Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3215728 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #2100 on: September 09, 2011, 12:46:23 PM »
Dr Goggles;

Thanks for the nice photos and travelogue. It was good meeting you at the Salt Talks... I was the tall guy wearing a cowboy hat.

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2101 on: September 09, 2011, 01:53:21 PM »
OK. I take it the trip held up to your expectations?  :-) Wayno

Offline Freud

« Reply #2102 on: September 09, 2011, 03:04:06 PM »
Did it end 19 miles from Yuma?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2103 on: September 09, 2011, 05:14:14 PM »

FREUD

yeah, that was about the time the real photographer said...."if you take one more photo with that phone you can get out and walk..

Dr Goggles;

Thanks for the nice photos and travelogue. It was good meeting you at the Salt Talks... I was the tall guy wearing a cowboy hat.

Sorry we didn't get to talk Neil, the salt talks wash-out was all a bit mad, I was just discussing that with Scotty yesterday.....actually it was Stainless who saved our bacon there( he tapped me on the shoulder and said in that mountain drawl " get the f*** outa here, no, now! get the f*** outa here"), I didn't realise exactly how fast it would turn to greasy glass, on the way onto the blacktop in the thick of the downpour we saw a real near miss as a guy on a dirt bike, shorts and nothing else tried to get across, a car coming from the lake missed him by no more than a foot, gravel all over the road ten foot visibilty, it was mayhem.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Tman

« Reply #2104 on: September 09, 2011, 07:15:58 PM »

FREUD

yeah, that was about the time the real photographer said...."if you take one more photo with that phone you can get out and walk..

Dr Goggles;

Sorry we didn't get to talk Neil, the salt talks wash-out was all a bit mad, I was just discussing that with Scotty yesterday.....actually it was Stainless who saved our bacon there( he tapped me on the shoulder and said in that mountain drawl " get the f*** outa here, no, now! get the f*** outa here"), I didn't realise exactly how fast it would turn to greasy glass, on the way onto the blacktop in the thick of the downpour we saw a real near miss as a guy on a dirt bike, shorts and nothing else tried to get across, a car coming from the lake missed him by no more than a foot, gravel all over the road ten foot visibilty, it was mayhem.

I was already gone by that point and back at our campsite with a soaked tent................forgot I left the back window open! DOH!@#%$

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #2105 on: September 18, 2011, 05:45:46 PM »
After finally waving goodbye to whatever germ had parked itself in my upper body for the last few weeks I recommenced the assault on the Sprite of Sunshine. Just sitting there in the back yard it had been giving me the irrits, knowing it needed just a couple of days of intense work to get it into shape where I could start organizing the important things like the motor......

In the book I should have written called "Workshop Practice for Idiots" there would have been an introductory chapter called "tack welds". When you use something sporadically you gradually and randomly lose skills, often without realising it. The first thing you forget when welding , or not welding is the placement of appropriate tack welds, they should be easy to remove, and they should at least be strong enough to stay there for , aw, five minutes?

No , don't put that tack weld in the corner there where you can't get at it with a disc, no, don't lay a full bead, it's supposed to be temporary............

I think I got a little excited a few weeks back, everything just seemed to fit right. Well that was until I started to dismantle things a little more, the radius rods, the tie rod.......each piece that came off was a datum point that had made it all make sense. Once I had a front and a rear end, and two rails it sort of went into flux a little bit...that and the bit where I wrote down the ACTUAL wheelbase.... so I had to work it out again.

It took a while to get the laser aligners calibrated but once that was organized I whacked it on the chassis jig.

I welded it in all the places that I couldn't easily get a cut off wheel into and then took it back to the tank....

I'd made a start on stripping out the bottom section of the tank as it was going to be cut time soon...

It left me with a few bulkhead pieces...one of them has "Front bottom" written on it....

Turns out I was still shooting a little wide and would have to narrow the chassis at the front....you'll also notice I was about to have a bit of an interference problem where the front axle was getting chummy with the rails.I haven't any photos but the  chassis got notched there and reinforced with some heavy angle...

After that it was time to get the rear end into some sort of shape, I'll cut some pieces of 1/4 plate and sandwich the rail and weld the 1/4 to the axle tube

Looking better from that end....

It was at about this time that the Reverend turned up.... I was cutting clearances out of the tank skin.....

Then I took a bold step and cut a big hole in the top of it....

from there it was just a short step to jumping in it and making brm brm brrrrrm noises.

yep 5 years old....

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2106 on: September 18, 2011, 05:51:07 PM »
I think the hubcaps should stay.  8-) Wayno

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2107 on: September 18, 2011, 06:32:42 PM »
You know, if it didn't look so damned right, I'd be laughing my ass off.

You on track - time-wise?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #2108 on: September 18, 2011, 06:56:17 PM »
You know, if it didn't look so damned right, I'd be laughing my Acura off.
You on track - time-wise?

Save your breath Lofty, there's heaps of laughs left in this yet.... but, no unless I have some ridiculous productivity burst in the meantime it won't be ready for the Chopped show.... I have to say though the moment I sat in it I thought "ooooh, this could be good, this could be really, really good"....

I think the hubcaps should stay.  8-) Wayno

Yes, the hubcaps will stay, there will of course be some Moons but the caps are cool, and Wayno I dunno if you're yankin my chain or not.............

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #2109 on: September 18, 2011, 07:25:47 PM »
I can see this is going to be one MEMORABLE build.

On behalf of the future driver, is KY Jelly available in the antipods?
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #2110 on: September 18, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »

Thanks IB...the answer is , of course we have ready supplies of lube......how else do you think I get my head out of my "deuterostome blastopore" in order to get anything at all done.....

:wink:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2111 on: September 18, 2011, 08:17:32 PM »
Chain? Me? Heck no. Believe it or don't, I really mean it. By the way, I'm enjoying the mooosic.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2112 on: September 18, 2011, 09:31:53 PM »

Thanks IB...the answer is , of course we have ready supplies of lube......how else do you think I get my head out of my "deuterostome blastopore" in order to get anything at all done.....

Consulting with the Doctor - Two predominant symptoms:

A tickling sensation in the prostate when one blinks.
Sneezing promotes simultaneous flatulence, sometimes referred to as blow-by.

You might have picked it up stateside - it's pretty common.

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #2113 on: September 18, 2011, 09:53:35 PM »

Consulting with the Doctor - Two predominant symptoms:

A tickling sensation in the prostate when one blinks.
Sneezing promotes simultaneous flatulence, sometimes referred to as blow-by.

You might have picked it up stateside - it's pretty common.

tough morning, I haven't blinked for the last hour and a quarter, kept a hankerchief handy and had the door propped open just in case.

Chain? Me? Heck no. Believe it or don't, I really mean it. By the way, I'm enjoying the mooosic.  :cheers: Wayno

...played a ripping gig yesterday Wayno,used that black Tele again, that was something good that I picked up in the States.....BTW I did leave a lead in the White Goose Bar.......you can claim it, I'll collect it next time we play together...

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2114 on: September 18, 2011, 11:07:38 PM »
You know, you could just take what's done to the show on the truck.  I know that when I attend car shows, it's usually the unfinished projects that draw me in the longest, and cause me to think the hardest.

Just a thought.