Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3317445 times)

Offline Geo

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #2355 on: March 30, 2013, 09:59:54 PM »
Yep, error there somewhere. Perhaps I am not listening to Stan enough.  :-o

I'm with Buddy. Put me down for over!   :cheers:

Geo

Offline AJR192

« Reply #2356 on: March 30, 2013, 11:07:07 PM »
If it blows, we all owe chris a beer.......

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2357 on: March 30, 2013, 11:27:58 PM »

Let's see if I can get it that far . . .

Picked up a pail of C14 this morning for Wednesday, along with filters and oil. 

The progress is actually good, despite a pair of minor setbacks – one of which will require me finding a hardware store open on Easter Sunday . . .

The pilot bushing is done, and it fits perfectly – a couple of taps with the ol’ rubber hammer and bingo . . .

The drive adapter fits like some flatlander CUSTOM DESIGNED IT!  The problem is that the bolts I acquired for it are a smidgen too long – I thought the flywheel was tapped all the way through – not the case – so it’s off to whoever is open tomorrow.

I took my handy 4 ounce syringe and filled the oil galleries, poured some oil down through the lifters and finished the fill through the distributor hole.  I then loosened up the rockers, removed the plugs and gave it a crank with the drill.  Yeah, oil is flowing where it should be, so I went back to readjust the lifters and . . .  snap!  Now this was just one of those, “oh, for pity’s sake” moments . . .   

Fortunately, after the valve train tried to munch itself last September, I ordered up a complete set of adjusters, so I was able to dig out one of the spares, which for reasons completely out of character with my normal MO, were neatly tagged and bagged right where I had put them, and where I remembered I had put them. 

But how was I going to get it out without removing the rocker shaft, which is held in place with head studs?

Well, after watching Fordboy use his ultra slick valve spring compressor last year, I went on E-bay and hunted down one for myself.  With a little adjustment, I was able to compress the valve side of the rocker and not even have to remove the shaft . . .

The only thing better than having the right tool for the right job is having the wrong tool, but it works anyway.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2358 on: March 31, 2013, 08:58:20 AM »

Let's see if I can get it that far . . .

Picked up a pail of C14 this morning for Wednesday, along with filters and oil.    updates to dyno checklist recorded

The progress is actually good, despite a pair of minor setbacks – one of which will require me finding a hardware store open on Easter Sunday . . .      kind of like a monkey bite. . (sure hope that monkey doesn't have a virus. . .  :-o)

The pilot bushing is done, and it fits perfectly – a couple of taps with the ol’ rubber hammer and bingo . . .     nothin' quite as satisfying as thinkin' ahead. . . .

The drive adapter fits like some flatlander CUSTOM DESIGNED IT!    hmmm, that thinkin' ahead thing again. . . . .       The problem is that the bolts I acquired for it are a smidgen too long – I thought the flywheel was tapped all the way through – not the case – so it’s off to whoever is open tomorrow.

I took my handy 4 ounce syringe and filled the oil galleries, poured some oil down through the lifters and finished the fill through the distributor hole.  I then loosened up the rockers, removed the plugs and gave it a crank with the drill.  Yeah, oil is flowing where it should be, so I went back to readjust the lifters and . . .  snap!  Now this was just one of those, “oh, for pity’s sake” moments . . .    Yes, unforseen consequences from small items. . . . . 

Fortunately, after the valve train tried to munch itself last September, I ordered up a complete set of adjusters, so I was able to dig out one of the spares, which for reasons completely out of character with my normal MO, were neatly tagged and bagged right where I had put them, and where I remembered I had put them.       isn't it nice to have good luck for a change??

But how was I going to get it out without removing the rocker shaft, which is held in place with head studs?

Well, after watching Fordboy use his ultra slick valve spring compressor last year, I went on E-bay and hunted down one for myself.  With a little adjustment, I was able to compress the valve side of the rocker and not even have to remove the shaft . . .     clever boy, have you been hanging out with the smart kids again??

The only thing better than having the right tool for the right job is having the wrong tool, but it works anyway.      it's called creative development. . . . .     

Midget,

I have returned from the cheddar-less plains of the Illini.   Sorry for the mark-up of your post, still a slow and crappy typist.

I have updated the dyno checklist, adding on packing the additional valve adjustment screws to the dyno session, you know, just in case. . . .       Pack and bring along anything you might wish to have at hand. . . . .    Will post the final version of the checklist tonight/tomorrow, after any progress of today.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2359 on: March 31, 2013, 01:53:39 PM »
Midget,

I hate to make predictions, it is too easy to get bitten in the a**, by a monkey or crocodile. . . . . .      but, here goes. . . . . . .

I'd be satisfied by the dyno session if:

1/   It stays together,
2/   No additional problems are discovered,
3/   We get all the testing we want to do finished,
4/   The BMEP is 190 psi or better,
5/   The corrected TQ is 76 lb/ft or better,
6/   The corrected Bhp is 95 bhp or better.

I know this is a long list, but as usual, I'm thinking long term.
Fordboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2360 on: March 31, 2013, 02:10:46 PM »
Realistic goals can realistically be achieved.

And we're better prepared than most - thanks to your guidance and help.

We're on the same page, bro.

6/   The corrected Bhp is 95 bhp or better.

So we'll put you down as under.  :wink:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2361 on: March 31, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »
MM, don't bet to large with FB... you know the smart kids can figure out what to tell the dyno operator to use for correction factor to make the number anything he wants....  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2362 on: March 31, 2013, 02:32:36 PM »
True - it wouldn't be the first time I was outsmarted by the "Smart Kids".

But Fordboy hates dynos that cheat.

Besides, if he wants a beer, all he has to do is ask . . .

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
« Reply #2363 on: March 31, 2013, 02:38:41 PM »
Chris & FB
Remember to take pen & paper to document all your changes ( DAMHIK ) in case the post dyno session beverage clouds the brain  :cheers:

I'm on the just over FB and just under the 100 ( say a nice 98-99 corrected )
Best of luck

Neil
Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2364 on: March 31, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
QR, FB's one step ahead of you.  He's setting up spread sheets for each run with notes.

Expect a HUGE INFO DUMP on this build diary before next weekend.  :wink:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2365 on: March 31, 2013, 08:35:43 PM »
QR, FB's one step ahead of you.  He's setting up spread sheets for each run with notes.

Expect a HUGE INFO DUMP on this build diary before next weekend.  :wink:

Midget, et all,

Well, now the cat is out of the bag, so to speak.    My plan was to surprise all the followers of your build diary with an improptu "How to Dyno your Engine" session, using the dyno info, the relational database spreadsheets and some analysis.    Sort of a parable (fable??) consisting of:  This is where we started and this is how (and more importantly, why) we got to where we ended up.    The idea was to outline how good engineering coupled with good planning and project management could positively impact a task of this nature.    The naked and unvarnished truth, the emporer without clothes, as such.    Sort of a "Benefit from our knowledge or stupidity" whichever the case may be.    Hopefully more of the former and less or none of the latter.

Stainless,    MM is right about one thing, I have absolutely no respect for dyno guys who manipulate the output numbers.   I equate them to used car salesmen and Catholic Cardinals. . . . . . .         Based on the weather/temperature forcast for 4/3/13, I expect the correction factor to move the corrected numbers down slightly from observed numbers.

I was going to bring some suds myself in anticipation of a celebration. . . . .

It is a fairly large & steep hill to climb on Wednesday, but I'm ready.

Guys, I'm bringing my portable cauldron (laptop) on dyno day.    Good news can come hot off the presses. . . . . . .
Fordboy

Online saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #2366 on: March 31, 2013, 08:54:31 PM »
I like stingy dynos.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2367 on: March 31, 2013, 09:41:47 PM »
FB, unless you have a Solid State Hard Drive on your laptop be very careful about where you are operating it.  I found out that most spinning hard drives do not respond well to acoustic vibration.  Luckily it rarely kills it permanently, just locks it up a little, only had it blue screen one.   
Looking forward to your dyno info
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2368 on: March 31, 2013, 11:22:48 PM »

Midget, et all,

Well, now the cat is out of the bag, so to speak.    My plan was to surprise all the followers of your build diary with an improptu "How to Dyno your Engine" session, using the dyno info, the relational database spreadsheets and some analysis.    Sort of a parable (fable??) consisting of:  This is where we started and this is how (and more importantly, why) we got to where we ended up.    The idea was to outline how good engineering coupled with good planning and project management could positively impact a task of this nature.    The naked and unvarnished truth, the emporer without clothes, as such.    Sort of a "Benefit from our knowledge or stupidity" whichever the case may be.    Hopefully more of the former and less or none of the latter.

Sorry 'bout that - I guess I didn't know I was spoiling a surprise - although why ANYBODY would be surprised by reams of numbers at this point on this diary is a mystery to me.  :-D

I’ve set up the motor mounts so we can just bolt up - a couple of 3/8 or 5/16 bolts will get that done, and we won't have to drill anything on campus - but I am bringing along the drill, just in case.

Monday will require a quick trip to the hardware store to acquire one last pipe reducer for water, and 6 properly sized bolts for the drive adapter.

I found my collector pipe, but it turns out that it's 1 7/8" rather than 2", so I'll be doing a bit of a scramble on that.

I cut some washers in half to step the header/manifold bolts - should be able to get it all close enough.

The following is packed -

Tool box
Bungees for air box support
Spare spark plugs
Valve spring compressor, magnetic probe, extra valve spring shims, valve springs and forceps
Pipe expander
Torque wrench, wrenches, screw drivers, Allen wrenches, all my spare carby parts, fire extinguisher, extra studs and fasteners, extra manifold gaskets (2)
Colortune, timing light, feeler gauges, air adapter for spark plug hole to change out valve springs
Computer w/ spare power supply, spare battery and connection cable

Just a heads up - I can't find my 11mm combination wrench.    :|

Offline wisdonm

« Reply #2369 on: March 31, 2013, 11:36:07 PM »
I can't find my 11mm combination wrench.

I can cover that.
Stand on it....brakes only slow you down.

Has a checkered past.