Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3300500 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #2190 on: February 28, 2013, 09:12:53 AM »
That's the one - I think it uses a tensioner similar to the MGB, and it is an "improvement" - without doubt.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #2191 on: February 28, 2013, 05:44:07 PM »
That's the one - I think it uses a tensioner similar to the MGB, and it is an "improvement" - without doubt.

Will be bringing that set up with me to Bonneville in my hand luggage!  :-D

Or can send sooner if you wish!

Graham

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2192 on: February 28, 2013, 11:49:01 PM »

Will be bringing that set up with me to Bonneville in my hand luggage!  :-D

Or can send sooner if you wish!

Graham

I'd be happy to get my hands on one, but I THINK there's a difference between a Mini front plate and a Midget plate.  The one that fits the Marina will fit, because it has the motor mount tabs on it . . .

Graham, if this is what you have, and you're coming to Speedweek, I'll take it, and I'll buy you dinner.  :cheers:

Thanks!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2193 on: March 01, 2013, 11:01:55 AM »
Midget,

Thanks for the visit!   Hobgoblin was good, sorry the Lakeshore Lager was a bust. . .    Well, batting .500, need to do a better selection process.
1 :cheers: out of 2,
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2194 on: March 01, 2013, 05:54:43 PM »
Well, it's not the engine that's in question, it's the head. 

The MOWOG 8 port casting is a race part intended for the A-block and if I'm not mistaken, was granted homologation status with FIA for use in Minis, but was never sold in a car, nor even attached to an engine which came from the factory.

Seeing as I have NOT done an engine swap, it's my reading of the rule that the restriction regarding port configuration in production, the overarching rule category in which GT falls into, prevails.

Now maybe I'm letting the rules have too much influence over my otherwise contrarian existence, and I'll drop an e-mail tonight to the rules folks, but I'm thinking that this is a no-go.

I want to eventually DO an engine swap, and I'll be looking at the MG Rover K-series engine with DOHC's, which, as you point out, is clearly legal in GT.  In fact, I think a solid argument could be made for a Coventry Climax engine in this - Jaguar bought Coventry in the early '60's, and they merged with BMC a little later.

There is potential for some interesting options in this thing, and while I'll check out all of those options, for the time being, I'm content to see what this Formula 2 spec A series will pump out.

And Stainless, the first round's on me.  :cheers:

Midget,

I was pretty sure I wasn't nuts. . . .       screw loose, perhaps. . . .       unique viewpoint, definitely.    For your perusing pleasure. . . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_K_engine

Variants include:
1100  (1120cc)
DOHC K16 16-valve, MPI, 75 hp (55 kW)

1400  (1396cc)
DOHC K16 16-valve, SPI, 90 hp (66 kW)
DOHC K16 16-valve, MPI, 82 hp (61 kW)
DOHC K16 16-valve, MPI, 103 hp (76 kW)

1600  (1588cc)
DOHC K16 16-valve, MPI, 109 hp (80 kW)
DOHC K16 16-valve, MPI, 111 hp (82 kW)

1800  (1795cc)
DOHC K16 16-valve, MPI, 117 to 120 hp (86 to 88 kW)
DOHC K16 16-valve, MPI, 136 hp (100 kW)
DOHC K16 16-valve, MPI, VVC, 145 hp (107 kW)
DOHC K16 16-valve, MPI, VVC, 160 hp (118 kW)
DOHC K16 16-valve, MPI, turbocharged, 150 to 160 hp (110 to 118 kW)
DOHC K16 VHPD - Very High Performance Derivative 16-valve, MPI, 177 hp (130 kW) or 192 hp (142 kW) (Lotus version) (Uses VVC unique cylinder head casting (similar to VVC casting), has big valves, but with fixed cam timing - No development input was requested from Rover)
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Andy Cooke

« Reply #2195 on: March 03, 2013, 05:21:08 AM »
I can understand why a K series would be attractive engine to modernise a midget, but I'm a bit suspect about racing one, it might be worth delving deeper into the Rover/MG/Honda catalogue before making that decision.  Are you looking for a certain capacity?  Would the 4.6L Cobra engine fit  :evil:

btw, can you get this over there?

http://www.theakstons.co.uk/Ales/Old-Peculier/
or
http://siba.co.uk/2011/11/hook-norton%E2%80%99s-double-stout-the-best-in-europe/

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2196 on: March 03, 2013, 07:10:44 AM »
I can understand why a K series would be attractive engine to modernise a midget, but I'm a bit suspect about racing one, it might be worth delving deeper into the Rover/MG/Honda catalogue before making that decision.  Are you looking for a certain capacity?  Would the 4.6L Cobra engine fit  :evil:

btw, can you get this over there?

http://www.theakstons.co.uk/Ales/Old-Peculier/
or
http://siba.co.uk/2011/11/hook-norton%E2%80%99s-double-stout-the-best-in-europe/

Did a quick ratebeer.com search:

Theakston's Old Peculier is supposed to be "generally available" bottled and in casks.   That means: large cities & specialty brewpubs, OR, large cities & specialty liquor stores specializing in European imported beers.    Very highly rated (95 OF 100) in it's category.   Will have to give it a go.   Will report back.

