Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3300212 times)

Online salt27

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #3060 on: August 23, 2013, 09:18:02 PM »

"comfortable high-speed driving"  Now there's a debate in the works. :-D

Don

Don, are you trying to get me disqualified?  :-D

[/quote]

Not at all, in fact I would vouch for the comfort and speed of a Midget, having slept in and spanked a VW with one.   :-D

Don

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3061 on: August 23, 2013, 10:20:35 PM »
Just drained the fuel.  I did my rookie run on my own fuel, emptied the tank, put 6 1/2 gallons in, and pulled 9 passes on 3.25 gallons. 

So now I've got $61.75 worth of racing fuel to mix with my next two tanks of gas in the MGB.

An expensive octane booster, to be sure, but with the supercharger, it lets me dial up the advance a few degrees and go chasing
unsuspecting S-2000s and Z4s. . . 

I usually don't catch 'em, but I stay in their rear view mirrors a lot longer than their owners expect.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline JimL

« Reply #3062 on: August 23, 2013, 10:26:33 PM »
Don...my mind flashed on a vision of a stock Midget, racing a stock Beetle, and both drivers falling asleep! :lol:

I bet I read your sentence wrong. :roll:

Online salt27

« Reply #3063 on: August 23, 2013, 11:08:51 PM »
Don...my mind flashed on a vision of a stock Midget, racing a stock Beetle, and both drivers falling asleep! :lol:

I bet I read your sentence wrong. :roll:

Jim, there was no sleeping during that race, the soft top tried to depart.  :-o

The sleeping was at a drive-in theater, whole different story.   :roll:

Don

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3064 on: August 24, 2013, 11:09:30 AM »
When I was 16, I could kick a TC's butt with a stock Model A.  At least across an intersection.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3065 on: August 24, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »
When I was 16, I could kick a TC's butt with a stock Model A.  At least across an intersection.

Are you sure the TC wasn't hanging a left in the turn lane?  :-D

Offline dw230

« Reply #3066 on: August 24, 2013, 11:46:36 AM »
Now that is funny

Stan,
Next time check your mirrors.

DW

Wine - no longer just a beverage, now a life style - 3 Steves Winery 2013
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3067 on: August 24, 2013, 12:32:42 PM »
Midget,

For your permanent records.

5/30/2013 COLD leakdown test of 999cc BMC, post mega-dyno thrash:

Cylinder #           Reading            Leakage %            Source  
    1                             86/90                      4.5%                  rings/cylinders
    2                             84/90                     6.7%                  rings/cylinders
    3                             87/90                      3.4%                  rings/cylinders
    4                             86/90                      4.5%                  rings/cylinders

The consistency of this little engine is starting to amaze me - Why?  It's making 95.2 bhp/litre with high quality parts.  It should hang together if the oiling system continues to do its' job.

Valve clearance is still at spec.   Now that everything is stabilized and you have enough valve spring pressure to control the "effective mass" at the rpm you are using . . . . . . . .       Still think it might be too much valve spring pressure?

8/20/2013 Hot leak down test - after 10 runs at Bonneville, taken to 180 degrees this evening -

1                                 96/100                       4%
2                                 94/100                       6%
3                                 96/100                       4%
4                               96.5/100                      3.5%

I'm thinking I should just throw the fenders back on, quit my job, and drag it back for WOS . . .

Just don't tell Kate . . . .

Midget,

It appears that there is approximately a 1% improvement in leakdown % between cold measurements & hot measurements.   And although the results are OK, I wouldn't really label them as "good".   I would like to see the numbers "improved" for the your next assault @ B'ville.    Fact is that with numbers that low, you are giving away a bit of something you can't afford to lose.

Next engine rebuild should include, at a minimum:

1/   Diamond honing on an automatic honing machine with a deck plate torqued in place.
2/   Rings fitted at minimum end gap with a deck plate torqued in place.

Also to consider:

3/   perhaps a change in compression ring style for something that gives better "effective sealing".   (This might require a piston change.)

None of this should be done helter/skelter.   One of the regrets I have is the inability to get your C/Ratio up to where it needs to be, with the parts you are now using.   Getting the C/R up is going to mean a piston change, at the minimum.     And with the ultra high C/R's needed for BMC's to make respectable bhp, my experience is that a o-ringed block with a Coopers head gasket or a solid copper head gasket is going to be required.

The "Grenade" can be run as is, at this spec, at some other venues, probably with satisfying results.   If you are gonna knock off that Abarth however, some extra Shetland ponies might come in handy, in addition to the aero & drag reduction modifications.

The Abarth is running a one off engine deck lid.   Why can't you run a one off hardtop?   Just curious.

How goes the desalination?
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Marcello (currently re-engineering some MGB bits . . . . . . don't ask . . . . .)
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3068 on: August 24, 2013, 12:40:09 PM »
I just found KaleCoAuto. The solution for many of your problems.
Johnson Rod
$28.99
You spoke, we listened! The long anticipated Johnson Rod has finally made an appearance! Bursting from our engineering bay, and three years in the making, this is most spectacular rod on the market. Not only is the Johnson Rod fully extendable, but it is also .5" greater in girth than any competitor's Johnson Rod. Please install Johnson Rod between 70-90f, as cold weather will cause it to contract.
710 Cap
$5.99
Having trouble locating a replacement 710 Cap? KaleCoAuto has an industry exclusive: The Chrome 710 Cap. The chrome finish provides that desired sparkle and shine to your otherwise dull engine bay.
Piston Return Spring
$54.99
KaleCoAuto has produced the highest quality piston return spring to date! High temperance chromed metal resists temperatures up to 300'f. KaleCoAuto piston return springs FORCE the pistons back into the motor, no longer relying on gravity! This effectively increases your revs, horsepower, and peak torque! You must buy one return spring per piston. Rotary engines require install of pistons for full compatibility. One per piston. Please specify if you are using a boxer motor!
Lowering Kit
$19.95
Some people spend hundreds - even thousands merely to lower their car! Some people even cut their springs - that is the wrong way to lower a car! Why bother with different bolt sizes and components, when KaleCoAuto's do-it-yourself lowering kit is a mere four piece kit! Installs in minutes, just insert one per tire and you'll be the envy of every lowrider in town! Now available in standard, chrome, and gold.
Seasonal Tire Air
$28.90
Everyone knows that temperature can have a great impact in your tire pressure. This is why you absolutely should use the correct air for your tires! For example, your car should usually have the tires set to 32psi. If you are using summer air in the summer, this is fine. However! If you use this summer air in the dead of winter, your may actually only be running at about 22psi! Each can will do one average sized tire. Sold in sets of 1 each.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Freud

« Reply #3069 on: August 24, 2013, 12:48:46 PM »
That's why it's difficult to be a winner.

People like Dean have the time and money to find these newly released products.

There is no justice. With advantages like he has listed, success is in the future.

The only other consideration is if he releases this data just wonder what he is

holding back for his own success.

An example is this: does Rick Hendrick give Tony Stewart the same engines that Jimmy Johnson runs?

It's difficult to be a winner even if you cheat.

How frequently would you expect to find the specifications of a Johnson in an automotive parts list?

Only Dean nose.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3070 on: August 24, 2013, 02:26:47 PM »
I got the X/Stock trophy from Colton to prove my pickup's killer speed.  (I was running outlawed 16" wheels, tho.)  Trounced a Willys station wagon in the finals (actually the same as the first round).  Beat a go-kart with a shucked chain and aced the X/Eliminator round, too.  Just the start of over thousands (hundreds?, tens?) of victories with Model As.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3071 on: August 24, 2013, 02:29:40 PM »
I got the X/Stock trophy from Colton to prove my pickup's killer speed.  (I was running outlawed 16" wheels, tho.)  Trounced a Willys station wagon in the finals (actually the same as the first round).  Beat a go-kart with a shucked chain and aced the X/Eliminator round, too.  Just the start of over thousands (hundreds?, tens?) of victories with Model As.

Here's to the pride of maintaining brand loyalty!  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

gkabbt

« Reply #3072 on: August 25, 2013, 06:06:56 AM »
This responses in this build diary NEVER cease to amaze me.....ROTFLMAO!  :-o  :-D  :cheers:

Chris,
See you in a few hours!

Gregg

Currently in Wilmington, OH on our way to WoS!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3073 on: August 25, 2013, 03:02:04 PM »
I'm wondering if I shouldn't campaign a Speedwell Sprite next year . . .

surely you mean Midget Coupe?

http://www.jacobsmidget.com/history.html

I'm a bit late to the party here, but your latest dyno runs sounded just right, unlike the previous clip which sounded strained.. (accepting that this may just be sound quality).  Kudos to Fordboy and yourself for sorting out the valve train.   Some serious work went into getting the valve train to fit in & getting it sorted out.    Lots of info many pages back in Midget's build diary.

Andy

Midget,

Many of the cars running in vintage/historic road racing are/or have updated/backdated bodywork and bodywork mods/add ons, etc.    Is this permitted by SCTA?    It seems to me that many of the cars running have been "optimized" to a particular configuration.    These 'Midget Coupes' exist/existed in numbers that probably match the one off bodied Abarths . . . . . . .

Just tiltin' mah head and lettin' the beer, er, thoughts pour out . . . . . . . .
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
F/B-Tony-Marcello   (This is getting confusing . . . . .)
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline wisdonm

« Reply #3074 on: August 25, 2013, 03:12:09 PM »
I told him last year to call it a '67 and get rid of the side marker lights and one windshield wiper mount.

I was also over ruled on an electric water pump. I wish we had dynoed that.
Stand on it....brakes only slow you down.

Has a checkered past.