Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3300518 times)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #2805 on: July 11, 2013, 09:19:25 AM »
A little down time - so I ran off to, "gee, I wonder if . . . " land. 

I dug around the slag pile that is my used BMC engine parts corner of basement world and pulled out an old 948 block.  Dale posted up the diameter of the Harley Davidson tappets the Flatcad is using - .750, which is smaller in diameter than the .812's in the Midget, but are of a roller variety.  The 948 has an open tappet chest - the 1275 block is solid, but they're similar enough that I'm thinking I might be able to pull this off for next year.

Just bouncing some numbers around, but I'm thinking a machined insert might accommodate a modified Harley roller tappet in the Grenade.  :roll:

Chris, these custom one off lifters would probably be cost prohibitive to buy.

....but, I have tons of Harley rollers lifters, that would probably work, with a sleeve, and maybe a few mods. I'll throw a handful in the pickup, and give them to you on the salt.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2806 on: July 11, 2013, 11:22:57 AM »
I'll pick 'em up in 30 days!

:cheers:

All part of the grand experiment . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2807 on: July 12, 2013, 09:41:40 AM »
A little down time - so I ran off to, "gee, I wonder if . . . " land. 

I dug around the slag pile that is my used BMC engine parts corner of basement world and pulled out an old 948 block.  Dale posted up the diameter of the Harley Davidson tappets the Flatcad is using - .750, which is smaller in diameter than the .812's in the Midget, but are of a roller variety.  The 948 has an open tappet chest - the 1275 block is solid, but they're similar enough that I'm thinking I might be able to pull this off for next year.

Just bouncing some numbers around, but I'm thinking a machined insert might accommodate a modified Harley roller tappet in the Grenade.  :roll:

Midget,

You might need a block with a tappet chest for this.  Let me know if you want to check out the 2 early 1275S blocks I have in my garage.

From a practical standpoint, I think you would be better off to fit larger OD tappets from BWR by reaming the block to .842"/.875" diameter.

Oh, BTW, RACE THE DAM* GIT BEFORE THINKIN' ABOUT CHANGIN' IT!   :roll:
Fordboy

P.S.  Consumed the Hive Initiative Chocolate Mead last night, very tasty . . . . .   trying to get out of my Lienie's Dark Lager rut . . . . . . .
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
F/B
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2808 on: July 12, 2013, 10:18:50 AM »

Oh, BTW, RACE THE DAM* GIT BEFORE THINKIN' ABOUT CHANGIN' IT!   :roll:
Fordboy

Well, actually, I was thinking that if Buddy's going to bring tappets, we could just pull the engine in Wendover, run the block to SLC, have 'em whip up the inserts and clearance the block from the drawing we'll do with crayons on the back of a cocktail napkin, haul it back, bolt it all together in 100 degree heat, and see if it works.

:roll:

Well, maybe not . . .

Vintage racer's creed -
If a job's worth doing, it's worth putting off to the last minute . . .

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2809 on: July 12, 2013, 10:52:45 AM »
Don't forget the DBC credo . . .

Duck tape
Bailing wire
Chewing gum
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Freud

« Reply #2810 on: July 12, 2013, 04:06:42 PM »
Quote:  thanks for your input, and thanks for checking out my slow spiral into madness! 

Are you defecating me?

You are in a super sonic plunge passing thru madness on your way to oblivion.

That's why there is so much interest in your final outcome.

We want to know how to avoid your destiny.

It's also fun to laugh at those who are in deeper doo-doo than we are,

but you do seem happy and green.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2811 on: July 12, 2013, 04:17:26 PM »

That's why there is so much interest in your final outcome.

We want to know how to avoid your destiny.

:?

I was following you . . .  :|

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2812 on: July 16, 2013, 12:01:08 AM »
Why do MGs rust?  Well, a lot of it has to do with the fact that there are so many open areas where crap collects.

One of the key areas is in the lower rear of the front fender.  Dirt, road salt and moisture gets kicked up between the inner fender and the outer fender, and short of removing the fender and cleaning it out, there’s really not a lot you can do to stop it.

Driving it on a surface of salt is a recipe for disaster.

This won’t cure it, but it should help.

It’s garage door weather strip, riveted to the lip in the inner fender.  It permitted me to trim the inner fender wells for additional clearance in a tight configuration without having to radius the wheel wells.

So the Midget retains its charming good looks and still maintains its “do-it-yourself” punk attitude.

A couple of pieces of rubber sheet were also employed to keep salt from kicking up into the engine compartment and getting into the carb and onto the electrical.

I’m a few washers short of finishing (I’ve always been a few washers short) but it’s one of those niggling little things that has bugged me just enough to do something about it.

The new bar in place – padding is on order – should be here by the end of the week along with a new oil filter and some 5W-30 Brad Penn.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2813 on: July 16, 2013, 04:39:51 AM »
Why do MGs rust?  Well, a lot of it has to do with the fact that there are so many open areas where crap collects.

