Author Topic: UTAH ALLIANCE  (Read 135445 times)

velocity

Re: UTAH ALLIANCE
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2015, 01:25:37 AM »
Gentlemen, I have read the comments, but wonder where what we are to glean from any of them to move the conversation forward about reclamation? There are numerous, mulit-page documents that are associated with the mining leases, mining plan, EIS and EA"s. This single EA  link is a not the full picture. Members of the Utah Alliance have been obtaining, reading, discussing and formulating a position statement that is intended to provide short- and long-term corrective actions based on hard science, engineering and racing observation and experiences. 

I respectfully ask you avail yourselves of the many documents and images posted on www.save-the-salt.org before posting kneejerk commentary that helps nothing. None of you are "up to speed." the Alliance members are working many hours DAILY trying to achieve a level of good, solid knowledge so that we might effect serious, positive change.

We have one good shot at this with all the stakeholders and we need all of you to unify, to move towards a solidarity for the salt if for nothing else.

We MUST attack the the problem, NOT each other.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2015, 04:18:53 AM »
Where did the word Band Wagon originate?.
I'm from Africa but I have a keen sense of smell. :evil:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2015, 10:05:53 AM »
Maybe I read all this wrong.... I guess I missed the knee-jerks and the attacks on each other so far in the thread.  Unless you consider Intrepid part of "us".... I would say they are a major stakeholder... but their goals and ours are quite different.  I find it hard to imagine that anyone would think that removing and selling millions of tons of salt from the salt flats every year is not affecting the surface. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2015, 10:08:26 AM »
In a thread a few months back, there was mention of the Mesa Exploration Bounty Potash Project.  The map in the video indicates it would be north and west of where we race.

If this goes through, and provided legal, geodynamic and environmental hurdles could be overcome, I would investigate compelling Mesa to locate and maintain a pumping operation that would return their waste salt to the area of the Speedway.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2015, 10:14:53 AM »
Please Guys......   patience

thanks Louise.... for ALL your Work

AND all the work of the others in the Utah Alliance

if there is anything I can do call me

Bob Dalton   408 206 7050
Flashpoint Liner

Let us push together, FORWARD....   and not push each other, apart..

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2015, 10:28:14 AM »
The best "researchers, engineers, hydrologists and scientists" money can buy are trying to convince us that 15 FEET of salt disappeared into thin air. I may be stupid (I race)but I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night and by physic's laws that isn't possible.
According to one report the salt is soaking down into the lower layers. AMAZING, It lays there for 15000 years then decides to sink in just the last 80 years. Give me a break.
The Utah Alliance says they need scientific data. I must be a really good scientist because I can stand on the railroad tracks and face North and say "yup it's gone", then turn 180 degrees and say "whoops, there it is, problem solved"

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline RogerL

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2015, 10:57:53 AM »
I would like to encourage those of you that want to learn more about the circumstances regarding the BSF condition to go to the Alliances website, www.save-the-salt.org. Click on the documents page and start reading the referenced docs. We will be posting more as time goes on so you might want to check back occasionally.

I also suggest you take a look at the ‘take action” page. There you will find a draft letter/email/phone call talking points document to be used in expressing concern for the BSF to your elected representatives. We have been in regular contact with the Governors offices of Utah and Nevada, Senators, Representatives and a number of Utah state officials. It is part of our strategy to get the support of these elected leaders.  You can help by taking action.

The website is still in development and will continue to evolve over the next few months. We expect to post regular up dates, add documents, post pictures and videos and suggest future action where the racers and other stakeholders can help.

The intent website to be a resource for anyone wanting more information on the BSF without having to go to multiple sites and libraries. Also on the website is identification of the Alliance leadership and partners. It ain’t perfect, but it’s our best shot it improving the knowledge base and transparency.

velocity

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2015, 01:26:07 PM »
Please provide documentation that reports 15 feet of measured salt crust. This is a fictional number.

We are fully aware of the salt transfer to the south side of Interstate 80. Unfortunately, a great deal of "processed" salt has hardened into a jack-hammer hard concrete state in the ponds. This is NOT easy to put back into solution and pump back across the freeway.

I share this as only ONE of many points the Utah Alliance is exploring with Intrepid. And YES, they are now helping. We need their expertise in solar evaporation processes to find workable solutions to restore the salt racing crust.

This is not a one-shot fix program. It took decades to decimate and we are attempting to accelerate restorative measures. Be clear about that.   

