Author Topic: tires  (Read 27682 times)

Offline joea

Re: tires
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 03:53:15 PM »
john, thank you its nice to hear you again...someone
who speaks with realworld experience...that he can talk
about...refreshing...

nrhs...your a good guy looking for the best...

for some others...talk is cheap...some do more with actions and experience...

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 04:01:52 PM »
John,
Bubs has never changed the tire rule so how could they reverse it?  They have only provided new guideance this year but in reality nothing in the tire rules has changed?

I agree with what you are saying about the SCTA checking tires after the runs. My question is why didn't they do this last year to see if the old rules were working or not?  Seems like before you make a huge rule change you would want to gather lots of data to support your decisison would you not?

Dan,

Have you or anyone spoke with an official from Bub's regarding what tires would be legal to run..I would now be surprised (not shocked) if they they let a 225+ mph Turbo bike run on 186 rated tires even if it has been done before..we will see and good luck to all.

I thought I read that Bill Warner went 270+ on a racing tire, he must be real lucky or knows how to control wheelspin somehow.  :cheers:

J

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 04:15:08 PM »
John,
I spoke with Delvene and they are not forcing anybody to get racing tires this year.  Jeez guys read the AMA rules would ya. They are making suggestions but it is really up to the rider to pick the tire they feel is safe.

The rider has the sole responsibility of ensuring tires are rated for the appropriate speed and for inspecting the condition of tires before and after each run.”
With the new rule:
“The rider has the sole responsibility of ensuring tires are rated for the appropriate speed and for inspecting the condition of tires before and after each run.”
As a result of the rapid evolution of technology and the increased speed that it brings, it is recommended that when choosing tires for the event, the rider choose a set that is rated for speeds higher than the class record

Seems pretty clear to me. What about that rule doesn't make sense to you John?  Nowhere in that rule does it say you cannot run ZR tires.

If they have a problem they definately could change the rules next year but as of today you can still run ZR tires on 200mph + bikes this year.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:19:00 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 04:18:23 PM »
I talked to Bill at SW. I think the first 270+ runs were on a street tire, and the 273+ was on a Conti race tire. Bill knows a little about right hand traction control. :wink:

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2010, 04:29:57 PM »
John,
I spoke with Delvene and they are not forcing anybody to get racing tires this year.  Jeez guys read the AMA rules would ya. They are making suggestions but it is really up to the rider to pick the tire they feel is safe.

The rider has the sole responsibility of ensuring tires are rated for the appropriate speed and for inspecting the condition of tires before and after each run.”
With the new rule:

As a result of the rapid evolution of technology and the increased speed that it brings, it is recommended that when choosing tires for the event, the rider choose a set that is rated for speeds higher than the class record

Seems pretty clear to me. What about that rule doesn't make sense to you John?  Nowhere in that rule does it say you cannot run ZR tires.

If they have a problem they definately could change the rules next year but as of today you can still run ZR tires on 200mph + bikes this year.

Stop changing your posts ! !    :wink:

I see the new rules and see where it says "The rider has the sole responsibility of ensuring tires are rated for the appropriate speed and for inspecting the condition of tires before and after each run"

If Devene told you different then I guess you will be fine and have a "Blast"  :cheers:

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2010, 04:32:44 PM »
I am confused John.  What is different about what Delvene said and that rule? They both say the same thing do they not?   It is up to the rider to pick the proper tires not the AMA or FIM.  Nobody is telling you you must get race tires.  Tell me what I am not seeing here?

What is the speed rating of a zr  or a w tire? Does that change if it has been changed and heat cycled? Does a race tire have a speed rating of 250+ mph?  Not to my knowledge so how is a race tire any safer?  But if you say yes they do can you show me where as i would sure like to see it in writing.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:36:28 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2010, 04:35:38 PM »
Vee Twin or whomever you are... this is not about SCTA or AMA its about tires, safety, and the potential exclusion of motorcycles in the sport we love.....

Dan (nhrs) you weren't there..... you don't know what happened... how many tires, how many passes, what speeds, what pressures, what and how many failures...... if you were so concerned about tires then maybe you should have been there to do your own research to made a logical conclusion and then present your findings to the SCTA board to substantiate your subtitle for a rule change back to what it was..... oh wait, never mind, you still don't understand....

Speed week was a success, our new tire rule was a success, get over it!

as for the AMA rule... as I read and interpret it you wont be able to run a ZR tire 200mph!.... So i gotta be facetious and ask.... Hey Dan, under the AMA rule as written, what tire is rated and appropriate to run at 220mph?
Kent

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2010, 04:39:30 PM »
Kent,
I will post the question back at you. Can you show me where any tire manufacturer states in writing that their "race" tires have a speed rating of 220+ mph.  If you can do that then I will agree with everything you are saying.  All I have been asking for is the facts. Show me in writing where the race tires say they can go 220+ mph.

And once again this is not about speedweeks tire rules it is about Bubs. Is it not?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:44:03 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2010, 04:43:26 PM »
Dan
its pretty obvious what your not seeing... the AMA rule clearly states (as you have cut and pasted) "tires are rated for appropriate speed".... so i gotta as you AGAIN... what tire is rated by the manufacture for 200mph?

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2010, 04:45:03 PM »
I am confused John.

Gotta agree with that first statement.. :cheers:

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2010, 04:49:31 PM »
Kent,

What part of the word "recommended" do you not understand?  Where in that rule does it say you MUST have a tire rated for those speeds?  Big difference between recommended and must in my mind. Not sure about yours?

As for tire ratings.  can you show me any tire that is rated for 200 mph +  if so where can I find that in writing? That seems like a simple enough request. if you say race tires are rated for 200 mph + that should be easy to prove should it not?  Prove it.

Otherwise by your argument we just need to outlaw all motorcycles at these events that can go over 200 mph because the tires are not safe. Right?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:58:15 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2010, 04:59:57 PM »
Still waiting for anybody to show me where the tire manufacturers have rated race tires to go over 200 mph in writing.    I am hearing the crickets chirping!!!   :-D

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2010, 05:03:05 PM »
This is probably slightly off-topic to the discussion you gentlemen are having, but:

I don't know how they will handle the tire question when I show up at BUB
but at Speed Week this was put on the bike

...as my front tire is rated to 110 mph.

OK, you may continue.

.-)
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2010, 05:12:23 PM »
I have never seen a sticker like that placed on any bike at Bubs in the last 4 years if that helps answer your question.

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2010, 05:16:29 PM »
Dan
oh! i know what the word "recommended" means.... it seems that your reading interpretation skills are pretty bad... just because they tossed the word "recommended" into the rule statement doesn't mean you can do whatever you want... the AMA rule goes on to state "rated for speeds"! And i suggest you follow that requirement (assuming you are actually gonna race something instead of just shoot yer mouth off)
Only because you asked in previous posts (i am to assume your google skilz are as poor as your reading comprehension) a "W" rating on a tire is good for 168 mph and a "ZR" rating is commonly accepted over 150mph and up to 200mph..... now, as for your requested rating on a "race" branded tire... There is NO rating.... that's why the SCTA will allow its restricted and monitored use up to 250mph