Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3317612 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #1440 on: September 04, 2012, 11:22:42 PM »
That's a really great cleaner Freud!  :evil:

Pete

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #1441 on: September 05, 2012, 01:43:29 AM »
I think Fordboy's longer-stud-through-the-cover suggestion would be much stronger (not 'minimal'), as the bending stress on the stud would be reduced to a tiny fraction of what you now have. This bending moment is concentrated at the final thread at the front surface of the plate (and not reduced by the sleeve glued to it)- hence my mention of stress risers at the minor diameter.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1442 on: September 05, 2012, 09:18:52 AM »
Mornin', Jack. 

The sleeve is actually threaded tight onto the stud, not just glued to it.  The threads are fine, and run the entire length of the stud and sleeve, and I used a channel locks to clamp it down to the plate, then polished out the galling.

I know what you mean about side loads on a bolt and a plate like this.  Two years ago, the hardened bolts that attach the tensioner on the front of my MGB for the supercharger gave way as you described - all 3 of them.  They used spacers and a plate, and were under side loads much heavier than this, and yes, they were 1/4 28, but they were also 3 inches long and only supported by the threads in the plate.  The side load on this is not nearly as heavy or variable as what the MGB had going on, and it went 20,000 miles before it let go.

So when I say "gut level", that's the experience that I'm gauging it off of.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1443 on: September 05, 2012, 09:26:14 AM »
With regard to your previous oil spool / seat issues I also found this!  :-o

Here: http://home.earthlink.net/~roygmisc1/convert1/convert1.html

Conversion of auto to Manual, but some really useful stuff!  8-)
Graham,

EXCELLENT JOB MAN!!  Digging out that pic of the sectioned block really clarifies the situation better than any schematic diagram could.  It puts into prespective how much is going on in the limited amount of space available, and why it is so important to remove all those plugs to clean ALL the oil system passages.   5 bags worth of oil passages in 3 bags worth of space.......   Thanks for the digging.   BTW, stay tuned, if this cam performs as well as I expect, this will be the grind you'll need for your 970cc/1000cc project.

Midget,

I have no doubt the cam will fit, Dema has never failed when something unique was required.   Based on my conversations with him, he knew exactly what was required.  You'll just need to verify the clearances (valve to piston) available, so as to define the limits of the possible cam timing options.   Will be available to help out with that process upon my return from the Alamo.  Get some sleep, you'll feel better & be more "optimisty". :-D (Uh Oh, just remembered, you suffer from the Cubbie fan curse........ :cry:     And living in Beerhaven, you just can't run a Bears flag up the pole without risking life & limb. :-o     I guess that's what PBR is for..........  :-))  I'm willing to debase myself to test the Lone Star & others while at the Alamo.  If anything promising is discovered, I may return with libations worthy of a celebration..........

Also, I think your tensioner setup will survive in the short term.  Long term though, (whatever the heck that means in racing) the 'A' Plus tensioner setup (and perhaps others) should be investigated and evaluated.   Racing engines are so much like Ebola viruses, you just can't predict how things might mutate...........
 :cheers:
Fordboy
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 09:39:52 AM by fordboy628 »
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
« Reply #1444 on: September 05, 2012, 12:46:35 PM »
Milmk Midg,
A few years back the son and I hotrodded a toy 22r for his low rider P.U. Took a 20R (hemi head) and put it on a 22R block. It went like hot stink! Anyway.

20R/22R’s have a hydraulic tensioner (if you could get oil pressure to it, food for thought) and some real long chain guides (double rollers).

One of the guides is curved!

When I saw the “spring” you are using I asked “Self, where have you seen something like that?” Self can’t remember a quick as he once could!

But, I remembered. It has two mount holes, steel with a Teflonly/rubbery/hard as shit coated surface (this is engineering speak for I don’t know) for the chain to ride on. I have seen these guides last well above 100K miles. Make sure it is the 20R 22R (early) kits.

Try this. R70015 –PCI Kit for the curved guide. $9.98.  “Preferred Components, Inc.”

"Trim it, whittle it, make it work." You should see the roll pan I fab'ed for my 52 Chevy P.U. out of the bottom of two Dodge Sebring doors.
"Trim it, whittle it, make it work."

East Coast Cherry Pickers Association (ECCPA) and proud of it!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1445 on: September 05, 2012, 09:02:50 PM »
It’s BAAAACK . . .

Net is hung –

And a very cool clearanced crossmember in place –

To Dave at Streets Chassis!   :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1446 on: September 05, 2012, 09:44:05 PM »
Woooo hoooo Chris looks good. Does the net tend to fall outward on it's own?

Boooya  Frank.

PS I can't work on Amy's Camaro untill I get the master bath remod done...... :roll: :cry: :-(
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1447 on: September 05, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
Chris;

And I thought my roll cage was hard to get in & out of.............. :-P

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1448 on: September 05, 2012, 10:28:48 PM »
Chris;

And I thought my roll cage was hard to get in & out of.............. :-P

Wait until next week when the seat with the required head restraint goes in - you know, the one that has to extend to the front of the helmet . . .

I've been doing some flexibility exercises . . .

Offline Freud

« Reply #1449 on: September 06, 2012, 12:13:57 AM »
Since '63

Offline Tman

« Reply #1450 on: September 06, 2012, 12:35:36 AM »
That cage is like a Caddy compared to the Unibody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even your lanky self can get in and out of that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1451 on: September 06, 2012, 12:44:27 AM »
That cage is like a Caddy compared to the Unibody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even your lanky self can get in and out of that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

I hope I never get the opportunity to test its capabilities.  :wink:

Skeeter, the guy who built it, put it succinctly - "An 8 second cage in a 16 second car."
  :cheers:

Freud, I think I'm just going to fly you out here and have you finish the documentation.  :-D

Thanks, my friend.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1452 on: September 06, 2012, 12:52:49 AM »
Woooo hoooo Chris looks good. Does the net tend to fall outward on it's own?

Boooya  Frank.

PS I can't work on Amy's Camaro untill I get the master bath remod done...... :roll: :cry: :-(

Keep her happy, Frank, and be glad you live in a house with more than one bathroom.

It's going to require practice - remove steering wheel, unlock belts, drop net, open door, then pull the pin on the swing-out head restraint, climb out, call chiropractor, repeat.

Offline Tman

« Reply #1453 on: September 06, 2012, 01:10:59 AM »
Chris, the opening on the pickup is less than half what you have there. Even my lakester is easier!@

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #1454 on: September 06, 2012, 04:27:01 PM »
Looks good.

Billl
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM