:04:57 AM »
      Bartelt - haven't heard that name since I left the Midwest. Maybe related to Phil? (yellow Mustang  B/P as I recall). And glad to hear that Dick Leuning is still racing MGs; he built nice fast cars.   We need to talk @ Speed Week so I can catch up on old road racing acquaintances.   vic (#1429 ?/GRMR)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1310 on: July 12, 2012, 09:29:14 AM »
Hey, Vic -

Would love to talk to you at SW, but it looks like World Finals is going to be the event I run this year.  Reasons are work conflicts, time to actually dyno this engine and get it PROPERLY dialed in, and the cooler temperatures, which should be helpful for an oxygen challenged, normally aspirated 5 port tractor motor.

I'll ask Dave about Phil, but of course, Bartelt is actually a common name in the upper Midwest.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1311 on: July 18, 2012, 08:46:14 AM »
Bummer we're going to miss you at Speedweek.

I'm going to try and make WOS, so I"ll cath you there!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Online Jack Gifford

« Reply #1312 on: July 19, 2012, 12:31:20 AM »
Hey, Midget- you'll probably be amused that until today I thought the first MG Midget was in the sixties. But I just discovered that it was in the twenties! 1928(?) M-type Midget. Of course you're old enough to recall their introduction, right? :roll:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 12:33:10 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1313 on: July 19, 2012, 01:17:27 AM »
Hey, Midget- you'll probably be amused that until today I thought the first MG Midget was in the sixties. But I just discovered that it was in the twenties! 1928(?) M-type Midget. Of course you're old enough to recall their introduction, right? :roll:

Most people don't know that the name "Midget" for an MG product dates back that far, and it was common to refer the TC's and TD's as "Midgets".

The one that fascinates me is "The Magic Midget", or the factory EX 127.  750 cc OHV engine set in at an angle to put the drive shaft off to the side of the driver, which let it be built lower to the ground.  Held 26 records between 1931 and 1936, 19 of which were held by George Eyston, a charter member of the 200 mph club.

Still have to finish this one, but lately I've been toying with the idea of a lakester.  Something different.  A MIG drop tank with a ZIL limo motor.

Last picture in this montage shows unfinished blocks and bellhousings in Moscow. 

http://englishrussia.com/2011/10/20/places-that-are-slowly-being-forgotten/

The tanks are available in Poland.

A Comrod, anybody?

Offline wisdonm

« Reply #1314 on: July 19, 2012, 01:31:28 AM »
Reminds me of the AO Smith/Tower Automotive plant on 35th and Capitol Drive, that I worked at for 35 years. At one time we made everybody's car and truck frames, both domestic and foreign.
Stand on it....brakes only slow you down.

Has a checkered past.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1315 on: July 19, 2012, 08:28:37 PM »

Still have to finish this one, but lately I've been toying with the idea of a lakester.  Something different.  A MIG drop tank with a ZIL limo motor.

Last picture in this montage shows unfinished blocks and bellhousings in Moscow. 

A Comrod, anybody?

Midget,

All hazardous waste free & non-radioactive I'm sure.   Are you willing to supply all the Wotka I can consume??
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #1316 on: July 19, 2012, 09:49:58 PM »

A Comrod, anybody?

Midget,

All hazardous waste free & non-radioactive I'm sure.   Are you willing to supply all the Wotka I can consume??
 :cheers:
Fordboy

Fordboy, make Chris take you to the best Wotka! Where the [Polish] buffalo roam: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BBubr%C3%B3wka  :cheers:

All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1317 on: July 19, 2012, 10:04:54 PM »
Woody!  A man after my own heart!

A RYE VODKA!

It's like I told the Mayor of Impound, who was prattling on about the joys of Jack Daniels -

"Corn is for flakes - Rye is for drinking."

I've seen Fordboy enjoy Piwo - I doubt I could keep up with him on Wotka.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 10:11:49 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1318 on: July 19, 2012, 10:39:19 PM »
CAUTION -- CAUTION -- CAUTION

Be care of how you speak of the Mayor of Impound.  If, after all the years, you should appear before him, you don't want to be on his bad side.  He is always fair -- and just -- but you should pray that he is fairly just with you. 
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1319 on: July 19, 2012, 11:29:18 PM »
CAUTION -- CAUTION -- CAUTION

Be care of how you speak of the Mayor of Impound.  If, after all the years, you should appear before him, you don't want to be on his bad side.  He is always fair -- and just -- but you should pray that he is fairly just with you. 

I know - never argue with the officials - I've already had my privileges at the WG threatened by the mayor on these very threads, but Wayno snuck me in last year on probation, and I was on my best behavior.

Perhaps I should bring a token of good will in October . . .

http://www.templetonrye.com/home/