Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3318452 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #2445 on: April 16, 2013, 09:04:53 PM »
Working on adaptor for cable throttle.   Will post pics later today.
 :cheers:
Mickey Mouse   (RIP Annette. . . . .)
While the cat's away the mice will, . . . .  are busy working on more dyno adaptors!     Part Deux. . . . .

(well, technically the cat is back, but that doesn't work on this little thread diversion. . . . . . . . . )

Midget,

As promised, pictured below:

For long playing axeman, extended (album) version of throttle adaptor, for cable actuator. . . . . . . .

Manfred Maus
(Der Deutsche cousin von Mickey)
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2446 on: April 16, 2013, 09:10:14 PM »
ALSO:

T- 12:00 and counting down. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Rocket man

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2447 on: April 16, 2013, 09:42:11 PM »
Mice like you sure are handy. Keep up the good work Fordboy!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2448 on: April 17, 2013, 12:31:13 AM »

As promised, pictured below:

Gosh, I was expecting variegated padauk, teak and maple, but I suppose metal will do . . .

It IS easier to weld . . .

So - will it be back from the chrome shop by 8?  :wink:

Okay - sincerely, THANK YOU.  

I called and verified our appointment for Wednesday - there is no other engine on the dyno, so we should be able to plug and play.

The car is loaded, the alarm and coffee maker are set, Wisdonm is going to be by early, and all I have to do is stop at a truck stop and pick up fuses for the ignition.

Reports to follow - and by the way, Cecil Kimber's 125th birthday celebration in Bennington was ubercool.  More on that when I get some time.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2449 on: April 17, 2013, 06:28:15 AM »
Gosh, I was expecting variegated padauk, teak and maple, but I suppose metal will do . . .

So - will it be back from the chrome shop by 8?  :wink:

Okay - sincerely, THANK YOU.  

I called and verified our appointment for Wednesday - there is no other engine on the dyno, so we should be able to plug and play.

The car is loaded, the alarm and coffee maker are set, Wisdonm is going to be by early, and all I have to do is stop at a truck stop and pick up fuses for the ignition.

Reports to follow - and by the way, Cecil Kimber's 125th birthday celebration in Bennington was ubercool.  More on that when I get some time.

VE DON'T GOT TO SCHOW YOU NO STINKIN' BEANIE AND CECIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dimunitive Denizen von "Beerhaven",

Vhat ve vant ist a photographic essay uf da "Schpanking".    Ve vould prefer photos/videos dat feature "Mistress Helga", und not some oldt, fat, wannabe, "Saltine" racers. . . . . . .
Manfred Maus (resident von der Reeperbahn am Hamburg, St. Pauli Distrikt)

P.S.   T- 2:33 und counting. . . . . . .
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:47:40 AM by fordboy628 »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2450 on: April 17, 2013, 06:34:25 AM »

Dimunitive Denizen von "Beerhaven",

Mein vood velding hast been suffering lately und metal vill hab to do. . . . . .
 :cheers: und schtill counting down,
Werner von Braun Maus (cousin to Manfred. . . . .)

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #2451 on: April 17, 2013, 09:02:43 AM »
Good luck today guys!

101 @ 7800 !  :-P

Nice cake!  :-D

Offline SteveM

« Reply #2452 on: April 17, 2013, 11:59:07 AM »
The excitement is nearly overwhelming!!!
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Duck-Stew

« Reply #2453 on: April 17, 2013, 03:03:50 PM »
I'm pumped!  :lol:
Team UnorthoDUX

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2454 on: April 17, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2455 on: April 17, 2013, 05:57:05 PM »
they have had a visitation from the Prince of Darkness, he has walked throught the valley of ignition and sparks aren't flying,that's all I know.

I heard it on the txt vine
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2456 on: April 17, 2013, 06:25:48 PM »
Hopefully Chris took some smoke with him.... I thought he eliminated the Lucas parts  :roll:

I guess no news is not good news
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2457 on: April 17, 2013, 07:41:08 PM »
It’ll all be fine – it just won’t be fine today . . .

First, a disclaimer:

NO LUCAS PARTS WERE INVOLVED IN THIS ABORTED ATTEMPT.  NO MIDGETS WERE HARMED DURING TODAY’S EVENTS, AND NO SMOKE WAS RELEASED FROM THE WIRES.

In preparation for today, the entire electrical system needed to be removed from the car.  There is no distributor – it’s an Electromotive crank trigger system. 

Contrary to previous posts by myself, no modifications to the system were involved, and to my great shame, I must add that the idea of a peizo-digital/analog converter was really rather stupid, and a path that I neither attempted, nor will pursue.  In fact, the ECU and ignition packs were simply removed from the car, and a new harness was purchased and installed on a test box for the sole purpose of this session.   

The problems that occurred were as follows –

The data cable from the computer to the ECU got warm.  I don’t think that’s supposed to happen, but it did not bode well for the rest of the attempt.  A careful testing of the ECU data port indicated 4 of the computer port pin-outs were showing 12 volts DC.  Again, I don’t KNOW, but I don’t THINK that’s supposed to be the case.

