Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2276763 times)

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2008, 03:32:06 PM »
Just wanted to get on here to see what kind of chat, if any, was there about wind tunnel testing, and to also let people know about the A2 Wind Tunnel in Mooresville, NC that is now open to test many types of LS vehicles.  Any questions can be directed to

dave@aerodynwindtunnel.com  
www.A2WT.com  

Thanks!
Dave
The answers are blowing in the wind...
www.A2WT.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AERODYN-A2-WIND-TUNNEL/259986785465
@A2WindTunnel #A2WindTunnel

Blue

« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2008, 05:20:07 AM »
Most of you know that I have been the Program Manager of the Fossett LSR for almost two years now.  Lots of work on a diamond in the rough.  Lots more work to do.

I am a professional aerodynamic, mechanical, and systems engineer with 25 years in engineering program management and engineering flight test.  I have raced motorcycles, karts, and hydros;  headed up or worked on successful racing programs in cars, motorcycles, hydros, and aircraft.

Offline ShawnT

• New folks
« Reply #167 on: June 08, 2008, 09:35:25 AM »
Hey everyone. My name's Shawn, I'm a classic car restoration mechanic from florida. I've got an 86 mustang that I've owned for about 7 years and I'm hoping to make it to maxton this month for the first time. Looking forward to meeting some interesting people , thanks for having me.  :-D
Shawn
86 mustang

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #168 on: June 08, 2008, 06:36:51 PM »
I'm Neil Albaugh from Tucson, Arizona. Actually my wife Joline and I live 25 miles southwest of the city, in Diamond Bell Ranch. This is the Sonora Desert so it is normally hot and dry except during our monsoon season in the late summer.

I got interested in cars & racing in high school. My father took me to the famous Nurburgring to see the German GP in 1956. It was unbelievable-- Stirling Moss chasing Juan Manual Fangio nose- to- tail lap after lap. The scent of a hint of alcohol & nitro mixed with castor oil was intoxicating. Of course we had to go to see the next race there, the ADAC 1000km race. On days when there was no racing, the general public could pay a few Deutchmarks and drive their own car around one lap of the 'ring- 14.7 miles. This was too tempting to us high school boys; a friend owned a '48 Mercury and three of us piled into the Merc and off we went, the roll angles were alarming but we survived. I should explain that we were in Germany because I was an "Army Brat". I graduated from Frankfurt High School in 1957.

Back in the States after College (physics) and the US Army (electronics) I got back into "cars" again, buying a new 1965 GTO coupe and driving it up to Royal Pontiac to get the "Bobcat" mods. After that I drag raced it in "BB Stock" in Virginia. At that time NASCAR was the sanctioning body in VA, not the NHRA. I also resumed my interest in sports car racing, attending races at Marlboro, VIR, Mid- Ohio, etc as a crew member for a friend who raced an AH Sprite. I helped out "Starvin' Marvin Schwartz" with his top fuel effort in Richmond-- and lost a good bit of hearing from it.

Later, in Tucson I was also a crew member for a friend who was owner & driver of a M8C McLaren in the Can- Am Series in '72 & '74. We were a shoestring unsponsored team but never DNF'd and frequently finished ahead of big $ teams. George Bolthoff built the aluminum- block Chevys for us. I designed & built a small Corvair- powered mid- engine sports racing car patterened after one by John Sable. I never really finished that car but I did have fun driving Autocross events in it.

I was fortunate enough to be allowed to enroll in an Aircraft Airframe & Powerplant mechanics course at our local community college and that, together with joining the Experimental Aircraft Association, improved my skill and knowledge that have been useful in building my current LSR project, a mid- engine B/GMS. I've been to Bonneville for the past 4 or 5 years as a spectator, becoming familiar with the procedures there and meeting some great people.

See you on the Salt!
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Freud

« Reply #169 on: June 08, 2008, 07:51:44 PM »
Neil, welcome to the Land of Insanity and Great People. The longer you stand out in the sun in Arizona w/o water or a hat, the better qualified you will be to frequent Bonneville.

FREUD
Since '63

Super Kaz

« Reply #170 on: June 09, 2008, 12:46:58 PM »
Well I guess it's my turn?
James Crag Kasiewicz 1st-aka Super Kaz :evil:
My Friends just call me Kaz.
I've been a Racer and World Class athlete over 30 years.Starting with BMX Racing.Then I got my 1st of Many Dirt Bikes,and started racing them.I made it to Expert,but was BADLY INJURED IN A TESTING CRASH AND WAS NOT ALLOWED TO RACE MOTORCYCLES ANYMORE :cry:!
I need a new rush so I started SCCA auto-crossing.I then got in trouble Racing on the streets and lost my drivers license for a year :oops:!
Thats how I got into bike riding again :-P
Well that was the start of my Triathlon career winning the State Championship{in my age group} 6 Times and placing 4th in the National Championships in Hilton Head South Carolina.
I was going to Move to Europe and become another Greg Lemond,but GOD had other Plans for me :-o! While training for the 1988 Olympics {I wanted a Gold Metal before going off to race in Europe} I was Hit by a Car and broke Multiple Bones in my Legs!
I also went through a Very Ugly divorse,and my Human Racing Career came to and End :x!
I then went back to school {UNLV}and Majored in Athletic Training and planned to be an Exercise Physiologist!Well once I found out what they made my plans soon changed!UNLV was supposed to be getting PT Program started .So stayed there for afew years. I was fortunate enough to have been around during UNLV's Glory Days with The Tark.We Won the National Championships,and everything else. I was/am also a World Class Private Fitness Instructor to Many Different World Champions both male and female.From Super-Cross Racer's, Jet Ski's Racer's,Boxer's,Triatheletes and everything else in between! I also have had my own Business {The Vital Touch} as a Neuromuscular Therapist for the past 20 Years here in Las Vegas.For fun I drag Raced raced my 1400hp Super Street Outlaw Mustang in the NMRA BACK IN 1999-2000,but once again another DIVORCE ended that racing Career.
I Lost Everything{AGAIN},and started with Nothing . I moving back with my folks after 18 years on my own :|! I Busted my Butt to make my Business as successful as Possible,but all I ever thought about was Racing again.Well as Luck would have it I've been Blessed with the Greatest Clients in the World. I was given my 2002 V-rod as a Tip from a Very Special Client of mine and the Racing BUG BIT ME GOOD!
I made the Mistake of going out riding with the LV Stunter's and Racer's,and Nearly Killed myself :-(.
I went back the next day and bought a brand new Ducati 748 Senna Edition.
I knew I needed some coaching so I went to Freddie Spencer's Superbike School here at the LVMS.
It changed my Life as I went from the Slowest to 1 of the Fastest RR in Vegas after just a 3 day schooling.
Well I had a Very Bad Crash while Tire Testing,and had to be Life Flighted out with a Broken Neck,smashed Larynx,severed Tongue,and a concussion just to name few!
 I thought I was going to be Like Chris Reeves,and never be able to walk again.Well GOD Did another Miracle,and My Feeling came back and the use of my hands and feet after only 3 days in ICU. I realized I was to Old and Crazy to Road Race as it hard to do Massages while Laying in a Hospital bed. I changed my focus to going Straight and Fast,and began Drag Racing.Well if I do something "I want to be The Best at it" so I went to Frank Hawley's Drag Racing school in Florida to get my NHRA PSM Lic.I had gone years before to the Pomona school to get my SG Lic. Sop I knew how Great the school was.Now I was on a Real Pro stock Motorcycle being taught by the Best! I got 5 out of my 6 Licensed Runs in the 1st time at school. I came back again and set Quickest ET and MPH ever by a student,and opened allot of eye's :-o! I had NO IDEA How Hard it was to be a Professional Motorcycle Racer at this Level.It's More of a Business at this point then a Sport as the Man/woman with the Most Money Win's! You might of heard the story on how to make a Small fortune out of racing? Start with a Big one 1st! Well I spent Every dollar I had chasing my Dreams. I got to watch a Discovery Channel show about The Bonneville Salt Flats Staring our very own John Noonan,and Michele Derwin Breaking Land Speed Records! That was just before BUB's Event,and I wanted to be a Land speed racer now too 8-) I had Sandy Kosman{Kosman Specialties} fix up my V-rod and off to the Salt I went. Well not knowing anything about LSR I sought out Mr. Noonan,and any other Fast MC Racer to Learn from.Well I learned a very valuable lesson that race{I crashed into a Lake while warming up my bike before I Raced} there is Water out there if your Not careful! I spent 5 hours with some help from a couple fellow racer's only to have Break 1mile into the run :cry:!That was 2004.The Next Year 2005 I came back and set a little V-rod History. Being the 1st Person Ever to break 200mph on a Production Harley V-rod at the Bonneville Salt Flats! 2006 was another Terrible Year as My Bike was Ruined by a wannabe Turbo Builder out of AZ! This Last Year 2007 I thought I had everything ready ,only have multiple electrical gremlins keeping me from going any Faster.I've also had to learn how to work on everything myself{no more $$$ to pay someone else},and what a HUMBLING Job that is! I have So Much More Respect for the Racer's that have to build it break it and fix it again,and AGAIN! My Goals are to get my AA License on my Conventional ''sit on'' Harley Davidson V-rod,and to be The Fastest HD Racer on the Salt,Dirt and Asphalt. I also want to race NHRA PSM,but the lack of sponsorship is the Biggest obstacle,as the Racing is the Easy part!
I have a Long way to go ,but with the Help of some Great Friends on this Forum anything is possible.
A Humbled Racer,
Kaz...................

