Author Topic: Salt Talks 2010  (Read 24470 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Salt Talks 2010
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 07:31:32 PM »
My early driving was on a Ford 8N -- but I suppose I could mosey over to the green and yellow side for a while.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 10:34:33 PM »
Now on that Tattoo,

The proper spelling would be:  

BIG JOHN, DEAR!

We could have it done in Reno one evening.

arteest FREUD

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 06:39:26 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 02:24:11 PM »
If you're going to let Freud teach your son how to drive in reverse......tell your boy you love him, you've always been proud of him......get a huge insurance plan on him....and tell him it's been nice knowing him!!    :-D

I love Freud a lot,  but I don't believe I would want him teaching MY kids that stuff!!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 02:30:05 PM »
Let me tell you, When Don Vesco was still with us Freud even scared him driving, but what else can you expect with a guy that rides nude on a motorcycle, was he trying to one up Rollie Free who at least wore a speedo.

BTW Lynda are you back in Utah??
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 02:36:54 PM »
Sorry but Freud's techniques are not like using Fortran or at best DOS. They are obsolete in the new cars because of his reputAtion and exploits.  Bad boy Glenn. You ruined it for all of us, just like the shoe bomber    . I'm in Beirut right now so I know about this stuff.
Richard

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 02:39:32 PM »
Sorry I meant it's like Fortran or DOS. Gone forever.
Richard

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 05:58:36 PM »
Sorry I meant it's like Fortran or DOS. Gone forever.
Richard

:?  I use DOS regularly to copy files downloaded from the internet onto 5 1/4" floppies that can be read by my TRS-80  :-D

Retro (REAL Retro, not Hollywood retro) is fun.  Try it!

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline hitz

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 10:27:04 PM »
Now you guys are making me feel bad! My lakester runs on DOS and the driver runs on long term memory :?

Harvey

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 10:46:54 PM »
That may be a good thing Harv. I'm finding that short term is the first to go! :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Freud

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 01:09:51 AM »
All phases follow that pattern in rapid succession.

I'm blessed with absolutely no short term memory.

I can't remember what caused Doris to holler at me as she called the

carpet people about red wine stains on the new carpet.

Memory is like a keg at a Harley Party. It goes away too soon.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 10:44:33 PM »
Well, well -- it's only 2448 hours or so 'til Salt Talks 2010 gets under way.  The annual event -- a gathering of land speed racers and hangers-on, many of whom know each other because of this website and the Forum.  Salt Talks is held each year on the Sunday evening of SpeedWeek -- this year it'll be the 15th of August.

Most of you folks know about the get-together.  For those who don't -- Nancy and I "host" about 300 or way more of our closest friends at the Bend in the Road.  We offer hamburgers, hot dogs, pasties*, soft drinks, and some chips.  There'll be donation cans available if you care to toss in a few bucks to help us pay for the gathering, and to support landracing.com in general.  it's our biggest fundraiser of the year.

We sell some Salt Talks t-shirts, and also have landracing.com shirts, neck coolers, even bumper stickers.  This year we're going to have Salt Talks name tags.  We're making them here at our new business (Kudos Laser Engraving), so we'll need your order well before the event.  Let's say the cutoff date will be late July, ok?  The tags will sell for $5 each and will help all of us know who the heck we're talking with.  After all -- we're pretty much faceless on the Forum, so the tags will help us know who's who.  If you want one - and I'll put up more reminders and "ads" for them -- please email or PM me for details.  I'll have the artwork up here soon so you can see what you'll get.

*Pasties, for those who don't know, are a Cornish edible.  Think of a beef pot pie, sorta, that's completely enclosed in a crust and has no gravy.  We've bee featuring them at Salt Talks for about 5 years -- and they're always popular.  I ordered the 100 that we get - today!  So that tells me that we're getting close to Salt Talks '10.  See you at the Bend in the Road.

John,

How we go about ordering up a name tag and making payment?

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 08:50:31 AM »
Yup -- I was thinking about that.  Nancy even left me a note reminding me to get my hiney started on doing that kind of stuff.  I've sent the photos to Travis, the fella that works for us and runs the program to convert photos to laser images, and he'll be making up the background outline of the mountains any day.  I'll also get moving on an order form -- and payment arrangements.  Thanks, Dak, for the elbow-joggle.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 01:08:57 PM »
Okay, boys and girls -- here's the first definitive statement about the name tags.  Please read and act accordingly -- like ordering a batch for you and your crew.

We'll be making name tags with an outline of the mountains behind the Salt Flats in the background.  The tags will be 1" tall by 3" wide -- and will have easy-to-read colors (con't know yet, but I like white that engraves red).  We'll have enough room to put name and team, perhaps "Forum" name as well as real name and team -- depends on how big those are.  We can engrave any amount on the tag, but don't want to be sending out magnifying lenses to all.

The tags will be $5.00 each, payable in advance, and will be available for pickup at our pit and also at Salt Talks.  We must have the order in hand by about the 20th of July.  Payment can be by check, money order, or Paypal (hell, send cash if you're brave).  Payment must, I say again, be made before we'll start engraving your tag.

These can be worn at any time, of course -- not just at Salt Talks.  But I've been to too many Salt Talks' where I didn't remember the name of the person to whom I was speaking at the time -- so these should help reduce that embarrassing situation's frequency.

Let's hear from you soon!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 03:09:02 PM »
Okay-- here's a question for those of you from the Antipodes (you know who you are):

How do I find out if the band that played at Salt Talks '09 - will be there and playing again this year?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 06:17:23 PM »
Okay-- here's a question for those of you from the Antipodes (you know who you are):

How do I find out if the band that played at Salt Talks '09 - will be there and playing again this year?

I guess you could just listen for the music  !!!    :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com