Hook-Norton's Double Stout was not found & not rated, most likely NOT AVAILABLE here in the US.  Too bad, sounds like a winner to me.

The K series engines appear to have some issues, as do all engines.   The trick, as always, is to pick engine types based on the "best potential" for power production, coupled with the fewest number of engineering "flaws".   AND, somehow determining & eliminating ahead of time, those engine types with "flaws" that are "fatal" at racing output levels. . . .

Sure sounds easy, doesn't it?

At this point I don't know enough about the K series to either recommend or condemn them.
Fordboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2197 on: March 03, 2013, 01:26:50 PM »
Well, it wouldn't be the first K-series on the salt -

Terry Kilbourne drove this "time only" entry in '97.  1.5 liter, turbo, 330 hp on gas -

Granted, the resources of Rover were brought to the table, but I think a NA 1 liter could be chiseled out of the 1400 dohc and be competitive.

Either way, this is over the horizon.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2198 on: March 03, 2013, 03:24:04 PM »
Did a quick ratebeer.com search:

Hook-Norton's Double Stout was not found & not rated, most likely NOT AVAILABLE here in the US.  Too bad, sounds like a winner to me.

Sure sounds easy, doesn't it?

Fordboy

Whoops!   Did a further and more thorough search on ratebeer.com and it popped up.   Availability should be the same as the Old Peculier. Have to give it a go.   Will report back after sampling.
Fordboy

Offline Tman

« Reply #2199 on: March 04, 2013, 04:59:15 PM »
You guys get to try any of the Crow Peak yet?!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2200 on: March 04, 2013, 07:20:21 PM »
You guys get to try any of the Crow Peak yet?!

Trent -

First off, THANK YOU for the "assembly lube".  It has been buried toward the back of the "Norge of Varietals", and I have reserved one each of the Canyon Cream Ale (top notch), 11th hour IPA (which I'm saving for an appropriate 'thrash"), and the Pile-O-Dirt - a first division Porter - for Fordboy.  If I had had my ducks in a row, they would have already run the gauntlet of the Cheddar Curtain.  Alas, my forgetful nature deprived my MATHCAR mentor of what are 3 delightful Black Hills brews, for which I must make amends.

This stuff is intended to be shared, and the two I've had are delightful.

Thanks again!

Chris
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:17:03 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2201 on: March 04, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »
Working for the red queen at the moment.   Kitchen appliance repairs. . . . .

Can recommend Tyranena Brewing Co's "Chief Blackhawk Porter"

Gotta go,
 :cheers:
F/B

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2202 on: March 05, 2013, 11:41:53 PM »
My latest column is up - some observations on the British car community.  Some say it's dying - I say it ain't.

http://www.mossmotoring.com/a-bright-road-ahead/

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2203 on: March 06, 2013, 06:38:38 AM »
Another winning article Chris. You do have a knack for writing.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2204 on: March 06, 2013, 06:49:26 AM »
Midget,

Got a call from Northern Illinois Mini Maven yesterday afternoon.    He has dug out a set of Winner's Circle small tube 3 into 1 mini headers.   (Sorry, no photos)   #'s 1 & 4 are 1.375" dia, and #2/3 is 1.50" dia, length unmeasured.    These are available for the dyno session if you wish, and he probably won't want your firstborn in exchange. . . . .

Also:  I had already spoken to Winner's Circle about 3 into 1 headers.    They are no longer in production.   According to Rob, demand ceased with the end of competitive Spridget racing in SCCA classes.   The only current offerings are LCB types, mostly by Maniflow in the UK, the same as most other suppliers.   According to Rob, most Spridget racers are now running in Vintage, where they are running "soft" 1275 race engines with a "wide" torque band and less top end bhp, in a quest for reliability. . . . .      Perhaps there are some sets available used?    If, in fact, 3 into 1 performs the best on the dyno.

Have also located Al Varacins, through the Mini Maven.    Turns out he resurfaced in Wilmot, WI.    And he still makes very nice custom headers, according to M/M.   But this is getting too far ahead.

Any luck on the MGB flywheel?

Dyno day work list/priority list to follow in short order.

And finally, picked up some Shock Top seasonal brew yesterday.   Honeycrisp Apple Wheat.   Tasted akin to the Hive Initiative Honey Mead, very sweet with a pleasant after taste.   Almost overwhelming Honeycrisp Apple flavoring, Jr is in heaven with the taste.   I would find it refreshing on a hot summer day.    It would also appeal to someone who doesn't like the "taste" of beer, or wants an alternative to something full bodied.    I give it an 80 out of 100 for the style and had 2. . . . .
 :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy