Author Topic: UTAH ALLIANCE  (Read 135116 times)

velocity

Re: UTAH ALLIANCE
« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2016, 04:13:54 AM »
The download link for the Position Paper stopped working for some reason.

It has been repaired. Please be aware it is a 12.3 MB download

http://www.save-the-salt.org/

Our apologies for the delay.

velocity

« Reply #196 on: May 21, 2016, 05:22:26 PM »
The link below is a companion piece to Emma Penrod’s recent reports in the Salt Lake City Tribune.

We find the writer to be woefully ignorant of the situation and will be submitting a rebuttal. Interested parties might consider posting comments of their own.

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/3915182-155/editorial-racers-can-wait-while-salt

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #197 on: May 22, 2016, 10:54:45 AM »
The link below is a companion piece to Emma Penrod’s recent reports in the Salt Lake City Tribune.

We find the writer to be woefully ignorant of the situation and will be submitting a rebuttal. Interested parties might consider posting comments of their own.

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/3915182-155/editorial-racers-can-wait-while-salt

"Woefully ignorant" is kind.   This is exactly what happened when the "Trout Wars" began with the BLM back in the 80's . . . . . .    Obfuscation and the "demand" for "more study".   This will give whoever, UNIMPEDED access to continue to "extract" the resource, without significant financial return to the taxpayer.   As in the Northwest, it will eventually be made public that the fees paid to the BLM for the "right to extract", do not even cover the administrative costs at the BLM.

Some things NEVER change.

Well, except the amount of salt on the flats . . . . . .
 :cry:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

velocity

« Reply #198 on: May 25, 2016, 08:08:03 PM »
May 24, 2016 News article

Hemmings Daily

Bonneville racers accuse BLM of dragging its feet after plans for further salt flats study

Read at:

http://www.save-the-salt.org/news/
or
http://www.savethesalt.org/

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #199 on: May 26, 2016, 09:00:37 AM »
"...accelerate the salt laydown effort,...."

It's running lean? FLOOR IT!

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

velocity

« Reply #200 on: June 01, 2016, 06:09:01 PM »
Interested parties will be able to download Dr. Brenda Bowen's presentation at the May 17th Bonneville Summit at the University of Utah's Natural History Museum using the link below

http://www.save-the-salt.org/new-page-2/

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #201 on: June 02, 2016, 08:46:26 AM »
What a wonderful presentation!
Dr. Bowen will certainly earn her wages as an expert witness to the end of the Bonneville Salt Flats.

From page 80;

Salt   laydown   began   in   1998   
• Cycling   NaCl   and   KCl   through   harvest   –   laydown      
• Net   deposiRon   of   >5   million   tons   of   NaCl   to   system   since   1998   
• Predicted   2”   increase   in   salt   crust,   but   none   observed

Intrepid should be proud.
Money well spent.

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Robin UK

« Reply #202 on: June 02, 2016, 12:33:40 PM »
Ok - I'm just the dumb Brit around here so I'll stick my head above the parapet. I've been on the receiving end of many hi tech research and development presentations over the years from people either seeking business support for their ideas or with the results of studies explaining what went wrong or what is about to go spectacularly wrong. Most were from people bright enough to make your head hurt and often involved serious financial, security or operational risk to large global corporations. I do hope that there is a one page executive summary or something very similar to go with these slides because without it, they are neither use nor ornament to anybody other than those involved in the study. They certainly look pleased with themselves in the pics. To be honest, if somebody had come to me with a set of slides like these they'd be out of the door in 5 minutes with a request to come back when they can explain things more clearly, more succinctly and in a more structured way. One of the simplest tests you can ever apply to any complex issue being presented to you is - "which means that?" I found myself asking that question after every slide (sometimes every line) as well as at the end of the overall presentation. I'm still unsure if it adds anything at all to the debate other than to prove to other academics how clever those involved in this study are. A sort of geological one-upmanship. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh because I'm sure they are all nice people who enjoy their work but this just the sort of stuff either promoted by or seized on by those wanting to maintain the status quo or protect their own backsides.

