Author Topic: M/C minimums again.  (Read 83266 times)

Offline MadDuck

M/C minimums again.
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 04:01:42 PM »
Sorry JackD I just don't understand your last post.  Susan Robertson running on that record in 2004 is in the club.  Susan Robertson running on that record in 06 is not in the club.  Fast women on motorcycle first started showing up at Bonneville in 2003.  Rules were changed at SCTA and Bonneville 200mph club and the first person impacted is an extremely good spokesperson for the sport who happens to be a woman.

I feel that this could present problems long term for the sport.  My guess is that Susan Robertson can fight her own fight should she choose too, so I don't want  to make too big a deal out of this.  I would like someone to look at rule changes in a systematic manner to see if goals are being accomplished.  Not giving Susan membership seems to me to require a rule rewrite as unintended consequences have arisen.
Fly on RI Rocket #27

Offline Stan Back

M/C minimums again.
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 05:35:38 PM »
Let's all go back and read Jimmy Six's statement . . .

Posted: 16 Aug 2006 01:58 am?? ?Post subject:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not going to argue the pros or cons of minimums or whether it was a male or female rider. The 1350cc/APS-G record is 210.132 held by Rick Yacoucci, that's GASOLINE.

A 215 minimum with a similar M/C running on FUEL should not have any problem reaching 215. Notro or Nitrous should do it. To me this only proves you can set FUEL records on parts-wash until some really wants a hat....215 might be too soft.....Jack?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

aswracing

M/C minimums again.
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 06:35:52 PM »
My mistake ... I thought he was referring to the Fireman's post ... sorry Jack.

I still agree with the Fireman though 8)

Offline joea

M/C minimums again.
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 09:47:27 PM »
the mps-f 1000cc record is over 221  mph.........do ya
think a 1350 should be able to go over 215 to be an
accomplishment.................?

Offline MadDuck

M/C minimums again.
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 11:02:38 PM »
Joe,

It seems that team amo bike added a blower and two years of experience and managed to slow the bike by 7mph,   Logic would tell me that the blower should have gone in the mid 230's.  Hell the FL 600cc APS-BF went over 201 this year the minimums for 1000cc are going to have to go up to what 265 to be "fair"??

Everyone knows that we are at the mercy of the salt and weather on mph.  How fast was that bike last year??  How does this year compare to 01 when that 223 was laid down??  

Any bike record over 200mph is one hell of an achievement.  Comparisons for motorcycles at these speeds only make sense when you are running under equal conditions.
Fly on RI Rocket #27

Offline wheelspin

• http://www.alchemymotorsports.net
M/C minimums again.
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 11:44:49 PM »
I agree with the minimum's 100% and in my newbie opinion they are much to low in most classes. It is my understanding that breaking a record,getting into the "club", or establishing a new record should be a monumental achievement and not given out to any guy who buys a new Hayabusa,straps on a turbo and decides this is ego boost for a year. There simply must be a guideline to establish what is respectable with the current technology. It seems that all of our successes or failures are predominatly determined by atmospheric conditions anyway. Welcome to racing, if it were easy everybody would do it.

aswracing

M/C minimums again.
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 11:47:56 PM »
Wheelspin, strapping a turbo onto a 'busa and going 200 won't get you into the club, minimums or not. You also have to beat the existing record, which I believe in that case would be one of John Noonan's records, and John sets some damn fast records.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
M/C minimums again.
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 11:55:42 PM »
I have never been 200 on a bike or in a car and probably never will.  And being a bit ignorant I always thought if you went 200 you got into the 200 club.  I had no idea there were minimums.  I had a look at the above mentioned 200 club site.  I was fascinated by the fact that some of the classes have 300 mph and above minimums.  This is where I get lost.  You have to go over 300 mph to join the 200 mph club?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline wheelspin

• http://www.alchemymotorsports.net
M/C minimums again.
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2006, 12:04:05 AM »
AWS,
How about just buying a current Moto GP 500cc bike. 230hp very efficient aerodynamically etc.  Really easy to get into the 200 club if you have the funding.....You are missing my point

Offline interested bystander

female superiority on bikes
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2006, 12:23:52 AM »
Any you folks pick up on the Angelle girls comments after/during the last NHRA event? She was complaining about the wind(s) during her runs, and was definitely in the max body -english mode keeping control.

But then, her Suzuki only goes about 190 in 1320 feet.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
We need minimums
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2006, 01:11:20 AM »
Quote from: Nortonist 592
I have never been 200 on a bike or in a car and probably never will.  And being a bit ignorant I always thought if you went 200 you got into the 200 club.  I had no idea there were minimums.  I had a look at the above mentioned 200 club site.  I was fascinated by the fact that some of the classes have 300 mph and above minimums.  This is where I get lost.  You have to go over 300 mph to join the 200 mph club?

There was a time in the not to distance past (2003) that there was no record in the B/BGS class. If we were to go by your plan if I ran 201mph I'd get in the 2 club, this would be great, or would it? You see, the record in C/BGS is 328 mph, Jack would say I should be ashamed and I agree. This is why we have minimums, it's not a perfect system but it's better than what I have pictured above. JMHO
Figuring out minimums is a very difficult job, I wouldn't want it but the people who have the job (Scott Guthrie et al) spend a lot of time and effort to get them as close to being reasonable as possible. It's not a GOB club and it's not perfect but what is?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

aswracing

M/C minimums again.
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2006, 08:37:39 AM »
Quote from: wheelspin
AWS,
How about just buying a current Moto GP 500cc bike. 230hp very efficient aerodynamically etc.  Really easy to get into the 200 club if you have the funding.....You are missing my point

But only one person can do that for each class. That's my point that you're missing.

And if preventing people from buying their way into the club is really the intent of the minimums, I don't think that'll be effective anyway. There are numerous speed shops that will build you a bike capable of setting a record above 200. And I don't believe you can legislate how much money a person spends racing anyway.

So far, by my count, a whopping 28 people have made the club on motorcycles. Who, among those 28, are in the club illegitimately in your opinion? I just don't see the problem that they're attempting to solve. What I do see is a whole host of problems caused by the minimums, like unrealistic numbers and minimums that are above the record speeds of higher classes.

Courtney

M/C minimums again.
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2006, 09:50:21 AM »
Some of this seems to have borrowed logic from government entitlement programs.

If. . . and I am not . . . one were to accept the "it's easier these days" logic in the course of rightfully denying very fast folks memebership in the 200 MPH club, the natural next step is to go back and remove those who reached the goal, years ago, with unfair advantages such as streamlining.

200 MPH . . . well, is 200MPH.

If you want to start another club that recognizes "speed : current technology level" that's another issue.

Once the objective 200.000 MPH bar is moved any hope of equity is lost.

Offline thundair

• http://grayshot.com
M/C minimums again.
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2006, 10:53:24 AM »
I have become and expert of the obvious over the years ...so here is my input ..Just start a 300 MPH club and look down on all those still in the 200's lol :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Or get a British bike (no fairing), and don't worry about it..

Cheers

Offline RichFox

M/C minimums again.
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2006, 11:37:56 AM »
I think Courtney is right. Courtney should start another club, make all the rules and make himself the first member. I am sure it will be a very prestigious club to hold membership in. I have gone 208, one way and I'm not a member, and never will be. Maybe you should petition the EEOC for a hearing.