Offline jl222

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2015, 01:41:01 PM »
Gentlemen, I have read the comments, but wonder where what we are to glean from any of them to move the conversation forward about reclamation? There are numerous, mulit-page documents that are associated with the mining leases, mining plan, EIS and EA"s. This single EA  link is a not the full picture. Members of the Utah Alliance have been obtaining, reading, discussing and formulating a position statement that is intended to provide short- and long-term corrective actions based on hard science, engineering and racing observation and experiences.  

I respectfully ask you avail yourselves of the many documents and images posted on www.save-the-salt.org before posting kneejerk commentary that helps nothing. None of you are "up to speed." the Alliance members are working many hours DAILY trying to achieve a level of good, solid knowledge so that we might effect serious, positive change.

We have one good shot at this with all the stakeholders and we need all of you to unify, to move towards a solidarity for the salt if for nothing else.

We MUST attack the the problem, NOT each other.

The only attacks I see is you on us.

Velocity...How up to speed are you? How much does a cubic yard of salt weigh and what is the area in sq ft at 2 in thick will
it cover?

DON'T try to turn the attacks around after your comment's about our post being on'' mind altering drugs'', then you insult us
saying we have kneejerk commentary and none of us are up  to speed, AND then you ask for unity?

Exactly what post are you talking about?

JL222

The pot calling the kettle black

PS time is 12:37 pm sat 9/19/15 and Velocity was online.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 01:53:01 PM by jl222 »

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2015, 02:16:32 PM »
Louise
I went to the high end of the statement on the web site of 12 to 15 feet thick. After all the scientists are going to the low end by saying there is "NO" change 
The 12 to 15 feet is stated as such in 1914 on the chronological time line prepared by STS, on "The Utah Alliance to save the salt" web page. Ask them for documentation.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline jdincau

Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2015, 02:57:31 PM »
http://www.landspeedproductions.biz/timeline-for-bonneville-salt-flats-racing-mining-science-legislation.html

scroll down to 1914

Wow there it is I found it maybe in 1914 their measuring device was not scientific enough just saying.  :-o
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2015, 03:15:36 PM »
Louise,
  My statement of Intrepid's contractual obligations was solely in reference to the EA's Reclamation Plan.
I regret that I did not fully document the statement. I am reading thru the wealth of documentation on the Alliance website.
  Your assert that none of us is "up to speed." This implies that you have further information. I will understand if you have entered into a non-disclosure agreement and cannot share the additional information. If not, could you elaborate on additional Reclamation requirements made of Intrepid?

As to "knee-jerk reaction"; did you read the rest of my post regarding moving the Salt back? You may note that it does not involve use of the shallow brine aquifer or pumping. I contend the aquifer's best use is to provide the water needed to reform the crust by evaporation. Intrepid's example of jack-hammer hard concrete state was formed by evaporation. I think this is the method and result we should aspire to.

In closing, I wish to express my gratitude for your efforts.
Thank you.
Respectfully,
Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

velocity

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2015, 04:54:26 PM »
Boys, with and without thin skin, the quote comes from railroad newspaper report not backed with any science. Understand that Jinx Vesco, Stuart Gosswein and I researched and wrote the very document you use to now berate us with.

To wit:

Chicago: “The Railway Age Gazette” pronounces “this natural racing-track is a level bed of salt, 98 % pure…
The salt-beds are 65 miles long and 8 miles wide. The estimated depth, in the middle, is 12 - 15 feet.”

velocity

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2015, 05:28:29 PM »
Sam

Fundamentally, none of us are "up to speed" but each of us (mainly Roger Lessman, Jinx and Rick Vesco, Tom Burkland, Russ Eyres and myself)  have acquired an enormous knowledge base in various segments. We are STILL researching and acquiring details, facts, science and details and then sharing them with among our group to educate each other to develop a stronger "racer face" that decision makers will respect and rally behind. None of us are the least bit interested in personal attacks.

EACH new fact comes ONLY after hours of reading and comparing and conversation and fact-checking. Not to the level of Sigma 5 confidence, but enough to stand up to serious public scrutiny from  the legislative and judicial branches of our government.

If you have something that will help, send it to us. Share images and documentation - that is where our negotiating strength is built upon.

As to the aquifers, know this: yesterday, with the help of the Utah Department of Natural Resources, I spent 7 hours researching all of Intrepid's Wendover water rights, maps, wells, flow rates, width's, depths locations, activity, blah, blah blah. I have facts, but need to plug said facts into context before I say anything. By the way, ANYONE can go do this, it is all online.   

This much I AM SURE OF, there will be no more records, no red, blue, or black hats if we fail.