Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3317899 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #2310 on: March 25, 2013, 05:20:02 PM »

I understand a videographer will be making his way up from the cheeseless plains of the snow covered southern hinterlands, so Wisdonm and Fordboy, clean, non-offensive T-shirts, please . . .

Boy, add nearly a year of age and all the fun just evaporates faster than Jamesons on a hot summer day. . . . . . . . . . . .

Since you've gone to the trouble of sending E-invitations, I'll attend in "Black Tie".

F/B
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline wisdonm

« Reply #2311 on: March 25, 2013, 05:49:25 PM »
Damn you guys. Now I have to get a new t-shirt.
Stand on it....brakes only slow you down.

Has a checkered past.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2312 on: March 25, 2013, 06:50:40 PM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2313 on: March 25, 2013, 11:12:18 PM »
Chris, have a couple similar to those that I wore under my flight suit...  If you need them for emergency overshirts for the boys, send me a PM and I'll mail them to you.  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2314 on: March 25, 2013, 11:35:44 PM »
I can just see the article in "GQ"  . . .

"Fast Forward Fashion for a Fine Dyno Experience".

Hell, I should talk - I'll consider myself lucky if I've got clean sox on the 3rd.

Well, this was a productive day.

I was able to confirm my last measurements at the dyno shop, and they have extra long ignition wires I can use, so I can set my ignition box close, but not too close.  This will be sans my digital analog conversion effort, which I've moved to the back burner - I have enough on my plate, and the ignition I have works fine.  

I dropped off a pilot bushing to be turned down at C&S, and Mel didn't run into the back room and hide from me.  He'll become more scarce when I pull the engine from the MGB, I'm certain.  

All but one of the coolant lines are in place - I need to stop and pick up a section of 9/16 heater hose and some clamps, and that will put that to rights.

Breather vents plumbed.

Fordboy, a question for you.  How much fuel do you think we'll need?  A 1/2 hour of run-in time and let's say a dozen pulls?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2315 on: March 26, 2013, 03:28:31 AM »
I can just see the article in "GQ"  . . .

"Fast Forward Fashion for a Fine Dyno Experience".            Ah, alliteration.   Your Achilles heel, so to speak. . . . . .

Hell, I should talk - I'll consider myself lucky if I've got clean sox on the 3rd.      I will have clean socks by design. . . . .

Well, this was a productive day.       Updates to dyno checklist recorded. . . . .

I was able to confirm my last measurements at the dyno shop, and they have extra long ignition wires I can use, so I can set my ignition box close, but not too close.  This will be sans my digital analog conversion effort, which I've moved to the back burner - I have enough on my plate, and the ignition I have works fine.    Thankfully. . . .  

I dropped off a pilot bushing to be turned down at C&S, and Mel didn't run into the back room and hide from me.  He'll become more scarce when I pull the engine from the MGB, I'm certain.       Updates to dyno checklist recorded. . . . .

All but one of the coolant lines are in place - I need to stop and pick up a section of 9/16 heater hose and some clamps, and that will put that to rights.       Updates to dyno checklist recorded. . . . .

Breather vents plumbed.      Updates to dyno checklist recorded. . . . .

Fordboy, a question for you.  How much fuel do you think we'll need?  A 1/2 hour of run-in time and let's say a dozen pulls?       See below. . . . .

Midget,

Let's presume:

1/    A resultant of .55/.60 BSFC       (this is about where you are going to end up, based on my previous experience.)

2/    A max of 15/16 pulls,  @ a max of 60 seconds elapsed time per pull   (probably will not take that long at 300 rpm/sec [10 seconds] or 100 rpm/sec [30 seconds]
       acceleration rate. . . .    based on an rpm spread of 5500 rpm to 8500 rpm for a net of 3000 rpm/acceleration rate.   Steady state step test may take slightly longer.)

3/    .5 hour of run time for break-in at say 1/2 throttle, so lets say approximately equals 1/4 hour @ full throttle    (over estimated. . . . .)

4/    Your fuel specific gravity of ??      (.700 to .740 would be the normal range for 110+ octane gasoline, but let's say 5.8lbs/gallon [.695 sg] to over estimate. . . . . )
       [.74 sg * 8.345 lbs = 6.175 lbs]    {VP Blue = .733 sg;  ERC A-19A = .699 sg}         http://www.smithtex.com/racing/fuelcomp.html

OK .    So a total of 1/2 hour full throttle run time * .60 BSFC * say a max of 100 bhp = 30 lbs of fuel consumed divided by 5.8 lbs/gal = 5.1724 gallons    [4.86 gal @ 6.175]

5 gallons minimum, because you don't want to run out in the middle of a pull. . . . . .     You might want to run in on race fuel they can supply, (only if it meets your engine's requirements. . . . ) to preserve your stuff for the full throttle pulls.   Or bring more than 5 gallons.

Will post an updated Dyno Checklist later this week when I have the carb linkage finished.    I think I can get a tux made in woodland camo in time for this schedule. . . . . :-D
 :cheers:
Fordboy

edit added website,  F/B
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 04:07:06 AM by fordboy628 »

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline wisdonm

« Reply #2316 on: March 26, 2013, 04:17:51 AM »
That's a whole tank of gas!
Stand on it....brakes only slow you down.

Has a checkered past.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2317 on: March 26, 2013, 08:55:23 AM »
That's a whole tank of gas!

Is there anywhere in Beerhaven where you can get Premium Leaded?    Or Aircraft Premium Leaded?     I'd be nervous about anything less than say 100/102 octane (R+M/2). You could carefully run-in at part throttle on those, before you shpank it.    But the little voice in the back of my head says it is probably not worth saving $5, or even $10, versus the value of the engine. . . . . . . . .

How well do you know the Easter Bunny?    You really don't want to lay an egg at this point. . . . . . . . . . .      False economy has a giant set of teeth. . . . . . . . .

Fordboy
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:58:34 AM by fordboy628 »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2318 on: March 26, 2013, 09:03:54 AM »
False economy has a giant set of teeth. . . . . . . . .

Fordboy

. . . . . . . . . . . . and that's the whole truth!

Pete

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2319 on: March 26, 2013, 09:18:28 AM »
False economy has a giant set of teeth. . . . . . . . .

Fordboy

. . . . . . . . . . . . and that's the whole truth!

Pete

Yeah!     Don't ask me how I know. . . . . .
F/B

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2320 on: March 26, 2013, 09:28:20 AM »
Midget,

I know you are concentrating on the engine.   But check out some of the brake drag reduction ideas on the tech thread for later on . . . . . . .
F/B

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2321 on: March 26, 2013, 09:28:56 AM »
Okay, that tells me what I need to know.

I've got some 114 left over from last year that's been well sealed - I'll go pick up another pail.

I have 2 gallons of VP C-14   SG .696    114 Motor Method

There would have been more left over, but the snow caught me with an empty tank of regular.  That was fun, following around a Toro dual stage with the ultra rarified oder of burnt racing fuel causing a mild headache.

At Bonneville, I think I'm looking at

ERC - A-19A  SG .699  117 Motor Method

I'll confirm that and try to find a VP product close.  We can do the run in on the old stuff.  

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2322 on: March 26, 2013, 09:35:51 AM »
Good Plan.

See, you're getting smarter already, even without the trick calculator. . . . . . .     :-D
F/B

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2323 on: March 26, 2013, 10:27:04 AM »
Required wear, no?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2324 on: March 26, 2013, 10:53:35 AM »
Required wear, no?

Dean, how long did you work in wardrobe at Warner Brothers? 

I think our L.A. fashion consultant has picked a winner!

A link?

Another one I'm looking at -

http://www.cafepress.com/mf/19344423/aseries-engine_tshirt?shop=Acmespeed