Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3300309 times)

Offline DND

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #2745 on: June 15, 2013, 03:15:33 PM »
MM

Just lower the seat pan on the drivers side for more room, the way it is when your belts strech a 1- 1/2" you could be in seroius trouble and all belts are going to strech with the body weight & G's if the car goes over

The arse you save could be your own !!!

Don

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2746 on: June 15, 2013, 06:15:24 PM »
Ok when you put it that way, I am 5'7" with an "A" license. But it won't be necessary, I am confident you will get it worked out.

BR

Bill, here's how it will work.

I'm arranging to get the extra bar welded in between the main hoop and the rear upright.  I'm thinking that while I have the thing apart, I'll probably have the steel hinged lateral restraint welded to the cage, too.  That way, it becomes integrated into the cage and forms yet another solid seat attachment point.

As to the overall height of me with respect to the cage, while Tony's point is good, I really had not anticipated it being a problem until today.  All of the indications the rule book have given me is that they want close confinement of the helmet in the cage, which I've got, and will have improved upon.  As to the height of the helmet with respect to the roll bar, I've simply built it to the maximum the confines of the car allow.

I anticipate being the wheel man in this ride, but above everything else, this has been a mission on getting an MG back in the record book - not me.  If at tech, I find that they are uncomfortable with me and my frame taking to the salt, and that a shorter person can do it, the only problem I'll have is teaching somebody else what they'll need to know to operate it safely. 

And getting them to sign a waiver . . . :roll:

Sure, I want to drive it, but in the end, it's not about me - it's about the car.

One of the peculiar aspects of the SCTA-BNI records is that they list the driver, the class, the speed, the date and the team - they never list the brand. 

The team name is Milwaukee Midget Racing.  If the car is swift enough to take the record, it will read Milwaukee Midget Racing.  That information, along with a rudimentary understanding of the class will be sufficient for anybody with even the lightest of historical knowledge to connect the dots and know that there is an MG there.

That's really the goal for me.  I WANT to drive it, but I don't HAVE to.

Looks like I've got a list of volunteers who will help if it comes to that.  :-D
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2747 on: June 15, 2013, 06:36:08 PM »
That line is getting longer, Bill. 

Actually, if it comes down to this "last resort", I'm wondering if Graham might be interested.  He's building a 970 very similar to mine for his Mini Cooper in Oz, and he's coming over in a few weeks, but I don't know how short he is.

"Milwaukee Midget Racing International"

I like the sound of that.

Again, we'll cross that bridge if it exists.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #2748 on: June 15, 2013, 07:40:25 PM »
Don, I believe that if Chris lowers the seat pan any more his arse WILL be in trouble.

:-o
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline SteveM

« Reply #2749 on: June 15, 2013, 08:52:37 PM »
I'm 5-9, right at 160 lbs.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2750 on: June 15, 2013, 09:06:30 PM »
There is a way to make that car pass tech with Chris in it. I wish I could see it in person. Do a quick phone video view of the cage and what interferes with the additional tubing need to comply and post it. Throw it up on your photobucket. I bet someone here can figure out a fix.

BR

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2751 on: June 16, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »
Oh, you've had some developements in the last few days, I hope you're gunna be ok Mate.
I hear you, if you need to put a driver in, you'd want a BMC guy. Graham's about my height as I recall, about 5'10.
Can you slide the seat forward a touch? Is it too late for surgery?? :roll:
  Sid.

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #2752 on: June 16, 2013, 09:50:05 PM »
Who me???  :?

Or Grummm of Bellytank and bike scrute fame?

I'm a BMC bloke, and a short arse, 5 foot 6 n three-quaters mister  :-D

While I'd be honoured, given all his efforts, Chris needs this real bad!

I'm sure he's working on it right now!  :-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2753 on: June 17, 2013, 12:31:37 AM »
2nd place at the Sussex British Car Field day, today.

Part of this is that you need to drive around to the presenter's station.  Sunbeam Tiger (burblr, burblr), XKE (burblr, burblr), and then a rat rod Midget that won't idle below 3 grand with an open exhaust (Reee, putputputputa, REEEEEE).

Quite humorous - the presenter left the microphone open, which only made it worse, but now I've driven the car with the transmission in place, which is reassuring.  :cheers:

Kate hasn't downloaded the pics yet - I'll ask her to get them to me.

While I'd be honoured, given all his efforts, Chris needs this real bad!

I'm sure he's working on it right now!  :-D

I'm trying to find a reputable shin reduction surgeon.  :-D

I've got first dibs, but if this turns out to be an issue, the car is going, with or without me.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2754 on: June 17, 2013, 01:25:00 AM »
If you need a shorter driver I know one who'd do it who's just under 6'1" and in all fairness if there is a competition I think it should go to the guy who is prepared to travel the furthest......I'm further away than either of the Grahams......just got finance approval to recover the house, and there's some slack.....

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline salt27

« Reply #2755 on: June 17, 2013, 01:56:50 AM »
Dr. G, does this mean we will see you at Speedweek 3 years running? :cheers:

Back on subject, Chris get a hair cut and lift heavy objects to compress those disc, you have got to drive and if not what about Fordboy.

I will see you there, Don

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #2756 on: June 17, 2013, 02:02:56 AM »
Don , much as I love ya probably not. Haven't got a brief to write stories this year so I don't get any costs covered, the Aussie dollar just went south so it's about ten per cent more expensive and there's no-one I really want to hide from this year so I'm saving my sheckles for the thing that you'll all got to know me for...is that enough reasons?

anyway, If show up there you'll only take some embarrassing photo of me :roll:.....next time I go stateside I want to do more than bolt directly from LA to Wendover and home again.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline salt27

« Reply #2757 on: June 17, 2013, 02:31:19 AM »
Don , much as I love ya probably not. Haven't got a brief to write stories this year so I don't get any costs covered, the Aussie dollar just went south so it's about ten per cent more expensive and there's no-one I really want to hide from this year so I'm saving my sheckles for the thing that you'll all got to know me for...is that enough reasons?

anyway, If show up there you'll only take some embarrassing photo of me :roll:.....next time I go stateside I want to do more than bolt directly from LA to Wendover and home again.

Hey, I took no pictures last year and besides that my new computer has Windows 8 and I can't get my photo program to work.

Also, don't go telling me you love me on a public forum, that's what PMs are for, geez. :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #2758 on: June 17, 2013, 06:01:16 AM »
Hey, I took no pictures last year and besides that my new computer has Windows 8 and I can't get my photo program to work.
What's wrong with you Don, make Gus do it :roll: :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2759 on: June 17, 2013, 09:05:48 AM »
next time I go stateside I want to do more than bolt directly from LA to Wendover and home again.

Fly into Chicago, I'll pick you up, and we'll do the Knoxville Nationals in Iowa on the way out.

And YOU get to do the driving through Nebraska.  :evil: