Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3292548 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #3240 on: September 14, 2013, 03:56:49 PM »
Okay – been doing a bit of a re-think here.
I’ve decided to lose the front brakes.  The reason is twofold –

1 – Yes, there is the potential for brake hang-up.  Is it costing me top end?  Possibly – I will never know for certain, because I’m losing them to achieve –
2 – A lower front stance.  Part of the reason I was only able to drop the front end to where it was is because there is a clearance issue with the inside of the front fender. 

I contacted Podunk in Indiana, who just happened to have a front end from a Spridget about 10 feet away from him, and the consensus is this:
If we mill off the brake rotors and recut the inner bearing on the hub, he can shorten the spindle, and we can pull the wheels in about ½ - ¾ inch laterally – which will give me about 4 inches of vertical room, which is just shy of turning the oil pan into a snow plow.

I’m certain a new jacking procedure will be necessary.

Stay tuned for details.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #3241 on: September 14, 2013, 05:25:51 PM »
Really Chris, you use a jack?
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Freud

« Reply #3242 on: September 14, 2013, 06:37:59 PM »
No jack needed.

He can lift that fly with helium balloons.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3243 on: September 15, 2013, 02:36:49 PM »
Really Chris, you use a jack?

Kate's been a wonderful help and an encouraging influence on this project, but there are a few things I can't persuade her to do for me.
So yes, a jack remains a necessity and the sole viable alternative to an argument I won't win.

No jack needed.

He can lift that fly with helium balloons.

FREUD

Glenn, have you priced out helium lately?

http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/26/news/companies/helium-prices.pr.fortune/index.html

Offline Freud

« Reply #3244 on: September 15, 2013, 08:30:49 PM »
I don't use a lot of helium.

Generally the only time is when I take a hit and

answer the fone when there is a solicitor.

They hang up when they hear my squeaky voice.

I'm still using the bottle that I bought in 199I but I

did replace the short hose in 2011.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3245 on: September 15, 2013, 11:12:13 PM »
... but I did replace the short hose in 2011.

FREUD

TOO MUCH INFORMATION THERE FerD
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3247 on: September 16, 2013, 01:58:38 AM »
I’m certain a new jacking procedure will be necessary.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JUMBO-PRY-BAR-900mm-36-SQUARE-TANG-THRU-SHAFT-NEW-/290978185202?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43bfa6bff2

Hmmmm . . . a pry bar.

$59.00 for a high school shop class project?

Although it might make ingress and egress a little easier . . .  :roll:

"Okay, this goes under the lip of the back of the helmet, and I'll use the lateral restraint as a fulcrum, and . . . OUCH! - WAIT! - STOP!"

Okay – working on this front end slamming thing.  Down on the bump-stops, I've got 2 1/2 inches from the exhaust pipe to the ground.  The front frame rail sits just shy of 4" without the engine in it.  I’m ditching the springs and will be looking to source some rubber cone style springs from the old school Mini, which should bolt into the spring tower and ride on the cone tower of the lower A-arm plate.  I still need to pull the front end off – the weekend just ran away, otherwise I’d have had it done, but this is about where it will wind up . . .

Compare that with the original stance . . . Note front bumper with respect to the center of the wheel . . .

With a re-roll of the inside of the fender lip and the narrowing of the track with the brakes cut and narrowing of the hubs, along with the shorter spindles, I will have clearance.

But it is fair to say that the gymkhana days for THIS Midget are over.

Graham, do you by chance know the dimensions of those Dunlop pencil erasers that give the Mini its exquisite ride qualities?

By the way, 3 cheers to Graham in Australia.  He fixed me up with an A+ style front engine plate, complete with a cam tensioner and cover, which after some careful diagnosis, will be making an appearance on the front of the Grenade in short order.  Thanks again - those parts just aren't available over here.

Whereas they're as common as $59.00 pry bars in your neck of the woods.

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3248 on: September 16, 2013, 02:30:18 AM »
sorry I offended your sensibilities.

But have another idea.

You could put a rubber glove over the exhaust with a zip tie and stuff it under the car, it may take a while to inflate, but I'm sure it would work.....

No worries, always willing to help.....

