Author Topic: World Finals 2012 Racing  (Read 155618 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Re: World Finals 2012 Racing
« Reply #240 on: October 05, 2012, 07:45:55 PM »
The last batch of the day.

John Rains' Helipower Firebird leaves the starting line

Hot Rod Ali Youngblood's roadster.

The Steinegger &  Eshenbaugh roadster in the pits...

...along with a shot of its motor.  Pretty trick.

Offline AJR192

« Reply #241 on: October 05, 2012, 08:23:23 PM »
Well, Bob Drury kept his promise about the use of Dallas Volk's Tagline. He broke something. But it does not appear to be records or parts. Just the conduit....

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #242 on: October 05, 2012, 09:57:49 PM »
Just go home from the "Event". Accomplished what we set out to do. I don't know anyone who doesn't want to go faster than what they do and this time is no different. Rang the neck of our GMC twice so I guess I build a pretty good bottom end. Our little air compressor told us I need to seal it up a little better before we bring it out again. A 169.2 record with a "parts wash" GMC pushing a 32 grille shell ain't too bad. On top of our class for 27 years and I'm still not satisfied...some day I've got to retire.

As for all the complaints I read when I opened this thread about what's happened on the FM radio I've only got one minor one. I would have liked to have either or both recap times after every 5th or 6th vehicle has run. I thought they did OK on the announcing as they happen but after a few runs they need to go back and resay the speeds and vehicle #'s.

As many of you know I'm a pretty good talker but I would not want to be infront of a mic for 8-10 hours and need to yak continiously and I don't any of you would like it either if you would.....Speak Up.. I've listened to Ron's story of his youth every year and probably will hear if far as long as he has a mic infront of him. He favors the vehicles he either likes or knows the rest of us are SOL.

I liked Glen in the tower and what he did and I miss it; but guess what, the times don't come from the tower any more they are on the FM and that's it. Maybe Glen would have like that FM job but to me he will be the Chief Timer just like Gary C. was before him; it's for sure he know a hell of a lot about many, many racers and their vehicles...Personally I don't want to hear "take it to impounds" from anyone else so I hope they never use it.

Congrats to the Red Hats...wear them proudly. Mine is never too far away and think on how lucky I can do this and wear the hat too.................................JD

First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JamesJ

« Reply #243 on: October 05, 2012, 10:30:55 PM »
So what how did the Mooneyes car run?  Maybe I missed the update...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #244 on: October 05, 2012, 10:39:16 PM »
An interesting week of front end issues on the bike.  But things could have been way worse. . .

So I think I told you that I hurt a front tire the other day.  I don't know if I hurt it -- but after one run I noticed a thumb-size chunk missing front the front tire, just off to the center.  About 3/4" wide and 1 1/2 - 2" long.  Gone - right down to the cord.  It looked like it just flew off on a run - no other damage showing, no nearby cuts or any indication that something made it happen.  So off to the tire changer we went to mount one of the other fronts from the pit trailer.  No big deal - made an easy run to season the tire a little bit, and then right back at it.

Did I tell you that I was able to run 200 this week?  Or 199 or 200 or sometimes 201 then back to 200.  Okay, so I changed to a smaller sprocket (37 down to a 36T) and ran it hard in fifth gear to the 3 1/2 then clicked into 6th and pulled WFO through the last mile.  Nope -- same old 200 in fifth and darn near it in sixth (couldn't quite pull the smaller gear).  So off came the 36 and on went a 38.  Made a run -- sure as heck, 201.  WTF?  I guess that's all the bike wanted to go with my not-so-small frame stretched on it.  So Jason McVicar got on to make a run or two.  He left kinda easy - getting used to the bike - and when he thought it was feeling fine he pulled on the throttle and an - ready for this? - 201.  Ah, heck, that was a gramma run - next time he'll get on it, he said.  He left the line, ran 160 in the first mile - 190 in the middle, 160 and slowing in the last.  Oh, crap, Nancy and I were thinking as we went to fetch him.  Nope - he had front-wheel bounce - hard, he said.  We went to the pit, washed the tire and didn't see any flaws, and then - when cleaning the wheel rim - noticed one of the balance weights was missing.  Ah-HAH!  That explains it.  So we'll quit now.

The bike runs really well at 201, but gee-zul-man, where's the 206 we need?  Maybe we'll find it next year.  I had the fun of about 8 runs at 200 or so, I had the interesting challenge of two front tire issues, and - and we got to see everyone and watch some fantastic land speed racing.  And we got to watch Max keeping the streaming audio running.

Next year -- watch out!  We'll be back.  Tonight we'll pack up the room and check out in the morning, then pack up the pit, help tear down the course, and hit the road towards way up north.  

And that's that for tonight.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #245 on: October 05, 2012, 11:37:01 PM »
Congrats to the Red Hats...wear them proudly. Mine is never too far away and think on how lucky I can do this and wear the hat too.................................JD

JD,  Very rarely do I get out of the house with out "The HAT"
 I do wear it proudly for as you said: " The Record is for ( today or a day)???  but the hat is forever."
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #246 on: October 06, 2012, 09:47:04 AM »
Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.  43 degrees here this morning.  My skinny pins are asking for long johns, but the sun is, once again, rising on the final day of this 2012 World Finals.  I'll remember it as the Pork Pie red hat meet.

We're on. 
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline doug

« Reply #247 on: October 06, 2012, 11:34:58 AM »
Barnyard Bearcat had a turn-in on the record return.  He qualified at 305 yesterday.  Maybe another chance to get the Blue Hat today?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #248 on: October 06, 2012, 11:47:08 AM »
Brrr.  I spent a few minutes out of the pickup, taking the screws up from holding down the tarp.  Wow, that's chilly.  I'll warm for a minute or two and then go do some more clean-up chores.  We'll hang around 'til the very end, head to SLC for supper with one of the boys, and then head north and east.

Still lots of fun stuff to see, though.  Don't give up yet.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #249 on: October 06, 2012, 12:12:58 PM »
Heard Copeland went 380 again. Did he make a return run?
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #250 on: October 06, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »
Yes, had trouble at the start, ran 176 at the two. 346 or something like that at the five.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline GH

« Reply #251 on: October 06, 2012, 12:24:10 PM »
Did the Salt Cat team back up their 242 run?

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #252 on: October 06, 2012, 12:30:47 PM »
Nope, problems, done.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #253 on: October 06, 2012, 01:07:52 PM »
Like JD, we left the salt after we accomplished our goal the year.  After reviewing the data it is obvious the Bockscar was well piloted and went as fast as it was capable of with the tune provided.  Congratulations Pork Pie, 202.8, you did a stellar job, we are proud of you and you should be proud of you. 

We are back in Denver, cleaning up, BRRRRRRR... its cold here too.

I hope the organization gets the announcing squared away, the competitors need to know what is happening and get the speeds in a timely manner so they know whether they should hurry to impound or loaf it back to the line.  I am used to knowing what is going on during the meet, not knowing due to lack of communication is what I hate about the Bub, and what I disliked about this World Finals.  Our announcing got better with time, hopefully because they read this thread, or maybe they just got tired of repeating the drivel and non racing banter and dedicated some time to announcing times for the competitors, or maybe we learned to tune out everything but the info we needed. 

Good luck to all those still racing.  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jl222

« Reply #254 on: October 06, 2012, 02:03:46 PM »

I hear another broadcast in background, a few minutes ago a female voice. I assume the ''voice in the background'' is the official BNI broadcast to the racers.

The internet broadcast I'm listenig to seems to be getting second hand info.

Can anyone verify this?

JL222