Author Topic: tires  (Read 27688 times)

Offline VeeTwin

Re: tires
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2010, 05:27:16 PM »
So Kent, do you believe the SCTA rule change made the tire situation safer or more dangerous?

Joe won't answer the question, will you?

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2010, 05:28:26 PM »
Oh Kent,
That is the worst rebuttal I have ever seen!  So you are saying because race tires do not have a speed rating that somehow makes them safer than tires that do have ratings?  Wow, that is a stretch for sure!!!  I expected better of you than that.  

So if I come to a race with a tire that has no rating it is automatically safe for 250 mph??    Is that what you are trying to say cause thats what I am hearing.

I asked you for some kind of proof that race tires are safer than ZR tires and all you can come up with is they do not have a rating so they are safer?  Wow!!!

And I already knew what the different ratings meant but was trying to make you prove to me that a race tire is actually rated for higher speeds than the ZR tires were.  You failed in that obviously as you cannnot show me anywhere in writing where a manufacturer says a race tire can go in excess of 200 mph can you?   If you can do that I will bow down to your superiority. Otherwise it is you who is just spouting off about how race tires are safer than street tires are you not? 

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:34:40 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2010, 05:34:12 PM »
John Noonan, AHG, nrhs sales, k.h., MadDuck, WildBro, 1212FBGS and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.   :cheers:

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2010, 05:35:43 PM »
Does Drew want to contribute or is he saying "I am staying out of this hornets nest!" 

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2010, 05:36:27 PM »
Don't leave me out -- although I am truly getting tired.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2010, 05:37:15 PM »

Stan

It is because you are old.

Offline WildBro

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2010, 05:38:34 PM »
I talked to Bill at SW. I think the first 270+ runs were on a street tire, and the 273+ was on a Conti race tire. Bill knows a little about right hand traction control. :wink:

Fred
Ran the Pirelli Diablo 240 last year and the first few races this year.
Now run Conti Race Attack 240, is Race DOT tire.
Both tires are good and feel comfortable running either into the 280s(especially the conti  :wink: )
We all have wheel spin. excess for a prolonged time on a soft tire and they go bad.
SW we ran tires with hardness of 45,55,65.  We spun the crap out of shaved 003 which was a 65 and a race DOT. Couldn't hurt that tire at all.  The softer Race Race tires did not do go good even with a lot less spin.
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2010, 05:39:40 PM »
John, Kent and Joe. For the 3 of you to be speculating that folks with 200 mph bikes will not be allowed to run if they have ZR tires is helping nobody. Until the AMA or FIM says that, what are you hoping to accomplish except to try to make Bubs look bad?  As of today there has been no rule stating you cannot run ZR tires on a 200 mph + bike at Bubs. For the three of you to act like there is just seems like you have hidden agendas or something.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:53:35 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline desotoman

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2010, 05:43:34 PM »

Stan

Car guys don't count. Especially Roadster Toads.  :evil:   :cheers:

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2010, 05:57:05 PM »
John, Kent and Joe. For the 3 of you to be speculating that folks with 200 mph bikes will not be allowed to run if they have ZR tires is helping nobody. Until the AMA or FIM says that what are you hoping to accomplish except to try to make Bubs look bad?  As of today there has been no rule stating you cannot run ZR tires on a 200 mph + bike at Bubs. For the three of you to act like there is just seems like you have hidden agendas or something.

Had to copy this before you changed it:  :wink:

I have no agenda and have gone very fast at Bubs and have also made a few dollars as well.  It is a great deal for the bikers to go out there and not have to wait for cars to run.  :cheers:

I would love it if more of the bikes went to Bubs and I would have more runs at El Mirage..I just want to make sure that before somebody long-hauls a bike out there that they are going to be able to realise their dream and not be told to slow it down.  :cheers:

From the way that a few of us read the wording it seems like AMA will require the racer to have appropriatte tires for the speeds they will be running in their class, if it were me I would bring other tires to make sure I would conform if the rules are not clearly written out.  :cheers:  Funny thing is that you call out Joe, Kent and myself (three faster racers) and yet it seems like you have a lot more experiance than people that race and tire reps/engineers as well.

No worries it's all fine and I am sure AMA racers will be allowed to run the faster speeds on ZR street tires if Del approved it.  Good luck with your goal of 120 mph.. :cheers:

John 

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2010, 06:02:05 PM »
Wow John was that sarcasm??  

I am just not understanding why it seems a few of you are trying to say their tires will not be allowed without any proof that, that is going to happen. Why would you do that?

Might as well say that anybody who has a turbo might not be allowed to run as they might determine the bikes are too fast.  tell me how that is any different than what you guys are saying?

