Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3300291 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #2220 on: March 07, 2013, 03:17:51 PM »
Okay -- I'll admit to what most think already -- I'm stupid.  I can think of a couple reasons why the gauge of the metal might be a factor, but can't pick one. What's it all about, Alfie?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Jon

« Reply #2221 on: March 07, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »
Had me thinking too Stan, OD- (wall thickness x 2) = ID.
It must be a Leyland thing to not just measure the ID ;).

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline wisdonm

« Reply #2222 on: March 07, 2013, 03:55:48 PM »
You usually can't measure the ID of a header pipe. You usually have access to only one end, and that end is usually swagged to a flange. Therefore the ID can not be measured accurately.      :cheers:
Stand on it....brakes only slow you down.

Has a checkered past.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2223 on: March 07, 2013, 04:05:33 PM »
Spot on, guys, although to be certain, I'm throwing in the Mitre size, the Van Halen tickets and the pony for good measure.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2224 on: March 07, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »
Okay -- I'll admit to what most think already -- I'm stupid.  I can think of a couple reasons why the gauge of the metal might be a factor, but can't pick one. What's it all about, Alfie?

It's not a stupid question if you learn something from the answer.   For a given O.D. (how tubing is sold & referenced) gauge (wall thickness) changes the I.D. and therefore the area in square inches.   Internal area in inches^2 is what is important.   See below.

Had me thinking too Stan, OD- (wall thickness x 2) = ID.
It must be a Leyland thing to not just measure the ID ;).

jon

Nah, not a Leyland thing.   It's just difficult to accurately measure I.D. on a set of used headers with bends near the open ends.   See also below.

You usually can't measure the ID of a header pipe. You usually have access to only one end, and that end is usually swagged to a flange. Therefore the ID can not be measured accurately.      :cheers:

Yes.   The distortion at the ends near the bends makes an accurate measurement difficult.   It's easier to measure the O.D. with a dial caliper on a straight section.   Then measure the wall thickness with the same dial caliper & Abracadabra, accurate I.D.

Small engines are very sensitive to exhaust pipe sizes, hence the quest for accuracy, truth, justice and the American Way. . . . . . :roll:

Plus, I make no secret of the fact I'm basically lazy, but obsessive about accuracy, spreadsheets & databases. . . . . .   Bad combination, I know.   I blame my mom, and my shrink agrees, most of the time. . . . . . . :cry:
 :cheers:
Myrddin Emrys Frankenpolish
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2225 on: March 07, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
Okay, numbers –

Tickets to Van Halen are $279.00 Australian Dollars – the Show is at ANZ Stadium, conversion rate – 286.62 as of 9:16 PM CST.  It conflicts with Dark Lord Day at Three Floyds, so that’s one favor we won’t have to bother Rob or Graham about . . .

Pony (Connemara, NOT a Shetland as stated by the seller on E-bay – negative feedback left, thankyouverymuch, horsetrader318) is 13 hands high, but has a nasty disposition, and my feet drag when I try to ride him.  Not an option for this year, but I might be able to cut my losses – a broker from IKEA offered me $37.50 per hundred weight on the hoof.

As to the size of the Papal Mitre, I e-mailed Timothy Dolan, but I got an automated response saying he was out of the office.

The 3-into1 header measured as follows –
Tube INSIDE diameter (all)            1.250”
Center length                         11”
Outside lengths               12 ½”
Collector length – end of tubes to end of collector   3 5/8”
Collector diameter OD            2”

The Long Center Branch header (LCB) measures as follows –
Center branch  OD               1.56”
Outside branches OD            1.375”
Center overall length            23”
Outside overall length – flange to end         26”

The outside pipes join together at 10” from the header flange.

They are welded together, and sub-collect into a 1.56” pipe, which continues for another 10 ½”.

There is no collector on this header.

Additional information -

My beer refrigerator maintains a constant temperature of 40 degrees Fahrenheit, but is only 12 cubic ft., and is not a frost free model.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:59:05 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2226 on: March 07, 2013, 11:04:36 PM »
That might be too cold for some of the more flavorful dark beers.... take them out for a while before drinking  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Andy Cooke

« Reply #2227 on: March 08, 2013, 02:37:18 AM »
That might be too cold for some of the more flavorful dark beers.... take them out for a while before drinking  :cheers:

indeed http://www.camra.org.uk/beerinthepub

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2228 on: March 08, 2013, 04:29:34 AM »

Absodamnlutely!        My experience & preference:    lighter, 38/44 degrees F                   darker, 50/55 degrees F

indeed http://www.camra.org.uk/beerinthepub

Thanks for the link!   It explains the temperature reasoning.
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2229 on: March 08, 2013, 05:08:58 AM »

Okay, numbers –

Grasshopper,

Thank you kindly for the information, I can only hope and pray that your shower routine and schedule were unaffected.