Robin

Offline half-fast racer

• New folks
« Reply #203 on: June 02, 2016, 01:01:01 PM »
Well said and spot on.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #204 on: June 02, 2016, 02:11:55 PM »
Ok - I'm just the dumb Brit around here so I'll stick my head above the parapet. ... I'm still unsure if it adds anything at all to the debate other than to prove to other academics how clever those involved in this study are. A sort of geological one-upmanship. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh because I'm sure they are all nice people who enjoy their work but this just the sort of stuff either promoted by or seized on by those wanting to maintain the status quo or protect their own backsides.
Robin

I will be the second dumb Brit, Robin.  As a standalone document it is of no use without hearing the words spoken by the Author. I edited your words to a shortened 'quote' above and that removes much of their heartfelt meaning.  However I can smell 'bull***t' when I get near it and few of the slides would appear to me to have been of any use during a presentation - too complex, too detailed. How long would each of the 87 have been on screen?

What is needed is some plain American English and as some others have already suggested some simple maths.

PS Whoever predicted a 'growth' in the salt 'crust' of two inches?       
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #205 on: June 02, 2016, 02:17:40 PM »
Surely the PowerPoint presentation was done by one of Dr. Brenda's undergrunts as it is certainly not PhD level quality nor content. :roll:

In short, the white washing buckets doth run over.............. :dhorse:

Even a nimrod can see that there is less good old crusty NaCl on the surface and logic would further indicate that the only way to gain any crust back is to lay down SALT which is currently south of the highway. And that stuff belongs back on the north side of the highway from whence it came! :-o

Describing a salt laydown project that is pumping a gazillion gallons of brine water is not logical at all. :-P

Halides on top!  Poor presentations such as the one offered is a smack in the face of logic even though it gives Dr. Brenda some undergrunts to manipulate.

Regards to All,
HB2 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #206 on: June 02, 2016, 09:44:54 PM »
On page 12, titled "Sedimentary  layers  record  change  over  time", it indicates that in 1962 the salt crust (I assume this is the "Dense Cemented Halite (DCH)" but the terminology is not consistent in this presentation.) was 3 1/2 feet thick!

Later on page 29 it states that "In  Oct  2013:  No  upper halite  crust  over  ~10 cm  in  thickness observed"---- I didn't see any explanation for what happened to the salt crust, i.e. where it went.

This presentation presented far too much "padding" and only a little that is actually helpful. I am reminded of the old expression "If you can't dazzle them with footwork, baffle them with bull$hit".

Disappointing...  :-(

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #207 on: June 03, 2016, 07:08:15 AM »
Agree with all the above statements . . . . . .

Same old BLM, same old BS, only the names and the faces of the participants are different . . . . . .

Same old, same old . . . .       Told Ya . . . . .

The OPERATIVE QUESTION, Where did 3.5 feet of Halite thickness go to?    remains unaddressed by the powers that be.

And that is just the way they want it to stay . . . . . .  until EVERYTHING of value is EXTRACTED.
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Robert Rampton

• New folks
« Reply #208 on: June 03, 2016, 09:04:28 AM »
ALL - Please note the frames released do not have the in-depth commentary provided by Dr. Bowen. All in the room were very impressed by her explains of the science side - there were not conclusions, simply a statement those areas currently under study - several of which were added because of input from the racing community.

I concur that the frames are not self-explanatory and were never meant to be so. The entire point here is to share data and info.

Thanks to some private tutoring time, I can explain all up to page 25, with more tutoring coming until I get the whole doc sorted. Dr. Bowen has been NOTHING but cooperative with the Utah Alliance an Save the Salt.

Please understand that I do not have time to answer every question from the LSR community, but I DO INTEND to be ready for nay questions from members of the US Congress and staff as we press forward with legislation to effect restorative change.

Happily afflicted with salt fever since 1988.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #209 on: June 03, 2016, 10:58:49 AM »
Agree with all the above statements . . . . . .

The OPERATIVE QUESTION, Where did 3.5 feet of Halite thickness go to?    remains unaddressed by the powers that be.

And that is just the way they want it to stay . . . . . .  until EVERYTHING of value is EXTRACTED.

We all know where it is... on rail cars to everywhere, with the remainder in the large settling ponds waiting to be put on rail cars when it becomes economically feasible. The salt laydown was a smoke screen for adding more water to wash the crust down the open drains to extract any immediately salable materials and put the remainder in storage. 
The laydown will only work if the drains are closed
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O