Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3298919 times)

Offline Freud

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #1530 on: September 17, 2012, 10:49:25 AM »
Congratulations on 100,000 views on your diary.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1531 on: September 17, 2012, 10:55:51 AM »
Congratulations on 100,000 views on your diary.

FREUD

Half of them were mine . . .  :wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Will@Apex

• New folks
« Reply #1532 on: September 17, 2012, 02:55:50 PM »
FYI:  Planning to be @ Apex (the friendly machine shop) 1/2 the day on Monday.

Don't let him fool you, we're not that nice  :-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1533 on: September 17, 2012, 04:28:07 PM »
FYI:  Planning to be @ Apex (the friendly machine shop) 1/2 the day on Monday.

Don't let him fool you, we're not that nice  :-D

Just give the baby his bottle, and burp him before he drives home.

Seriously, thanks for making the space available to him - I've been the recipient of his work, and it's world class.  8-)

Offline Freud

« Reply #1534 on: September 17, 2012, 11:29:42 PM »
You have had 179 views today.

That's strong.

Congratulations.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1535 on: September 18, 2012, 01:11:48 AM »
Thanks, Freud.  I'm gratified that it seems to be as interesting to others as it is to me.  

I’m a bit of a romantic, and I like to think I'm following in a tradition that actually started before the SCTA ran at Bonneville.  Land speed records during the 1930's through the 1950's were all but owned by the Brits, and by building an MG for Bonneville, I like to think I'm following in that tradition.

But there's also the American hot rod tradition, of taking a sow's ear and making it fly.  So to that end, I'm pretty certain I've picked a pretty funky pig.

During the mid 1950's and through the 1960's, there seems to have been less of a delineation of cultures between hot-rodders and sports car guys.  The last import to be driven in a NASCAR race before Toyota got involved was an MGA driven by Smokey Cook 1963.  It used to be common to see Jags and Triumphs at a local drag strip.  Seeing TR-8's running against 454 Corvettes and V-6 Capris in Trans Am and IMSA during the mid 1970's - how cool was that?

One of the reasons I took the moniker "Milwaukee Midget" is because when entries are listed in the record books, they list the class, the driver and the team - there is no mention of the type of car it is.  If I can take the Midget past 121.779 MPH, I think it will be equally important that people know, or are able to figure out that the I/GT record holder is an MG.

But let's not get the cart before the horse.

Fordboy - GREAT JOB - WE HAVE CLEARENCE!

Net due back from Stroud on Tuesday, pushrods will be here Thursday, the auxiliary radiator is being fitted with an AN-8 fitting, and I'll have it back Wednesday.  Still need to get the crank trigger drilled, but it could well be making noise this weekend.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1536 on: September 18, 2012, 03:13:04 AM »
"bit of a romantic" ....you got that right. Yes congratulations on 100, 000 views, it has been a great ride so far.

Is there any provision to re-gear the car if you drive straight over the record? You could well be sitting there on Tuesday thinking " **ck it, I'm shooting for 200" :roll:....... I gather the rears are restricted by the wheel wells?

Anyway, hell of a ride so far Chris , soon the duck shoot of 2010 will be but a distant memory and your name will be in the book.

Watchin closely and wishing you well mate.

DrG
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1537 on: September 18, 2012, 06:15:26 AM »
If I can take the Midget past 121.779 MPH, I think it will be equally important that people know, or are able to figure out that the I/GT record holder is an MG.          But let's not get the cart before the horse.

Fordboy - GREAT JOB - WE HAVE CLEARENCE!

Still need to get the crank trigger drilled, but it could well be making noise this weekend.  

Midget,

Thanks for the congrats, but the clearance provided by the new front crossmember appears to be just as important as compactly packaging the crank trigger/water pump drive components.  That was a good call by you.   But before we get carried away patting ourselves on the back, (and everybody else who helped out on this project) there does remain a worklist to finish...........      BTW, congrats on getting engine/trans installed.

Some additional thoughts, and since it's 4am, not necessarily in any order:

1)  Is there room in front of the crank drive components to pull the crank damper?  Difficult to tell from photo.   This may be required to drill & tap the ignition trigger wheel properly in phase.   Undoubtably will be required if changing the cam timing becomes necessary.
2)  Did you receive the 5/16th x 24 x 3.5" fhscs?   (I shortened the other one .40")
3)  Does the 3/8ths ignition trigger bracket mounting bolt need to be shortened?   (I expect so.)
4)  Rocker shaft pillar was in yesterday's mail when I arrived home from my 450 mile "trek".   Plan to machine steel replacements on Thursday or Friday.  Will need to know EXACT rocker shaft diameter or have shaft for fitting.
5)  -8 Aeroquip oil line looks good.
6)  Were -4 line(s) long enough/short enough to mount & plumb remote clutch slave cylinder bleeder block?
7)  Mocking up tool & parts for valve spring change-over setup.  Will post photo later today/tomorrow when completed.
8]  Do you have non-projected nose spark plugs available?   You are going to need much colder plugs now that the C/R is up.

That's all I can think of for now, since my brain has shifted itself into neutral..................
Fordboy

Congradulations on 100,000 views & 100+ pages of your build diary.  I've been reading it just for the beer references.............
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:23:42 AM by fordboy628 »
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1538 on: September 18, 2012, 10:36:43 AM »
To answer your questions -

1) Is there room in front of the crank drive components to pull the crank damper? Difficult to tell from photo. This may be required to drill & tap the ignition trigger wheel properly in phase. Undoubtably will be required if changing the cam timing becomes necessary.

Yes – plenty.  I’ve already indexed the trigger wheel to TDC and will drop it by Mel today to have the arbor and wheel drilled and tapped.  #10 fine, I think you specified.

2) Did you receive the 5/16th x 24 x 3.5" fhscs? (I shortened the other one .40")

Expecting it this morning.

3) Does the 3/8ths ignition trigger bracket mounting bolt need to be shortened? (I expect so.)

It’s a bit long, but only on one end.

4) Rocker shaft pillar was in yesterday's mail when I arrived home from my 450 mile "trek". Plan to machine steel replacements on Thursday or Friday. Will need to know EXACT rocker shaft diameter or have shaft for fitting.

I’ll dust off the micrometer.

5) -8 Aeroquip oil line looks good.

Parts were cheap, too, courtesy of Fordboy Racing Equipment and Surplus – you’re one-stop-shop for ALL your fitting needs.  Talk to the guy in the Camo Cargo Khaki’s about special savings on Aeroquip overstock.

6) Were -4 line(s) long enough/short enough to mount & plumb remote clutch slave cylinder bleeder block?

QUALITY USED AN-4 LINE, courtesy of Fordboy Racing Equipment and Surplus – you’re one-stop-shop for ALL your fitting needs.  Talk to the guy in the Camo Cargo Khaki’s about special savings on Aeroquip overstock.  International sales welcome.

7) Mocking up tool & parts for valve spring change-over setup. Will post photo later today/tomorrow when completed.

CUSTOM TOOLS DESIGNED AND CRAFTED BY - Fordboy Racing Equipment and Surplus – you’re one-stop-shop for ALL your fitting needs.  Talk to the guy in the Camo Cargo Khaki’s about special savings on Aeroquip overstock.

8] Do you have non-projected nose spark plugs available? You are going to need much colder plugs now that the C/R is up.

New plugs, cold enough to chill beer.  I don't remember where I got those . . .  

By the way, Mrs. Midget helped with the engine install.  I love that girl.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:44:20 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1539 on: September 18, 2012, 11:00:56 AM »
Is there any provision to re-gear the car if you drive straight over the record? You could well be sitting there on Tuesday thinking " **ck it, I'm shooting for 200" :roll:.......

I've got a 3.92 and a 3.50 diff complete, plus gaskets - could be changed out in an hour, but realistically, I'd be the one crawling around on the tarp by myself.  I spent a lot of time sorting out at WOS two years ago, to little avail, and without an enclosed workspace, bench, and an extra mechanic, anything beyond changing out a pair of jets or dialing in an advance curve would be a bit frustrating.

Tweeking, adjustments, maybe as far as pulling the head, yes.  Anything much beyond that, it goes back on the trailer. 