A call to electromotive indicated that they did not know why a data cable would get warm, but they did help me address an oversight on my part.  While I did have power going to the coil packs, I did NOT have power going to the ECU.  I had brought my soldering iron for just such an oversight, and repaired the problem.

Further investigation discovered that I had set up the multi pin plug to the coil packs for the wrong half of an 8 cylinder engine.  There are pins for two sets of coil packs for a V-8 installation, and I had set up the pins on the cabling to the ECU on the side of the nonexistent signals that the chip in the ECU may or may not have etched into its RAM.  The cabling was remedied with Don’s faithful and patient assistance.

Either through my error or through a faulty ECU, the unit would not fire up and blew fuses.

So tonight, I’ll tear into my half of the voodoo box, and prepare the Electromotive unit for shipping and testing.

Mark and Don were absolute champs.  While I stumbled with the electrical, along with Tom, the owner in assistance, they had the engine rolled up, bolted up, linkaged and plumbed by about 9:15.  That part of the plan went off without a hitch, due in large part to Mark’s design work, Don's intuitive mechanical ability, and “Wigglepin’s” excellent machine work.  Having done a dry run today, I expect it will go a little quicker next time.

So, that’s that.

Photos courtesy of Wisdonm –

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #2458 on: April 17, 2013, 07:54:28 PM »
DAG and double dag, well at least there were lessons learnt and no mechanical parts busted, endeavor to persevere....
Frank
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2459 on: April 17, 2013, 08:16:19 PM »
It’ll all be fine – it just won’t be fine today . . .

First, a disclaimer:

NO LUCAS PARTS WERE INVOLVED IN THIS ABORTED ATTEMPT.  NO MIDGETS WERE HARMED DURING TODAY’S EVENTS, AND NO SMOKE WAS RELEASED FROM THE WIRES.

In preparation for today, the entire electrical system needed to be removed from the car.  There is no distributor – it’s an Electromotive crank trigger system.  

Contrary to previous posts by myself, no modifications to the system were involved, and to my great shame, I must add that the idea of a peizo-digital/analog converter was really rather stupid, and a path that I neither attempted, nor will pursue.  In fact, the ECU and ignition packs were simply removed from the car, and a new harness was purchased and installed on a test box for the sole purpose of this session.  

The problems that occurred were as follows –

The data cable from the computer to the ECU got warm.  I don’t think that’s supposed to happen, but it did not bode well for the rest of the attempt.  A careful testing of the ECU data port indicated 4 of the computer port pin-outs were showing 12 volts DC.  Again, I don’t KNOW, but I don’t THINK that’s supposed to be the case.

A call to electromotive indicated that they did not know why a data cable would get warm, but they did help me address an oversight on my part.  While I did have power going to the coil packs, I did NOT have power going to the ECU.  I had brought my soldering iron for just such an oversight, and repaired the problem.

Further investigation discovered that I had set up the multi pin plug to the coil packs for the wrong half of an 8 cylinder engine.  There are pins for two sets of coil packs for a V-8 installation, and I had set up the pins on the cabling to the ECU on the side of the nonexistent signals that the chip in the ECU may or may not have etched into its RAM.  The cabling was remedied with Don’s faithful and patient assistance.

Either through my error or through a faulty ECU, the unit would not fire up and blew fuses.

So tonight, I’ll tear into my half of the voodoo box, and prepare the Electromotive unit for shipping and testing.

Mark and Don were absolute champs.  While I stumbled with the electrical, along with Tom, the owner in assistance, they had the engine rolled up, bolted up, linkaged and plumbed by about 9:15.  That part of the plan went off without a hitch, due in large part to Mark’s design work, Don's intuitive mechanical ability, and “Wigglepin’s” excellent machine work.  Having done a dry run today, I expect it will go a little quicker next time.

So, that’s that.

Photos courtesy of Wisdonm –

Protons, neutrons, electrons, quarks, leptons, bosons, photons, hadrons, baryons, mesons, pions, kaons, gravitons AND, probably a couple other particles I inadvertently left out.

I hate 'em all, necessary little bastids. . . . . . , some probably don't really exist, although I'll grant you that electrons DEFINITELY exist!!!   (Don't ask me how I know this. .)

Give me some aluminum stock, AutoCad, some machinery and some files, you know something. . . . . , TANGIBLE. . . .

Something I can see & use.   Like to hit the head of the underperforming left tackle of my football team, oh wait, can't do that anymore either. . . . . .

Guess I'll just grab another Leinie's. . . . . . . . . . , and do the MG dance. . . .    3 steps forward, 1 step backward, 3 steps forward, 1 step backward. . . . .

Hey!!   I think I can see white, verwy, verwy, verwy far away. . . . . . . . . .
Elmer (Electron) Fudd

65 psi oil pressure on the starter is a good thing, right?  RIGHT?  RIGHT?       (This happy face PMA crap is killin' me. . . . . , It's the suds keeping my head afloat. . . . . . . )
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:21:42 PM by fordboy628 »