Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3297038 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #2730 on: June 14, 2013, 12:47:07 PM »
You CLEARLY need modification from the photo.

That garage wall is way too close!  Dump the house and get a 1 bedroom with a 7 car garage!!!!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2731 on: June 14, 2013, 01:28:10 PM »
You CLEARLY need modification from the photo.

That garage wall is way too close!  Dump the house and get a 1 bedroom with a 7 car garage!!!!

Well - that might well start an argument. 

I've got a three car garage, a two bedroom house and a one car attic, and Kate's already pistoff about the trailer in the back yard.

I'm thinking of building a deck tall enough to hide the trailer under - out of sight, out of mind - and that puts me out of harm's way . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2732 on: June 14, 2013, 07:47:49 PM »
This whole deal got me thinking - what about the interior side?

Yeah, I've got a lateral restraint there, but that gap is bigger than the exterior side.

Then it occurred to me - somewhere in this pile of Midget dung, I've got the old, shorter lateral restraints that might be just the ticket . . .

Sure, a funny car style cage would be superior, but at some point, I need to be able to actually get into and out of this thing.

I'll share a comment one of the tech guys sent to Lee - who it was, I don't know, but Lee shared the comment . . .

Regarding the picture posted earlier today . . .

“With the forces involved in an impact event and the size of this opening I would like to see at a minimum a 1 inch x .12 thick strap to limit the extrusion of the helmet and drivers head through the cage. The rear head support behind the helmet will probably flex to the rear as there does not appear to be a restriction in that direction”.

I've already committed to a 1 5/8 bar, so I suspect that will be sufficient. 

Frank, Dean, Mark, Bob, Wayne, Sid - Thanks for the dope slap.  :cheers:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #2733 on: June 14, 2013, 08:44:46 PM »
Luv taps Chris, luv taps. BTW, you really need to post a video of you getting in that little beastie. The first time I saw you do it at the mile I 'bout wet myself. :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2734 on: June 14, 2013, 11:45:05 PM »
Luv taps Chris, luv taps. BTW, you really need to post a video of you getting in that little beastie. The first time I saw you do it at the mile I 'bout wet myself. :-D
Not to mention the added expense to your daily budget for feeding straws and diapers.
 :-o

Frank, I'm seeing a very troubling, yet recurring theme here . . .  :|

Let me get rehearsed on the procedure, and then I'll have Kate post up what I'm sure will be a very funny video of fossil flexibility and limitations.  :wink:

Speaking of soiling one's self, that Camaro you're building is very quickly becoming a beast.   :cheers:

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #2735 on: June 15, 2013, 12:38:15 AM »
Don (DND) and I were talking about your roll cage and how close the top bar is to the helmet. It really hard to tell from the angle of the picture but did you take into account belt stretch? Being that close to the top bar, if the car goes on its roof you may suffer a neck compression. I don't have my rulebook handy, but I thought there was a minimum clearance required at the top. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2736 on: June 15, 2013, 11:02:15 AM »
I see maximums for the headrest and laterals (2"), but no minimum.  I'm right on the pad on top.

At this point in the game, if that is a problem, that would be the deal breaker for me for the whole project.  The roll bar is right up against the roof with the hard top in place.

If I get there and it's an issue, I'll ask around and see if I can find a shorter driver.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 12:28:58 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline salt27

« Reply #2737 on: June 15, 2013, 11:19:19 AM »
If it will help, I'm 5-11. :roll:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #2738 on: June 15, 2013, 11:31:12 AM »
I'm 5'-10

Amys 5'-7" :-D :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2739 on: June 15, 2013, 11:40:01 AM »
All very kind of you to offer.  :-D

The queue starts at Land's End.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2740 on: June 15, 2013, 11:58:40 AM »

Damned tall for a 6 year old . . .

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #2741 on: June 15, 2013, 12:24:24 PM »
I am 5'7" be glad to help!! :evil: :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline salt27

« Reply #2742 on: June 15, 2013, 12:26:20 PM »

Damned tall for a 6 year old . . .

Did you read my signature? :-D

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2743 on: June 15, 2013, 01:37:04 PM »
Chris:

183 pages in this thread and I had read everyone of them... the Midget needs to make runs with you in it.

If there is a will there is a way. I wonder if you can get an exception and bend some 3/16 plate and stich weld it between the bars. The other idea is a curved piece like the top fuel guys use around their cage to keep the wind uprights from coming thorough the bars. Surely there is enough fabrication experience reading this thread to come up with a good alternative. I hate to see you give up the drivers eat just to find a "5.7" guy.... like myself.

BR

I see maximums for the headrest and laterals (2"), but no minimum.  I'm right on the pad on top.

At this point in the game, if that is a problem, that would be the deal breaker for me for the whole project.  The roll bar is right up against the roof with the hard top in place.

If I get there and it's an issue, I'll ask around and see if I can find a shorter driver.
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2744 on: June 15, 2013, 02:36:54 PM »
Bill, here's how it will work.

I'm arranging to get the extra bar welded in between the main hoop and the rear upright.  I'm thinking that while I have the thing apart, I'll probably have the steel hinged lateral restraint welded to the cage, too.  That way, it becomes integrated into the cage and forms yet another solid seat attachment point.

As to the overall height of me with respect to the cage, while Tony's point is good, I really had not anticipated it being a problem until today.  All of the indications the rule book have given me is that they want close confinement of the helmet in the cage, which I've got, and will have improved upon.  As to the height of the helmet with respect to the roll bar, I've simply built it to the maximum the confines of the car allow.

I anticipate being the wheel man in this ride, but above everything else, this has been a mission on getting an MG back in the record book - not me.  If at tech, I find that they are uncomfortable with me and my frame taking to the salt, and that a shorter person can do it, the only problem I'll have is teaching somebody else what they'll need to know to operate it safely. 

And getting them to sign a waiver . . . :roll:

Sure, I want to drive it, but in the end, it's not about me - it's about the car.

One of the peculiar aspects of the SCTA-BNI records is that they list the driver, the class, the speed, the date and the team - they never list the brand. 

The team name is Milwaukee Midget Racing.  If the car is swift enough to take the record, it will read Milwaukee Midget Racing.  That information, along with a rudimentary understanding of the class will be sufficient for anybody with even the lightest of historical knowledge to connect the dots and know that there is an MG there.

That's really the goal for me.  I WANT to drive it, but I don't HAVE to.

Looks like I've got a list of volunteers who will help if it comes to that.  :-D