Author Topic: tires  (Read 27882 times)

Offline k.h.

Re: tires
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2010, 07:07:16 PM »
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:31:33 PM by k.h. »
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2010, 07:12:05 PM »
Michelins are to soft side wall and will allow too much carcass growth.... the carcass growth will pooch the contact up and out as well as pull on the bead.... go to yer local cycle gear and grab the sidewall of a Michelin and then grab the side of a Dunlop and Bridgestone... you'll see the obvious difference.... Shaving is never an issue but heat cycling is no good...... just get a hard compound tire to start with... put 36psi in it and ride the bike for about 50 miles to settle the carcass... then send the tire to Nate for shave, profile and balance....  keep the gearing pretty close to accurate and don't overgear so ya keep the loose tire spin speed down helping to recover traction...... that prepping should be good for 220...

Vee Twin
i didn't expect ant intelligent comment from you..... you have proven to be one of those loud mouths that start a bar fight and never back up your mouth

Kent

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2010, 07:12:22 PM »
KH,
I was trying to clarify what Kent posted. If you read his post one above mine does he not state the SCTA has sanctioned these "race" tires to be safe up to 250 mph?  I did not say that he did.  I was asking for clarification as that is how i interpreted what he said.  Please read exactly what I posted and tell me where I am wrong?

It seems to me like the post stating these race tires are sanctioned by the SCTA for runs up to 250 mph is the post that needs to be removed as that is the one showing liabilty IMO.

I was trying to point out how his statement could be used against folks if something bad were to happen.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:16:57 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline k.h.

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2010, 07:17:14 PM »
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:31:13 PM by k.h. »
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2010, 07:18:34 PM »
And nobody still has been able to show definitively in writing where "race" tires are rated to go over 200 mph.  After all that is what the AMA rules says is required right?

KH,
I have no argument with what you just said but how does that apply to Bubs. This is the Bubs tire discussion not the SCTA.  Kent has said that because the SCTA sanctioned these tires than they are also approved for Bubs.  Has anybody shown that to be a true statement?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:22:43 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline desotoman

« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2010, 07:22:47 PM »
And nobody still has been able to show definitively in writing where "race" tires are rated to go over 200 mph.  After all that is what the AMA rules says is required right?

I will pay for your phone call to the AMA to get your answer. Wouldn't that be the solution to your question?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2010, 07:23:38 PM »
Joe has already asked that question to the AMA and did not get an answer.  I have expressed my opinion on the matter only to be told by several folks that I am wrong.  When I turn their statements back onto them and ask them to back it up they cannot do so. I feel I have been very civil thoroughout this whole discussion.  Others have not shown to be as polite now have they?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:26:26 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2010, 07:24:21 PM »
Dan.....you are confused.... the SCTA IS a sanctioning body that holds events.... they do NOT sanction anything, nor do they endorse, test, or recommend a specific product.... they specify rules and acceptable equipment... that's it

you guys fricken wore me out..... and my day started out so well, "dear lord please dont make me smack an idiot today".... and then i turned on my computer.... g-nite i'm going home
Kent

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2010, 07:28:45 PM »
Wow Kent,

That is exactly the point I was trying to make!!  You are 100% correct. The SCTA does not endorse tires but you said because they allowed certain tires to be run at their events then Bubs would too.  What facts did you have to back that up?  Absolutely none yet you still made that statement.
Am I wrong?

The SCTA allows a whole lota streamlining in the APS classes too. That doesn't mean you are allowed to run it at Bubs now does it?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:30:52 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline joea

« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2010, 07:39:34 PM »
nrhs, please, come on you asked a legitimate question on what
tires are rated over 250 mph, and very plain and simply i mentioned
the goodyear lsr tires...yes most of them only fit 15 inch rims...

the fact that it is not convenient as you wrote for most folks, doesnt
mitigate the facts...its not about convenience...thats why i started trialing
these lsr tires..

look...scta and ama are doing the best they know how, no one is certifying
motorcycle tires above 200...in scta case they do have a tire program that
allows runs to be made with mandatory inspections and evaluations and allowances
to facilitate safety in the best manner they know how, ALL subject to EVOLVE as
needed....

veetwin, yes i feel comfortable with race spec zr based on the feedback and knowledge
ive garnered from my own running of various tires, and discussions with sanctioning body folks,
and motorcycle manufacturers and some of their test riders over the past 19 yrs ive run
at bonneville.....

one of the biggest differences here is that scta tells you what they will allow so you know what
to expect..and how to proceed....the ama would not commit what would and wouldnt be allowed other than 300 mph rated
lsr tires...

no worries, just not wanting to hear how sitting back and waiting is an answer one meet came before the other, decisions
needed to be made...

the efforts put into these decisions by scta deserve to be defended when ignorant hysteria regarding their efforts
is exploited, especially by folks who admit they arent involved personally in the realm of the speeds concerned...

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2010, 07:45:14 PM »
Joe,
if that is how I came across it was never my intentions to put one organanizations rules against another.  All I said was I liked the way that the AMA decided to do it this year.  It was my opinion and nothing more than that.  I also said I thought the intitial AMA seat rule was ridiculous. Also my opinion.

And I agreed with you on the Goodyear tires. They are the only tires I know of that are certified to be run over 200 mph. Other folks were making statements that race tires beacuse they had no ratings were certified up to 250 mph. A statment I found to also be ridiulous unless they had facts to to back it up.

Now big group hug everybody.......................except Noonan!!   :evil:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:46:52 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline Livin1072

« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2010, 07:56:23 PM »
6 pages later...   What's the question?  :evil:
Team SGR Mr Turbo Racing
259.9 mph Texas '09 / 264.3 mph Maxton '10 / 265.1 mph Loring '09

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2010, 07:59:39 PM »
Amen Stubbs... :cheers:

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2010, 08:39:17 PM »
I think the question was are Suzukis or Kawasakis faster? :-o

Offline Livin1072

« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2010, 08:46:09 PM »
I think the question was are Suzukis or Kawasakis faster? :-o

I think currently the (today) answer is Suzuki.... but hey it might change tomorrow  :wink:
Team SGR Mr Turbo Racing
259.9 mph Texas '09 / 264.3 mph Maxton '10 / 265.1 mph Loring '09