In return, some useful ideas for you and your thread followers is attached.    MEF's Spreadsheet is in relational database format, all pre-programmed.    Keypunch in the Cor TQ values, add dead man's toe and eye of newt (Gingrich), and it spits out:  real magic. . . .      Relational functions can be changed with the wave of a wand/cursor/finger.     (ie: changing stroke value changes all outputs related to stroke value, say piston acceleration. . . . .    I told you I was lazy. . . . )    Willing to discuss output functions at a later time.     Will be bringing my portable cauldron to the dyno day. . . . .

Also: MEF's Spreadsheet is attached as a PDF, so sheet is "frozen".

Back to my "frankencauldron". . . . . .    (& kegerator. . . . .)
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #2230 on: March 08, 2013, 06:29:03 AM »
Tickets to Van Halen are $279.00 Australian Dollars – the Show is at ANZ Stadium, conversion rate – 286.62 as of 9:16 PM CST.  It conflicts with Dark Lord Day at Three Floyds, so that’s one favor we won’t have to bother Rob or Graham about . . .

Pony (Connemara, NOT a Shetland as stated by the seller on E-bay – negative feedback left, thankyouverymuch, horsetrader318) is 13 hands high, but has a nasty disposition, and my feet drag when I try to ride him.  Not an option for this year, but I might be able to cut my losses – a broker from IKEA offered me $37.50 per hundred weight on the hoof.

As to the size of the Papal Mitre, I e-mailed Timothy Dolan, but I got an automated response saying he was out of the office.

Chris, every one of your posts is an education!  :? Google leaps to my rescue, I didn't even know Van Halen were over here, I now know who the ex archbishop of Milwaukee is and I'm a bit worried for the pony!  :-o

Maybe I'm not drinking enough beer! Our local festival: http://www.newcastlecraftbeerweek.com/brewers/

Maybe these guy's have a gasser delivery truck: http://stoneandwood.com.au/

This I can vouch for: http://www.thelittlebrewingcompany.com.au/OurBeer/WickedElfBeers/Porter/tabid/126/Default.aspx

Yum!   :cheers: More hand luggage??  :-D

Offline Tman

« Reply #2231 on: March 08, 2013, 10:22:11 AM »
MMMMMMM, Three Floyds!

I myself have some Schell's Schmalt's Alt, a seasonal from New Ulm MN.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2232 on: March 08, 2013, 10:39:12 AM »
Ok beer fans! Now that you have that 52.37794 degree beer . . .

Pass me a beer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b8W1tFFs3M
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2233 on: March 08, 2013, 11:10:09 AM »
Midget,

Updates to Dyno Checklist.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2234 on: March 10, 2013, 11:06:55 PM »
Of course, the answer was “no”.

That was the answer when I asked the folks at the dyno shop if they had an air flow meter that would work on a Weber DCOE.  I thought it gracious that they were able to control their laughter.  SO . . . I’m giving a shot at making one that can be attached to their 5” air meter . . .

It’s air tight when taped, ugly and hopefully functional.  We’ll need to support it from above, which should work as they have a hoist apparatus from which I can hang cables/bungees/kite string to.

This is information I’d really like to get, because it will make tuning for Bonneville a much more exact science than just switching out jets and hoping for the best. 

622 cubic inches is the volume of the plenum, but Fordboy pointed out that one needs to be careful with adapters like this, in that you don’t want to tune to the plenum.

Picked up the ½” plate to build the drive plate from – it’s on its way to the land of taupe subdivisions, just south of the cheddar curtain.  Actually, Fordboy’s house isn’t taupe, it’s blue, and stands in rigid defiance of the status quo which defines most of Lake County.  Go, Fordboy, you rebellious, non-conforming heretic.

Also picked up the longer flywheel bolts to attach the drive adapter and bought a throttle cable.

Of course, I couldn’t simply check things off of the list – added were –
Secure vibration dampener
Pick up 2 oil filters
Set up ignition box for out-of-body experience . . .

I'm pretty certain this list will get longer before it gets shorter.