Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3300514 times)

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #2820 on: July 19, 2013, 12:36:08 AM »
Mr. Midget,

It has been fun to watch and read about this build over the timeline you have shared it. 8-)

It has been a while since I have had a chance to read anything with detail  on here much less post. :roll:

I look forward to hopefully watching you get in and out of the thing!  :-D

Ya done good! :cheers:

Regards,

HB2 :-)

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2821 on: July 19, 2013, 09:16:42 AM »
Hi, Harold -

It's where it's at in part due to your book, "Dyno Testing and Tuning".  Fordboy led the way, but I knew where he was going and could anticipate the next steps and ask the right questions because I read your book.  It also helped that we had a capable and willing facility at our disposal - T&T, in Gurnee, Illinois.

We were able to get in, I think, 45 pulls over two days - we used your text, did the homework, and got results.

I'll try to remember to bring my copy with me, and if you're on the salt this year, I'd like you to turn it into an autographed copy.

Thanks, Harold.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #2822 on: July 21, 2013, 01:08:40 AM »
Mr. Midget,

Thank you for the very kind words.

It is nice to hear that the book information has provided some use to you and perhaps others as well. :-D

IF I get to make it to the speedweek event, I will certainly look you up and will be pleased to autograph same. :-o

You also had some excellent guidance with Mark's help and hopefully that will make your salty experience a good one.

Good Luck. :cheers:

Regards,
HB2 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2823 on: July 23, 2013, 09:39:28 PM »
Been a while since anything interesting here, but it’s been a case of the last minute details.  I’m fortunate in that most of this is stuff I could let slide, but I’ve got the time, and I’m used to a thrash by now, so . . .

Air filter.  This time it fits.  I had a K&N that I pawned off to Graham in Australia, but when we discovered the shorter Maniflow manifold was the best power producer, I decided to locate another one and do it right.  I wish I had taken pictures, because when we flowed the “sock” style air filters at T&T, it damned near sucked the whole filter down the carburetor throat.  But this one fits nicely, and clears the very short air horns . . .

When I  was at Sussex last month for the British Car Field Day, Dick Luening stopped by and warned me that I didn’t have enough breather for the block.  Of course, I already knew this - at the time, it was only vented at the valve cover and the front cover.  He suggested I drill a hole where the fuel pump casting boss was – something not machined for Midgets - thread it, and run a line up.  A good idea, but damned if I’m going to pull the engine, disassemble it, create a raft of swarf, clean it up and put it back together again . . . well . . . this year, anyway.

Besides, I already had a nice hole in the block – where the distributor used to live . . .

I took the dizzy collar, turned down a copper fitting with a 45 on it and JB welded it into the collar.  There is also a brass bolt with a piece of extruded steel mesh between it and the 45 degree turn out to help dam the oil from heading up the hose.  The collar already had an “O” ring on the outside, so I just used the existing bolt, and bingo – a leak proof vent.

I plumbed up a hose to a point higher than the rest of the engine on the footwell, and threw a nice, chromy Mr. Gasket breather cover onto the end of it . . .

I’ll fire it up tomorrow and make sure it doesn’t puke up oil all over everything. 

Offline wisdonm

« Reply #2824 on: July 23, 2013, 10:36:56 PM »
Dick and I were just at a shine and show tonight and were discussing your breather problem after seeing an MG-B with a breather problem. Hope it works. It got to be better.
Stand on it....brakes only slow you down.

Has a checkered past.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2825 on: July 24, 2013, 05:49:32 AM »
Chris, you didn't dyno the engine with that style breather, did you? You may find it restrictive, causing a loss in HP.

I think maybe you should consider a screen type filter, to keep the salt out, and not restrict flow so much. JMHO.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #2826 on: July 24, 2013, 06:18:54 AM »
Chris, you didn't dyno the engine with that style breather, did you? You may find it restrictive, causing a loss in HP.

I think maybe you should consider a screen type filter, to keep the salt out, and not restrict flow so much. JMHO.

Buddy,
You are either a very early riser or a proverbial night owl, if I can believe that you posted that  just a few minutes ago.  As I am still in N.S., it's 7:00 AM, and not 4:00, I have to ask you (before Chris wakes up) if you meant to question his breather or his air filter?
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2827 on: July 24, 2013, 07:00:12 AM »
Tom, I am an early riser, and I'm on the east coast at the moment, so it's now 7:00 A.M. here also.

You bring up a good point-I said breather, but I was questioning his air filter. Thanks for pointing that out! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2828 on: July 24, 2013, 07:31:37 AM »

Not to worry guys.

Of all the air filters I have flow tested & dyno tested, K&N are the best flowing & typically produce the best/nearly the best bhp.   Chris, when I flowed the 38DCOE's for Wiggle-Pin, his USED K&N dropped the flow two cfm, approximately 1%.   And that was with the standard long air horns, the modified air horns you are using are very short. . . . . . .     If you are close & need the 1%, you can always remove the filter on the salt.

As far as the engine breather goes, you might want to consider running all the vent lines to a "breather can".   The can should be baffled, have a return line for collected oil to be returned to the wet sump and have a large enough breather vent area to slow the breather's air flow to atmosphere.   Slowing the airflow is key to preventing the "Grenade" from regurgitating oil . . . . .

Of course, the normally ever-present Pommey car engine compartment oil film does prevent chassis weakening from oxidation . . . . . . .
 :cheers:
Fordboy
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 07:34:12 AM by fordboy628 »
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2829 on: July 24, 2013, 08:23:23 AM »
I simply can't bring myself to run it without an air filter of some sort.  The K&N is about as good as they come.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2830 on: July 24, 2013, 08:37:26 PM »
I ran the 2100 without filters and the carb butterfly shafts were frozen when I got back to the east coast. The tops of the pistons were chalky white with corrosion when I pulled the engine down about a month after speed week. Next time I will put some old plugs in it and oil the cylinders real good before I head home.

The other area the was bad was the back of the hub where the oil seal rides on the spindle. I guess the salt gets back there and eats the cast iron up. So as soon as I get back and get the underside clean I will remove the hubs clean and replace the seals.
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2831 on: July 24, 2013, 09:44:52 PM »
Well - that's good to see.  10 minutes, the engine up to temp, and no petroleum upchuck to deal with.

I deem the vent a success.

And the neighbors hate me again . . .  :|

gkabbt

« Reply #2832 on: July 25, 2013, 05:16:48 AM »

LOL!  :evil:  :-)   :-D

Gregg

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2833 on: July 25, 2013, 07:12:09 AM »
Well - that's good to see.  10 minutes, the engine up to temp, and no petroleum upchuck to deal with.

I deem the vent a success.

Midget,

Maybe it's just me, but I got the impression that the old guy living behind you across the alley, hates everything . . . . . .   except for maybe: beer & barbed wire . . . . .    I'll bet he's a certain ethnicity . . . . .

JM2C

BTW, babies regurgitate in an unpredictable manner . . . . . .  :roll:
 :cheers:
F/B
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2834 on: July 25, 2013, 09:42:23 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but I got the impression that the old guy living behind you across the alley, hates everything . . . . . .   except for maybe: beer & barbed wire . . . . .   

No barbed wire, but his stockade fence sure takes a pounding . . .  :-D

Actually, since he quit drinking, he's become a bit grumpier, but the Midget doesn't bother him - he just turns down his hearing aids.

You should meet his younger brother . . .  Just like him, only MORE SO!    :-o