Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3300332 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #2475 on: April 23, 2013, 06:50:34 PM »
Hey, I remember those Hartwells! Look great!

I'll hit the driver's side tonight - there is no down-time - only different issues to address.

I'm thinking this weekend might be a good opportunity to clean up and detail the engine bay.  The weatherman says we're looking at 60 degrees - hasn't been that warm here since the first week in February . . .

Chris,
Sending it back to the mfg is a pretty good idea, power to the ground leg is asking for trouble. When it comes to electronic anything on a car the ground connection is probably the most important. I would suggest a separate wire from the ground connection back to the battery ground plus additional ground wires to the engine block and anything else that is handy. You just can't have enough grounds, as long as they are all referenced to the battery ground.

Rex

Sent everything - including the electronic test chassis - all bolted together to Electromotive for them to test.  If it passes muster on their bench, it will be a bolt-up to the engine on the dyno.

On the car itself, not only is the ECU and the DFU grounded to the chassis, separate ground wires are attached to both, which share the bolt on the bellhousing with the ground strap.  I duplicated the same process on the test chassis - I just didn't pay close enough attention to the details.

I know it worked in the car - it's this "out-of-body" experience I've had a bit of trouble with.

Let's hope I haven't fried something.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2476 on: April 23, 2013, 07:55:05 PM »
Chris, you'll get it sorted out, and when you do, I'm betting you have success on the salt! :cheers:

See you in a couple of months- I'm not a big beer drinker, but if there is something you like from one of our Colorado breweries, I'll bring it with me. :-D
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2477 on: April 23, 2013, 08:07:25 PM »
See you in a couple of months- I'm not a big beer drinker, but if there is something you like from one of our Colorado breweries, I'll bring it with me. :-D

Appreciate the offer, but as it happens, Kate's nephew, Nick, will be out from Boulder to help the project along - and bring supplies.

Interesting character.  He used to manage the Trek Mountain Bike Team, owns a company that trades in high end used and discontinued bicycle parts, and has worked with some pretty decent up-and-coming independent musicians.  He's started a project which is 1/2 whimsy, 1/2 brilliance -

http://galaxiesessions.com/about/

I've actually driven this car, but I haven't played guitar in it . . . yet.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2478 on: April 23, 2013, 11:01:54 PM »
A little Polygamy Porter (thanks, Don), a little patience, and viola – all Hartells installed.

Now if I had only remembered to charge the battery for the camera . . .

That Memory Lapse Pale Ale seems to have a long lasting effect . . .

Offline Tman

« Reply #2479 on: April 25, 2013, 06:47:18 PM »
I am sure I have crossed mountainbike paths with him after being in the industry so long.

Have Buddy bring you some cans of Dales Pale Ale and Old Chub!! :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2480 on: April 27, 2013, 01:42:13 AM »
I am sure I have crossed mountainbike paths with him after being in the industry so long.

Have Buddy bring you some cans of Dales Pale Ale and Old Chub!! :cheers:

Scotch Ale's for punters, mate. 

Dale's sounds intriguing - hops and more hops - just perfect after a hot, dry day of racing and/or swearing at a Midget.

The Sprecher Special Amber Vienna Style Lager comes in cans - I'm thinking that and Ol' Speckled Hen, along with the mead we whipped up, some Templeton Rye and Kate's requisite Hendrick's and Tonic will be the beverages of choice under the portable pygmy pop-up.  And whatever Fordboy puts in a request for.

Hmmmm . . . Fordboy . . . Probably going to have to bring the large cooler . . .

gkabbt

« Reply #2481 on: April 27, 2013, 07:25:51 AM »

Scotch Ale's for punters, mate. 

Dale's sounds intriguing - hops and more hops - just perfect after a hot, dry day of racing and/or swearing at a Midget.

The Sprecher Special Amber Vienna Style Lager comes in cans - I'm thinking that and Ol' Speckled Hen, along with the mead we whipped up, some Templeton Rye and Kate's requisite Hendrick's and Tonic will be the beverages of choice under the portable pygmy pop-up.  And whatever Fordboy puts in a request for.

Hmmmm . . . Fordboy . . . Probably going to have to bring the large cooler . . .

Mmmmmm, more talk of beer!
I swear I going to have to drive out for the next dyno day!   :cheers:

Gregg

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2482 on: April 29, 2013, 08:21:45 AM »
And whatever Fordboy puts in a request for.

Midget,

Yes, the large cooler is probably a good idea.    Not necessarily on my account though. . . . . . . :roll:
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . etc, etc
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2483 on: April 29, 2013, 11:09:22 AM »

Midget,

Yes, the large cooler is probably a good idea.    Not necessarily on my account though. . . . . . . :roll:
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . etc, etc
Fordboy

Quality is good  :cheers:
but quality in quantity is really good  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2484 on: April 30, 2013, 10:59:52 PM »

Midget,

Fordboy

but quality in quantity is really good  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

I'll bring both.  Save me a couple for after my runs - please . . .

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2485 on: May 02, 2013, 11:51:58 AM »

Midget,

Fordboy

I'll bring both.  Save me a couple for after my runs - please . . .

Well that ought to be motivation for a speedy run then!!!   :roll:

Let's see, 7 miles at a max of 22mph, would be about 20 minutes consumption time. . .   AND, it's SURE to be HOT. . . . . hmmmm. . . . . better be speedy.  :-D
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Consumptionboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Geo

« Reply #2486 on: May 02, 2013, 01:58:40 PM »
Let's see, 7 miles at a max of 22mph, would be about 20 minutes consumption time. . .   AND, it's SURE to be HOT. . . . . hmmmm. . . . . better be speedy. 

That's old news.  I heard rumors of big improvements this year.  What's the latest plan?  :-D

Geo

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2487 on: May 02, 2013, 02:52:17 PM »
Let's see, 7 miles at a max of 22mph, would be about 20 minutes consumption time. . .   AND, it's SURE to be HOT. . . . . hmmmm. . . . . better be speedy. 

That's old news.  I heard rumors of big improvements this year.  What's the latest plan?  :-D

Geo

I just got off the phone with Electromotive, and indeed, I have ducked a bullet.  The unit tested as it should, it's being shipped out today via UPS, and I should see it on Monday.  I'll call and confirm a date for my Northern Illinois Recon mission.

Okay guys - I think it's fund raising time for Landracing.com!

If it's okay with Slim, I'd like to propose a DYNO-THON!!!

I'll contribute $1.00 per horsepower on our best pull to Landracing.com.  Fordboy will be the arbiter of the math, and I'll post up the print-outs.

You pick a monetary amount, multiply that by the horsepower "the Grenade" produces, and send Slim a check for that amount.

I'll chat with Jon, and we'll see if we can't make this a separate thread.

More info soon.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2488 on: May 02, 2013, 02:54:12 PM »
Unh, sure, as long as you (the guy that's starting this fund-raiser) make some kind of stipulation like "All multipliers must be two-digit whole integers or greater".  Thanks, Chris.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2489 on: May 02, 2013, 03:02:30 PM »
Unh, sure, as long as you (the guy that's starting this fund-raiser) make some kind of stipulation like "All multipliers must be two-digit whole integers or greater".  Thanks, Chris.
Integers are already whole.  :-D :cheers: Wayno