Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2277191 times)

Offline Mile High Talon

• High Mileage Racer
  • New folks
    • http://groups.msn.com/MileHighTalon
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #360 on: September 26, 2008, 05:06:04 PM »
Just a quick note to say "HI to my old friends here and sya I'm still alive and kicking. Alot has happened since WOS07 when I was last active on this list. As many know, Mile High Talon ('95 TSiAWD) dropped a cylinder on the first pass at WOS07. Subsequently, I put $5500 into a new race motor that ran great for about a half-hour, then spun a rod bearing. !@#$%"! A week later some major health problems started. A re-occurrance of kidney stones in Oct., cancer surgery in Dec.(luckily discovered during the hospitalization for kidney stones), and most recently upper back surgery in early August this year. With a big need for money to pay medical bills, I had no better options than to sell Mile High Talon. I owned it for 12 years, my kids cried the day it sold, and almost a year later I still miss that car every single day! 

Since then I managed to buy a basketcase '92 Sportster XLH. With lots of used parts from Craiglist, Ebay, and swap meets, I got it running last Spring, and had hoped to take the bike to WOS08; but, I hadn't healed up from the back surgery in time. Oh well. So, baring any more medical emergencies, I'm hoping to return to the Salt next season with the Sporty.

James LaMere
'95 Talon TSiAWD (deceased)
'92 H-D XLH

'95 Talon TSiAWD daily driver
www.milehightalon.net
WoS '06 148.36887mph @ 280,000mi.
Profile photo by 'Porkpie' Graf

Offline High Speed

• New folks
    • Hoffman Metal
« Reply #361 on: September 26, 2008, 07:13:38 PM »
So what was up with your Dads roadster at WoS?

No trany fluid on run #2
Went downhill from there. Fuel pump leak, some jetting problem...but the end result was crank trigger wheel came loose.
He wants to go up  for the finals, hopefully he can get it going.

Disclaimer - I did not prep the car. :-D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 07:22:35 PM by High Speed »
Harry Hoffman Jr

Offline High Speed

• New folks
    • Hoffman Metal
« Reply #362 on: September 26, 2008, 07:20:34 PM »
Thanks Harry. Markleys were some of the earliest people I met on the Salt....years ago.
I think it's somewhat hollow without Bones and maybe Charlie will step up and be part of
the "hard core" from the past.

Thanks again for the reply.

Coming to Gas Up Saturday?

FREUD

The Markley brothers are/were some of the greatest people you will ever get to spend time with.
Class act and they know what they are doing.
It definitely is not the same without Bones. He was the driving force behind the scenes.
I'm glad we were able to get the FIA record for him. That was #1 on his list.

Can't make it to the Gas Up.
Harry Hoffman Jr

Offline mkilger

« Reply #363 on: September 26, 2008, 09:03:24 PM »
Hotrod von please tell us about your car, were you at bonneville this year?  Its not a roadster with a bike motor in it  is it?

Offline tigerbird

« Reply #364 on: September 29, 2008, 10:36:58 PM »
Jeff Jacobs here, age 63, from Arnold, MD & Orlando, FL, via East Aurora, NY. Introduced to LSR by HOTSHOE Udo Horn, a good friend & 200 MPH club member with whom I vintage raced from 1991-2002. Raced a BB Vette, Trans Am Camaro, Nascar Pontiac during that time.  Udo & I built a '70 camaro to run in 1 lap of America last year, but plans changed & didn't go. Took Camaro to Maxton 5/08 for fun & I think I am hooked! Now in process of building '88 Firebird, plan to test 10/08 at Maxton. Plan on going to Maxton spring '09, Maine in early August, then west to B'ville if all goes as planned. Former life, 4th Infantry Viet Nam, Chevy dealer, computer supplies distributor. Look forward to meeting more LSRacers.
Jeff

Offline mercflyer

• New folks
« Reply #365 on: October 02, 2008, 12:16:45 PM »
Hi. Ernie Natte here. Just saw that I have been on this site a total of 4 days and never posted. So I figured I better get on it. I live in Port Dover Ontario, north shore of lake Erie. Liked LSR since I was a kid building car models (AMT Stude / Revell Challenger etc.) & reading old Hot Rod mags. We've run the 184 C/GRMR roadster (Black Creek Racing) at speed week since '05 and having a blast. I work oilfield in eastern Utah and it just worked out that days off start on Oct. 8. So I hauled the car and trailer out for WF. The avatar is of Krazy Kaplan (Fireworks) his subtle billboard presence on I-80 thru Indiana & Chicago lets me know I'm getting somewhere when I leave to go to the flats and when returning I'm not all that far from home. See ya there - E.N.
Ernie Natte / Black Creek Racing