Which reminds me, years ago I worked in a lab , we had a flock of sheep, one of my workmates had a particular fascination with the capacity of latex gloves.There was a scale with a small pen on it for weighing sheep, in a quiet moment Brett would get a large size latex glove and tie it over the end of a hose( this was in a "wet area"), he'd then turn the tap on and record the weight before the glove burst, from memory his record was around 120litres. Just for the record he was Nick Cave's first bass player, oh yeah, and he had a freckle on the end of his nose, odd guy.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3249 on: September 16, 2013, 03:07:17 AM »
The only offense I see is what folks in OZ get charged for things.

I know, smaller economy, Americans are spoiled, I'm cheap - and it IS a REALLY NICE pry bar, what with the handle and all - but for pity's sake, considering what its intended to do, that sounds like a usurious amount of cash.

I shudder to think what Nick Cave's wardrobe set him back.

Which reminds me, years ago I worked in a lab , we had a flock of sheep, one of my workmates had a particular fascination with the capacity of latex gloves . . .

Another "Sheep and Latex" story . . . I feel like I'm at a 4H meeting!  :-D

:cheers:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3250 on: September 16, 2013, 06:09:58 AM »
It is an interesting and valid point you raise Monsieur Midget (that's French for Midget, I checked). Listed as the , and one of the most liveable cities in the world for many years Melbourne has priced itself accordingly. Beyond that Australia is stunningly expensive to most people from overseas, and anyone for that matter who has been overseas. Years ago if you saw a price in Pounds or US dollars an easy reckoner was to just triple it, the thing is the Aussie dollar has risen strongly against those currencies and the mentality for many has remained....that has had a sizeable effect on the economy, people found out about this thing called the internet and suddenly the fastest growing business in the country was parcel delivery and a deafening roar rose from the big retailers.So, the median house price in Melbourne is $562,000...a bottle of Jamesons whiskey is $44 and a basic 6 cylinder sedan is $40,000, the average wage is a bit over $50,000pa.

When we go to the US its like everything is 50% off.

The trade off is, despite what the recently elected government tells us, that we have some of the best economic figures in the world.............

Gonna be a while before anyone gets sheep, latex, Nick Cave and a relevant discussion about economics into this thread....as you were.

Offline wisdonm

« Reply #3251 on: September 16, 2013, 08:49:35 AM »
Dick says "try front wheel drive rims." We'll be at the SCCA Rumoffs all week. Could you use some tickets?
Stand on it....brakes only slow you down.

Has a checkered past.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3252 on: September 16, 2013, 10:22:11 AM »
Dick says "try front wheel drive rims."

I know Dick's had great success with aftermarket stuff on the MGBs for his customers, but the Midget is a 4" on 4 pattern, and finding a 4" wide 15 that will fit a drag front tire is virtually impossible.  Centerline makes one - it's intended for drag guys who keep their 4 bolt Vega/Monza hubs, but offset is the same.

Rules make tires for this thing difficult, to the point of eliminating anything reasonable.  I think the rule says I need a T or U - rated tire or one intended for racing.  Anything meeting that order in a 13 or 14 inch is going to be too wide.  An A70-13 vintage racing tire is available from Hoosier, but I gain no clearance with it.  I even checked into Formula V, Dunlop vintage, Coker tires.  Other than LSR and drag fronts, narrow high speed tires are not to be found.  And I'm not seeing a 13 or 14 inch drag front.

Let me check with Kate about the rumoffs - and if Joe and Dick are there, I'm certain that's not a typo.  :cheers:

Offline wisdonm

« Reply #3253 on: September 16, 2013, 11:20:33 AM »
You're right about the Corvair/Vega/Monza rims. That's where I got my 13 x 7 for my Arkley/Sprite. You already have steel rims. The centers can be cut out and repositioned.

Dick has a bunch of $5 one day passes. He races at 1:00 on Sun. Let me know if you're interested. I'll gift you a set.
Stand on it....brakes only slow you down.

Has a checkered past.

Offline Jon

« Reply #3254 on: September 16, 2013, 01:13:39 PM »
How does this effect your steering /contact patch geometry Chris?
Is the back coming down some as well or is it all turning into take?

Sorry for dumb questions.
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3