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #171 on: June 09, 2008, 02:25:04 PM »
Well Krash Kaz, thats quite a history / story of visits to the ER wards. Must hurt in the morning and to get everything to work before trying to walk. Sounds like you have not been bored with all you have done and been through. Can't say much in your choice of wives though, damn they can get expen$ive when they decide to leave. By the way I was in Las Vegas last week but didn't know how to contact you. Send me a PM with info and next time I am in town will try to see you.Good luck on your LSR venues.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #172 on: June 09, 2008, 09:34:45 PM »
Glen, you keep going to Las Vegas and you might need a new wife too........... :-D
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #173 on: June 09, 2008, 09:39:03 PM »
She's the reason I went, To and from Airport to visit my her niece in Calif. Still a good reason to visit to other guys down there. I wanted to get to Pahrump as well just didn't have time.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #174 on: June 09, 2008, 11:08:49 PM »
Nice life Kaz. But I would be looking for something a little stressful.  :-D.  However your accomplisments amaze me and I congratulate you on everything you have so far done. I have no doubt you reach your goals but take them as they come. As you have already found out LSR can be humbling. Nice Bio.......................
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Freud

« Reply #175 on: June 09, 2008, 11:38:06 PM »

Worlds Fastest V-rod Racer ,and Future NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle Champion!

How soon should we expect the HNRA goal to be accomplished?

FREUD
Since '63

Super Kaz

« Reply #176 on: June 10, 2008, 12:26:41 AM »
[quote author=Freud  :x
Worlds Fastest V-rod Racer ,and Future NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle Champion!

How soon should we expect the HNRA goal to be accomplished?

FREUD
[/quote]

Dear Mr. FREUD,
Just as Soon as I find a Sponsor  :cry:!
George Bryce would have me a Team together as soon as the FUNDS Cleared :evil:!
I've got all the Talent in the World,but don't have a Rich Enough Father to pay for it all :oops:.
The Racing is the EASY Part it's getting the $$$ to do it Right thats the B%tch  :x!
Got any  suggestions :??
I need all the Help I can get!
Thanks again everyone for kind words, :wink:
Kaz.......

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2008, 12:33:26 AM »
Super Kaz, your like a cat.  Just don't go through your 9 lives too quickly.  I too went through Athletic training with the same results, "they make how much and work how many hours".  I was done after that.  We also share the Shark the Tark experience although mine was at Fresno State and without the championship.  Great story and good luck. :-D

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #178 on: June 13, 2008, 11:41:21 AM »
Hi kids,

David from Durango here.

I have run 130 and 150 clubs in a Miata w/  99 angry cubic inches.

Would like to run a truck some day . . .

Pet peeve:  statements should be clearly marked IMO (In my Opinion) or have a reference to data.  I have plenty of opinion, but we all know they are only valid on my front porch.

Thanks to Jon for keeping this going - hope to meet everyone at some point.
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #179 on: June 13, 2008, 11:05:26 PM »
DD, IMO most the folks that race Bonneville and frequent this site will tell you what worked for them and what did not if you ask.  Asking the right question always helps, otherwise you can get an answer this is not complete.  Some of us took and still take data on our runs, some dyno, some white dyno. 
Ask me the HP it takes me to go 228 and I'll tell you it takes about 150 + 10 lbs of N20, ask me how much HP is in the 1.5 motor, and I'll tell you about a MPH less than in the 65 inch N20 motor.  Haven't been on a dyno to get data, we have tried, just not successfully.

Welcome to the worlds friendliest racing site.  Since you have run with the USFRA you already know Bonneville is a friendly place.
Have fun with your future projects
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 11:07:11 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O