And what tires should they bring? Nobody can show me anywhere where a tire manufacturer says a non rated race tire can go in speeds in excess of 200 mph.  That is all I am asking for. if you say a race tire is rated for over 200 mph, show me where to find that information. If you want to read the AMA rules they way you say you would need to have that proof would you not? By your interpretation of the rules there are NO tires than can be run in excessof 200 mph. Period. So why not just tell folks if there bike can go over 200 mph unless they have a manufacturuers certificate stating their tires are rated for over 200 mph they are no longer welcome to attend LSR events.

Please tell me where i am wrong and somebody please show me proof that a "race" tire is rated for up to 250 mph.  Here comes those crickets again.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:10:19 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline joea

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2010, 06:12:21 PM »
vtwin dude, or dudette, im at f'in work...i check
in when i can....

wow, need to be able to sit down and put some decent time
into some posts...these shotgun responses are somewhat limited in conveying
my intended meaning...

nrhs/vetwin...im not speculating what the ama will and wont do with respect
to tires at bub......!!!!!

im not against ama as indicated in my praise of much of what they do...!!!!

listen...i was quiet...then simply grew tired of of what i felt was cheap shots
at scta...

ie praising the ama for "taking a wait and see approach" per nrhs....

when i had spent months in communicating with AMA on if i show up
with x tire will it be allowed for x speeds....thats all....in planning for me,
that was desired info, before completing 3000$ in wheels and tires that do
meet the requirement ie lsr 300 mph tires, and appropriate other fees up front, i simply wanted to know what was specifically legal, ie do i spend the money to do lsr tires, can i run like last year, and with scta changes coming down the pipe, i didnt want to assume anything, you should be able to understand that...

some might want to beat around the bush, i dont....

whereas the scta simply took a pro-active approach and initiated a standing
months before the event....with the interest in our safety in mind....(as does ama)..

whether its agreed with or not, its the sanctioning bodies perogative to lay out
the conditions they are comfortable with...and us as racers to follow what we are
comfortable with..within those standards...

seriously nrhs, some of the best folks in lsr are apart of BUB, some of the best people i
know, Rex Svoboda (sp?), Tom Burkland, Denis Manning etc all i consider good friends..i wouldnt for once want to encourage any ill thoughts toward them...

to answer nrhs, yes lsr goodyear tires such as the 2282 and 2284 have 300 mph ratings per manufacturer...

vetwin..i would choose zr dot or race spec, next runs opting for race spec zr radials as well as
continuing learning about the lsr 300 mph tires i ran at sw...trying to make wos and or wf..would REALLY like to meet you and discuss these issues, in a practical real world manner, actually at the venue of use
with the tires we speak of....

Joe :)

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2010, 06:22:13 PM »
Joe,
 Thats a great answer but Goodyear LSR tires are not made for stock 17" rims are they?  Not real practical for a lot of folks.  And that does not cover all the rest of the "racing" tires now does it.  Lets keep it an honest discussion, not just pick and choose to prove your case.

It just seems like you were saying "the sky is falling" with nothing to back it up.  Yes I praised the AMA for taking a wait and see approach.  I think that was a good decision, others may disagree.  Does that mean I was trying to pit Bubs agains SCTA?  I never said that did I?  I just like to see decisisons made based on facts not speculation. I thought the AMAs seat rule published around June was ridiculous and I publically said so.  As you might have seen that rule was changed recently.  

As I said before it infuriates me when I see knee jerk reactiosn without any real facts to back up a rule change. I don't care what organization does it.  I guess that is the Army NCO in me. I had to deal with too many "smart" officers making rule changes just to justify their job throuhout my 20 years.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:24:14 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2010, 06:23:14 PM »
Dan..... listen closely cuz i know your reading comprehension skilz are poor...... the AMA rule says you have to run a rated tire.... the "ZR" IS rated to 200mph..... and that's it.... period!

no hidden agendas here, you are the only one who is screaming "man on the grassy knoll".... the SCTA also allows ZR's use up to 200mph... And 200 is it!.... The AMA's rule does not say you CAN use a tire out of its recommended speed rating (i dont think they will allow it).... The difference is the SCTA does specifically say you "can not"

So dipship Dan... if you actually show up with a bike that can run over 200 at a AMA event, the AMA rule says "rated for speed".... what tire ya gonna use?

see aren't ya glad there's a "race" branded tire out their that's been accepted by a LSR sanctioned body that has already been run 200+mph.... otherwise you'd be on the trailer..... your fricken welcome!
Kent

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2010, 06:27:53 PM »
Kent

Really?  So you are saying that beacuse the SCTA says a certain tire is okay for thier events then the AMA will automatically also allows those tires?  Are you sure about that?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:39:56 PM by nrhs sales »