They aren't on their own there. Jags are worse,but it's a characteristic of Pommy cars from the dark ages I don't quite understand why they didn't copy one of the many better ways of buttoning up the front clip, they used so many bolts, so much metal and yet somehow got so busy with that part of it that they didn't think to drain it and avoid dust traps , god bless 'em.

What you've done there looks great, pull it apart and hose the bugger out, you'll be right.

More importantly remain calm and remember to have fun, short of an act of god this thing is gonna fly and when you come home with a record you also want to have had a good time, concentrate on that bit as well, don't over prepare ALL of the fun out..... you're lookin good. :cheers:

This has been a long strange trip brother, keep on truckin  :mrgreen:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2814 on: July 16, 2013, 08:15:18 AM »
Like the good Dr. said.  :wink: By the way, I like the way the new bar looks. That was a gaping hole there and you plugged it without limiting egress except through that hole at an inconvenient moment.  :roll: See you in a few weeks.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2815 on: July 16, 2013, 09:27:18 AM »
MM:

Getting closer. The car is never DONE so it will always be a few washers short.

Looking good. Building the Midget was one thing but you took the time to post and develop 188 pages for build diary thread for all of us to share. There are a bunch of us that now know this car well. We will all be on board in spirit. Everyone dreams but only 1% build the dream and execute the dream. Welcome to the 1% club. Yes there is a hat...not sure what color it is but it will say Bonneville 2013 Participant. Yes it is worth every effort and $.

As far as the salt, it is going to get everywhere. Use a lot of anti-seize, WD 40, clear coat and plan on striping it down when you return.   

BR

One of the key areas is in the lower rear of the front fender.  Dirt, road salt and moisture gets kicked up between the inner fender and the outer fender, and short of removing the fender and cleaning it out, there’s really not a lot you can do to stop it.

Driving it on a surface of salt is a recipe for disaster.

This won’t cure it, but it should help.

It’s garage door weather strip, riveted to the lip in the inner fender.  It permitted me to trim the inner fender wells for additional clearance in a tight configuration without having to radius the wheel wells.

So the Midget retains its charming good looks and still maintains its “do-it-yourself” punk attitude.

A couple of pieces of rubber sheet were also employed to keep salt from kicking up into the engine compartment and getting into the carb and onto the electrical.

I’m a few washers short of finishing (I’ve always been a few washers short) but it’s one of those niggling little things that has bugged me just enough to do something about it.

The new bar in place – padding is on order – should be here by the end of the week along with a new oil filter and some 5W-30 Brad Penn.

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2816 on: July 16, 2013, 10:28:04 AM »
MM:

Building the Midget was one thing but you took the time to post and develop 188 pages for build diary thread for all of us to share. There are a bunch of us that now know this car well. We will all be on board in spirit. Everyone dreams but only 1% build the dream and execute the dream. Welcome to the 1% club. Yes there is a hat...not sure what color it is but it will say Bonneville 2013 Participant. Yes it is worth every effort and $.

Thanks, Bill.

I'm glad it will be in spirit, because to tell the truth, there's not a lot of room for passengers.   :cheers:

I've had a number of projects in my life that have never come to full fruition.  I can't let it happen to this one.

There was a column by Peter Egan that I have clipped at home.  He and a buddy of his were taking some practice laps, and another fellow comes up and says, "I've always wanted to do that".

His buddy says, "No you haven't."

Essentially, the column goes on to explain that if you've always wanted to do it, you'd be doing it.

And I don't want to be the guy that Peter's buddy had called out.

By sharing this build, I am always "putting it out there", and because it's documented for the whole world to see - warts and all (and when it comes to beverages, worts and all) - it keeps me to task. 

You can call me on some of my BS in the build, but I won't be called out for not making it happen.

It's become important to me personally.  I don't need a hat, I don't need a record, I just need to give it what I know is my best shot.

And if this shot doesn't do it, I'll reload.

The encouragement I've received from this site has been key to getting it this far.

And I can't thank Fordboy enough.  He brought a degree of discipline to the engine development I would have floundered with.

So now I guess I've just got to go drive the damned thing.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #2817 on: July 16, 2013, 06:03:34 PM »
that is using your noodle Chris, drive on Macduff.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2818 on: July 16, 2013, 09:56:08 PM »
Chris,

Exactly, it will be worth the effort.

I said it for 40 years and one day I decided to make it happen. Business and cubic dollars will limit me to every few years but all spare time and dollars are devoted to getting back to Speedweek.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2819 on: July 16, 2013, 11:05:22 PM »

And I can't thank Fordboy enough.  He brought a degree of discipline to the engine development I would have floundered with.

Midget,

Gosh, golly, gee, Thanks for the kind words.   But I didn't do much.   Crunched some numbers, pointed out the obvious, did some analysis, recommended some testing, etc . . . .     

I leave the discipline to Mistress Helga . . . .  she's better at it . . . . . .

I'm just doing this to fill in until I can get hired for my dream job . . . .    barley based beverage taste tester . . . . . . .
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein