Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3300456 times)

Offline Rob

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #1575 on: September 23, 2012, 01:31:19 AM »
It lives! Well done guys, a major hurdle overcome.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1576 on: September 23, 2012, 08:30:32 AM »
Click on the pic for the good news -

It lives! Well done guys, a major hurdle overcome.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

And like the little newborn Pommey wh*** it is, pissing oil & dribbling water amidst making noise.......      Ahhh, defacation and regurgitation, coupled with noisy demands for attention, now that's what birth is about!!!!!!!

"And the man who wields a steel rocker pillar, shall triumph and lay waste to he who is armed with only an aluminum rocker pillar, expunging the deeds of the latter from the annals of history!!!!!"

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 09:04:36 AM by fordboy628 »
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1577 on: September 23, 2012, 09:02:43 AM »
Midget,

As a vague awareness of coherence returns to my senses, my first thought formed is:  "Crap, gotta go back to Milwaukee again today!!"   AFTER, I do a thirty mile 'detour' south............"

Ah well, in for a penny, in for a pound(ing).  Or some such.......    Only one cogent thought at a time.

Bringing with:   panel cutter for oil filter
Will dig thtrough bits for:  BLMC rocker cover gasket  (50% chance I have one)

ANYTHING ELSE YOU CAN THINK OF FOR ME TO DRAG WITH???

Hitting the road at about 8:15am, call on cell after that.  You'll have an hour or so to catch me before I hit the point of no return.......
F/B

PS: Want to get some pics of changing out the valve springs with the head on, etc for the photo record.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 09:08:52 AM by fordboy628 »

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1578 on: September 23, 2012, 11:05:58 AM »
Yea it lives :cheers: Congrats....And Keith Turk was not within ear shot :-D :-D
Frank
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #1579 on: September 23, 2012, 11:06:27 AM »
 :cheers:

Excellent! Sounds smooooth! Was that running in the cam? Were you using lighter valve springs, now swapping out to race spec?

Congrats!  :-D :-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1580 on: September 24, 2012, 01:27:21 AM »

Excellent! Sounds smooooth! Was that running in the cam? Were you using lighter valve springs, now swapping out to race spec?

Congrats!  :-D :-D

Correct - just running the outers for about 15 minutes to bed in the cam. 

I owe a HUGE debt of gratitude to Joe Radosevich.  He was at the SCCA Runoffs at Road America this afternoon when we broke a head stud - more on that later.

I called Dick Luening at MG Limited - a rare man who picks up his business phone on a Sunday, and asked if he had a replacement.

"No", he said, "But let me get you Joe's number".  I got ahold of his son, Brian, he called his dad, Brian called me back, and by 5:00 PM ON A SUNDAY, I had 2 new ARP head studs in hand - One and 3 spares.

Here's the beautiful part - I've known Joe for over a year.  He recently sold his Vintage/Prod Midget, and last year, I bought the yoke for my driveshaft from him.

Additionally, I caught up with him at the Sussex British Car Field Day last June, and his car featured prominently in the article I wrote for Moss Motoring -

http://www.mossmotoring.com/to-go-to-show-to-drive-or-tow/

I owe him 4 studs and a bottle of Captain Morgan.

Much done, much to do.  While I'm in a thrash, I don't feel nervous about this one.  Despite the setbacks, with Fordboy's help, Kate's understanding, the help of fellow racers and the encouragement of friends and family, I feel as though I'm coming into the World Finals better prepared and more relaxed than I could have imagined.

Folks, it's going well.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1581 on: September 24, 2012, 01:29:07 AM »
Yea it lives :cheers: Congrats....And Keith Turk was not within ear shot :-D :-D
Frank

Frank, I don't know about that - it's pretty loud.  :evil:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1582 on: September 24, 2012, 09:09:01 AM »
All good stuff. Can't wait to her you and see your results at the world finals. I'll be at home in N.C. with my ear plugs in. :-D Thrash on my man.

Frank
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1583 on: September 24, 2012, 09:38:36 AM »

Congrats!  :-D :-D

More on running in the cam..........

Midget, Graham, et all,

As possibly most of you are aware, the new cam is shorter duration AND higher lift than the previous bumpstick.  This creates higher velocities and accelerations for the valve train resulting in a requirement for: Higher valve spring pressure, both open & seated.  The problem is that higher valve spring loads typically scuff/score/gall/spall steel cams and chilled iron (or steel) tappets during the initial fire up.  This occurs with regularity, REGARDLESS of the lubricant(s) used.  The only sure (?) bet for the steel/chilled iron or steel/steel parts to survive unscathed is to use the complicated run-in procedure I described previously in Midget's Diary.  (Reply #1168 on page 78.)  This includes running-in on lighter valve spring pressure at lower rpm's.  This is typically accomplished by using the outer springs only, and running from 3000 to 4000 rpm for about 15 minutes.  Cam/lifter bed in can then be evaluated by comparing valve lash after the run-in to the original settings.  Valve lash closing up slightly is OK & normal, if the valve lash opens, there could be a lobe/lifter problem that needs to be investigated.  Anyway, those were the dark arts as practiced in the Midget's Lair, somewhere unspecified on the northwest side of Beerhaven.

Some pics of the setup used to change out the springs with the head still on the engine

As you can see, Chris DID find a use for aluminum rocker pillars...............

Camera shy engine elf at work  (play?)                                      Value of electrical clarity:  Priceless!!

Finally got the jewel screwed back together & running, inspite of the head stud debacle, around 9:30pm, Beerhaven std time.  (Midget will need to post how another MG was required for this process......)

Value of eardrum shattering wail @ 8000rpm:   PRICELESS!!  
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:46:50 AM by fordboy628 »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1584 on: September 24, 2012, 09:42:08 AM »
A huge thanks to Fordboy – Not only did he do overtime at the Pommy Performance Playhouse, he actually skipped watching the Bears beat the Rams.  At least ONE Chicago team can beat a St. Louis team . . .

Bears 23, Rams 6

Cardinals 6, Cubs 3

Packers tonight – I’ll be busy with other things.

So much got done this weekend –

Carb is ready
New linkage
Tranny and diff refilled
Rocker pillars of STEEL in
Cam bedded in
Leak down tested
A/F sensor installed
Driveshaft hooked up

Mrs. Midget made Bangers and Mash for us (Yeah, on the weekend of our anniversary, while I was out in the garage, my vegetarian consort made us British Pub food – I suspect the payback for this one is going to be huge).

A problem on the horizon, one I must figure out tonight, is programming the XDI-2 unit.  I’ve got a new computer that I need to make functional with it, and a steep learning curve to make it happen before tomorrow when I have an appointment at Late Model Throttle for some dyno pulls.

Also to do – install the seat/lateral restraint, install the blow blanket,  finish the window locks, install the grill, about a dozen stupid-yet-essential items – but everything left to do is just that, stupid little items.  I don’t want to jinx it by saying it’s easy, but it is clearly within grasp.

I’ll let Fordboy make the comments on the studs – It will doubtlessly be more technically accurate, and likely infinitely funnier.

Wisdonm - how were the runnoffs?  You still joining us tomorrow?

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1585 on: September 24, 2012, 10:00:13 AM »
Midget,

Working on the list of bits I'll bring to the dyno session, includes Weber stuff, some spark plugs, go/no go gage, etc.   Call/post/email any requests.

F/B

Will try to get 4   8x1.25 (metric) nylock nuts for the carb/manifold.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:03:32 AM by fordboy628 »

Offline Freud

« Reply #1586 on: September 24, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »
This build diary is so special. Details enough for any gearhead.

No wonder you have had 3000 hits in a week.

GREAT JOB fellows.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1587 on: September 24, 2012, 03:27:22 PM »
Midget,

4   8mm x 1.25tpi nylock nuts in hand.   Courtesy of my local Ace Hardware Home Center, with the largest selection of 'Hillman' specialty fasteners in Lake County, IL.   Kind of an "old fashioned" Hardware store that still stocks hardware...................
F/B

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1588 on: September 24, 2012, 03:52:59 PM »
 :cheers: Good luck tomorrow! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1589 on: September 24, 2012, 04:05:11 PM »
Google search has netted local source for "Gasgacinch" gasket sealer/adhesive.   Off to see the wizard..........

F/B