I'm just going to make sure it's ready to go, and go.

Offline Tman

« Reply #1540 on: September 18, 2012, 12:32:14 PM »
Nonsense! There are always enough folks around to lend a hand for something like a gear change.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1541 on: September 18, 2012, 03:42:32 PM »
To answer your questions -

1) Is there room in front of the crank drive components to pull the crank damper? Difficult to tell from photo. This may be required to drill & tap the ignition trigger wheel properly in phase. Undoubtably will be required if changing the cam timing becomes necessary.

Yes – plenty.  I’ve already indexed the trigger wheel to TDC and will drop it by Mel today to have the arbor and wheel drilled and tapped.  #10 fine, I think you specified.

2) Did you receive the 5/16th x 24 x 3.5" fhscs? (I shortened the other one .40")

Expecting it this morning.

3) Does the 3/8ths ignition trigger bracket mounting bolt need to be shortened? (I expect so.)

It’s a bit long, but only on one end.

4) Rocker shaft pillar was in yesterday's mail when I arrived home from my 450 mile "trek". Plan to machine steel replacements on Thursday or Friday. Will need to know EXACT rocker shaft diameter or have shaft for fitting.

I’ll dust off the micrometer.

5) -8 Aeroquip oil line looks good.

Parts were cheap, too, courtesy of Forboy Racing Equipment and Surplus – you’re one-stop-shop for ALL your fitting needs.  Talk to the guy in the Camo Cargo Khaki’s about special savings on Aeroquip overstock.

6) Were -4 line(s) long enough/short enough to mount & plumb remote clutch slave cylinder bleeder block?

QUALITY USED AN-4 LINE, courtesy of Forboy Racing Equipment and Surplus – you’re one-stop-shop for ALL your fitting needs.  Talk to the guy in the Camo Cargo Khaki’s about special savings on Aeroquip overstock.  International sales welcome.

7) Mocking up tool & parts for valve spring change-over setup. Will post photo later today/tomorrow when completed.

CUSTOM TOOLS DESIGNED AND CRAFTED BY - Forboy Racing Equipment and Surplus – you’re one-stop-shop for ALL your fitting needs.  Talk to the guy in the Camo Cargo Khaki’s about special savings on Aeroquip overstock.

8] Do you have non-projected nose spark plugs available? You are going to need much colder plugs now that the C/R is up.

New plugs, cold enough to chill beer.  I don't remember where I got those . . . 

By the way, Mrs. Midget helped with the engine install.  I love that girl.

1)  Yes, size #10, but COARSE threads.  10-24 Vs. 10-32 in the alloy hub.   What the hell, use fine if you must be veddy Briddishly consistent...............
2)  OK
3)  OK
4)  OK
5)  Fordboy.......   what's with the leaving out the d?   Are you a olt or what?
6)  See comment #5
7)  See comments #5 & #6
8]  Well I have to admit, the beverages are always properly chilled when I visit.

Mrs. Midget:   Mistress of vegetarian cuisine, tolerant of MG & musical lunacy AND helps you act out your psychoses?   She's a keeper.  Don't piss her off whatever you do............
 :cheers:
Forboy (Or whatever!?!)
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1542 on: September 18, 2012, 04:49:14 PM »

5)  Fordboy.......   what's with the leaving out the d?   Are you a olt or what?

Cut one mistake and just keep pasting.  Kind of like the sorcerer's apprentice.

Mistake noted and corrected.  Next time, I'll route it through the proof office.

Offline scrapiron aka Park Olson

• New folks
  • Bonneville, '65,,139 in a Falcon convertible
« Reply #1543 on: September 18, 2012, 08:54:02 PM »
Talk of changing out a rear brings up a question, will you have spare axle with you?  Probably not a great concern on the salt surface, but BMC's finest were not the best.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1544 on: September 18, 2012, 09:41:12 PM »
Talk of changing out a rear brings up a question, will you have spare axle with you?  Probably not a great concern on the salt surface, but BMC's finest were not the best.

Too true, unfortunately. My friends Sprite would consistently break its right rear axle in SCCA events.  :-P

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