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #366 on: October 02, 2008, 01:25:40 PM »
Ernie & Jeff
Welcome to the forum of LSR. It's a great place as you are finding out. You will meet a lot of new people in the future and wonder why you didn't start LSR years before. There are a few of us old coots ( So Deb Says) on this site and can always direct any questions to some one who can help. The best of luck on the projects you are working on and hope you can reach your goals. :-)
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #367 on: October 02, 2008, 03:51:28 PM »
Ernie:  I recognized Krazy Kaplan, and since you mention the subject -- is there anywhere a fireworks store that sells them at retail?  I'm pretty sure there's not -- all of them, KK included, want you to "Buy one, get XXX free".  I'm not a fireworks fan -- don't like the noise all that much (but have no issue with standing next to a top fuel car running 90% - go figure).  Just wondering out loud.  Welcome to the site, and please feel free to be one of the most active posters we've got.  Or just lurk, whatever. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline mercflyer

• New folks
« Reply #368 on: October 02, 2008, 06:05:42 PM »
Slim - I'm not that big on fireworks either, but I'm just amazed at the amount of bilboards thru that section of I-80. My partner keeps on wanting me to stop at KK's for T shirts ect. a little hard to do with a 30' trailer (I just give him the look & step on the gas). Anyway glad to be on the site. I was pitted next to Johnny Hot Nuts last speedweek. I told him that I was following his build all last winter. He called me a Lurker ? Well we can't have that. So here I am. See you guys out there.
Ernie Natte / Black Creek Racing

Offline DiveEZ

• Land Speed Photos.com
« Reply #369 on: October 02, 2008, 08:48:02 PM »
Hello all

My name is Zane aka DiveEZ and I thought I should introduce myself.

I enjoy watching and photographing LSR events at El Mirage and one day hope to make it to Bonneville. I don't have any LSR racing experience but use to race off road back in the 70s & 80s. Some of you out there already know who I am but I figured I should become a member here since I have been reading this site for a few months now and have really enjoyed all the information and event reporting. Thank you for creating a great site for LSR.

Zane
50's Hybrid, Burns Gasoline and rubber.

www.LandSpeedPhotos.com

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #370 on: October 03, 2008, 01:01:40 AM »
Hi, My name is Gary Spencer and I live in Tremonton Utah. I have been racing for thirty years in Drag Racing and Land Speed Cars. My car is the red 71 Camaro # 630,  I currently hold the record in A\CFALT 250.704. My dad Dick Spencer also races at the salt flats and owns the record in E\CBGALT. I have watched these posts for a long time and decided to " get my feet wet" so to speak. We are planning to race at the WF and our thrash begins Saturday.  Gary

Offline AJR192

« Reply #371 on: October 05, 2008, 10:00:22 AM »
Hey Gary, welcome to the site. My son J.R. is Pat's little buddy from WOS the last few years. Glad to see you are here and congrats on your record. Pretty awesome. Freiburger might get more press with his and Turk's Camaro, but you are right there with them speed wise and you aren't using a blower to go that fast. see you guys on the salt.

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #372 on: October 05, 2008, 09:01:49 PM »
Ok, so I'm computer illiterate! Please allow me a try at introducing myself.  My name is Lynda Ainge, probably better known as Lynda-at-the-Gate.  I thought landsendlynda sounded better, (cheeky, huh!)  I live in Payson, Utah, not thrilled with that age reveal thing, but will be 58 on Thursday.  I don't race, don't get to go to the pits very often and when I do, everyone thinks I'm a mirage!  I'm the one that yells at you if you try to cut the line, makes you slow down when you're in a hurry for the meetings, but mostly, I'm the one that stands there in the dark with a pink flashlight and wishes each and every one of you a good morning!  I'm also the one that celebrates your record runs and shares your disappointment when you're just a tic shy of that elusive record.  There isn't any place I'd rather be than at Land's End to greet you all and keep you safe going onto the salt.
I'm as disappointed as all of you for the stupid storm that just had to hit the salt on Saturday.  Stupid Race Angel I have isn't working, I'm gonna smash that thing and get something else!!  Okay, I guess that pretty much tells you about me!  Everyone have a safe year, and I'll see you on the salt in August...smile in place, pink flashlight lit, and a good morning on my tongue!
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #373 on: October 05, 2008, 09:06:48 PM »
Linda, don't wait until August to get on line, we also have a chat line here every Tuesday at 7:00pm mountain time JOIN US.

PS, don't believe it when Deb Dross calls me an old coot, you know better. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #374 on: October 05, 2008, 10:49:58 PM »
Linda "Angel", you are the link with the past at Lands End.

You took over at a time when we had had terrible losses in our Greeting staff.

You have done a great job and once again, a woman's touch has been marvelous.

Welcome to this site with the same warmth that you exude as you allow us to pass

from Lands End to Heaven.

FREUD
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 10:52:11 PM by Freud »
Since '63