Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2277132 times)

Offline Jonnyrod

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #315 on: September 08, 2008, 03:47:21 PM »
O.K. forgive my dumazzedness, what do all those abbreviations stand for? I know the SCTA but you lost me on the rest.

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
« Reply #316 on: September 08, 2008, 04:00:51 PM »
SCTA = Southern California Timing Association
BNI = Bonneville Nationals, Inc.
USFRA = Utah Salt Flats Racing Association

SCTA/BNI site: http://www.scta-bni.org/
USFRA site: http://www.saltflats.com/

Offline Jonnyrod

• New folks
« Reply #317 on: September 08, 2008, 04:18:08 PM »
Thanks dude, I told ya I was here to learn so bare with me.  :-) I finally got the full support from the wife today as she is ready to see me get away from all the riff raff we deal with at my shop. To tell you truth so am I. I have been building, riding, and street racing for 25 years now. I am ready for a change of venue too. I just want to say I appreciate your sharing of knoweldge and your patience. Y'all have a good day. :-)

dwarner

« Reply #318 on: September 08, 2008, 05:19:31 PM »
Several years ago there were separate records for SCTA-BNI, USFRA and the 200 MPH club. The reason for this was that at their inception the USFRA required only two runs to set a record whereas the SCTA-BNI was still using the three run method. The SCTA-BNI required that you qualify over the record on a single pass. The next day you had to run the two runs, different directions when the salt permitted, and the average was then used to determine the new record. Among other things this would delay the start of qualifing runs for hours. At that time there was a single course, the three mile track overlayed the five mile track and everyone waited in the same lines.

As the salt condition deterioated and we were backed up to the dykes by the BLM runs in the same direction became the norm. It was decided by the different boards of directors to make an attempt to consolidate the records into a single database. The SCTA-BNI made the move to a two run deal to set a record in an attempt to speed up their meet and the USFRA agreed to a merge of the records.

At the second Gas Up party Mary West, Larry Volk, Mike Waters and I volunteered ourselves to try to come up with a unified record base. It took 4-5 years of research, meetings and all things associated to get to the point we are at now.

Records set at any salt meet go into the books, all the same classes. As I mentioned in an earlier post you can figure which meet the record was set by looking for the month/year of the record.

DW

cliffy

« Reply #319 on: September 09, 2008, 09:18:49 AM »
Hi all,my name is Cliff i'm a 110% petrol head ,i used to drag race motorcycles over here in the uk running in street and s/street classes.Had a suzuki gs750 that would run the1/4 in 10.2  :roll:slow nowadays but back in the eighties it was quick all worked myself except for gasflowing heads!!!.
I'm addicted to fast machines and hopefully will get out to Bonneville sometime especially
now i know someone who is doing it.My main problem is that i live on the Isle of Man and it costs a fortune to get flights to the mainland before i can get anywhere else  :cry:? .I'm mad on bikes hate standard cars like a good beer and luv me family!!
                                Cheers all Cliffy

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #320 on: September 09, 2008, 09:57:24 AM »
JRod, a good start for you is the Texas Mile in Goliad.  See their web link on the main page  :wink:

Cliff, Start saving your cash... there are several over from the UK every year, if I remember, a bunch planning for 09.

Welcome to our addiction!  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sam Strube

• New folks
« Reply #321 on: September 09, 2008, 06:39:13 PM »
Hi everyone!

My name is Sam Strube and I live in Livermore California.

My friend Terry Pehrson is on here and I am sure I know a few others whi might be on here like Keith Young and Katie Cortez-Young, the guys on the North of '49 crew,  John Kimbrough and others.

I have been into cars all of my life and have built drag cars, street cars, hot rods etc.

I went to Bonneville for the first tiem in 1991 and have gone 2 other times since.

Being a drag racer at heart, I was "hooked"... I mean, a 5 mile drag race?  Yea baby!

So... ever since then... I've had "salt fever"...  and have been going over the rulebook and records page by page to try and come up with ideas of what to build.

I am into Model A/B motor'd cars and am a member of FAST... I have a real cherry '23 T body... and thought that a vintage flathead four modified roadster would be a neat car to race... challenging, to say the least.  But my '55 Chevy runs 11.60's at 120 and... well, you know... I wanna go faster.

I've also thought about a '29 Model A roadster to run in the street roadster class...

And then another car would be a Modified Sports class car built from a "Hairy Glass" Vette body (but I would need to know if that body qualifies... who would I ask?)

Anywho... enough about me... I will be in and out from here on out... and when I nail something down, I will gladly share pictures.

Thanks for having me!

Sam

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 06:48:21 PM by Sam Strube »

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #322 on: September 09, 2008, 07:23:34 PM »
And then another car would be a Modified Sports class car built from a "Hairy Glass" Vette body (but I would need to know if that body qualifies... who would I ask?)

As long as the back 1/2 of the car is unmodified you are good to go. I looked at the Hairy bodies and they all look legal.

In the MS class you also can use also use production kit car bodies as long as at least 50 were made and available for sale to the public....this opens a host of un-tapped cars that could be legendary performers.

I recomend getting a SCTA rule book and giving it a good look over.

-JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #323 on: September 09, 2008, 07:36:13 PM »
Welcome, Sam.  Interest in vintage 4's keeps growing  :-D

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #324 on: September 10, 2008, 03:18:40 PM »
Hey Sam, you made it here, now your addiction can get worse, Terry
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

Offline reidscycle

• New folks
    • reids
« Reply #325 on: September 13, 2008, 10:02:58 AM »
hi everyone, my name is phil reid, 53 years old,  and have a motorcycle shop in northport maine. can't wait till loring afb  event next aug.

Offline JrRifleCoach

• New folks
« Reply #326 on: September 15, 2008, 02:00:50 AM »
After the Johansson Bro's introduced the salt bug two years ago, I'm bit for good.

Hope to be around the tech lot for WCTA events.

Regards,

Steve Finigian
Sonora, CA

Offline flydoc

• New folks
« Reply #327 on: September 18, 2008, 02:52:22 AM »
Just saying hello
I'm from England
I raced a bike at Bonneville this year (in APSF 1350 #1956) did OK I think
Learned loads and had a fine old time
Would like to come out and have another go again soon
cheers

G-Cubed

« Reply #328 on: September 18, 2008, 06:21:47 PM »
Hi-
My name is Don Sanderson. My partner, Cliff and I have decided to build a roadster for the '09 meet at Bonneville. We are "G-Cubed", which stands for "Gear Grinding Grandads". We are both 70 and figured it's about time! We have been talking about this for the 50 years of our friendship. Cliff is the real "motorhead", having been a Super Stock drag racer in his younger years. In our younger years, we spent many hours head to head under one hood or another, keeping the family wreck running, or swapping a tranny or rear end for more speed.

Still in all, we are new at this kind of racing, so we will be asking a lot of questions in the next year. We are planning on a C/GR class, '27 T with an sbc 350. The first year will be for learning, just fast enough not to embarras ourselves and slow enough to not go through the traps backwards.

So, thanks in advance for all of the help you are all going to give us!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #329 on: September 18, 2008, 06:37:43 PM »
Don and Cliff
Welcome to LSR. This is the place to ask and get answers. Where do you two live etc. Lots of things avalable here and might be someone local to you for any help. Let us know and fill out the member profile. Enjoy LSR. :-) :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah