Author Topic: UTAH ALLIANCE  (Read 135287 times)

Offline RogerL

Re: UTAH ALLIANCE
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2015, 01:08:28 PM »
SEMA was huge, as always. I did not spend much time there. We had a meeting of the STS, UA and a number of others to discuss the BSF situation. Without getting into specifics, I can say the meeting was productive and we are hopeful a reclamation proposal will be forth coming that can be made public shortly. We have been very active on a number of fronts relative to engaging our elected officials in Nevada and Utah. We have their attention and expect their combined influence on the Dept of Interior and the BLM will ultimately be very helpful. Hope we can get more news posted on our website and Facebook page going forward.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2015, 01:18:33 PM »
Thanks for the news Roger. God Bless you. :cheers:

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2015, 01:19:23 PM »
Roger
Thank you again for all you do.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2015, 04:10:01 PM »
  Rodger, I don't know if You realize just how much all of Us peon's appreciate Your keeping us Current.  Up to date information in Todays World is all We have to keep our sanity and our hopes and dreams alive.
  I would give You a big ol' smooch but I don't know how to print it.  Thanx again.
                                                               Bob Drury     :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline RogerL

« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2015, 11:16:06 AM »
i have bee absent from the blog for a while, so will respond briefly.

thanks guys. we , the ua and sts, really appreciate your supportive comments. there is another thread on landracing that provides some more current information. you should check it out. just the last day or so we have received support from our nevada officials. we getting some tracking in dc.....

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2016, 04:07:27 PM »
The last anything was said, we were looking for a reclamation proposal mid January.

Is it ready yet?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2016, 05:30:24 PM »
Here is the latest news from their website.

Tom G.

January 17, 2016

Join Congressman Chris Stewart at Events Aimed at Holding Federal Land Agencies Accountable

Anyone in the land speed racing community is encouraged to attend. If you have a succinct, powerful comment, contact the Congressman's office in advance for a chance to speak. These comments will become part of the Congressional Record, but you MUST get on the speaker's list in advance of the meeting.

Friday, January 22, 2016

Dixie Convention Center
Entrada Room B/C
1835 South Convention Center Drive
St. George, Utah

10:00am MT:
House Natural Resources Committee Hearing
“Ensuring Local Input, Legal Consistency and Multi-Use Resource Management in St. George BLM Planning"
Members of Congress attending include:
• Congressman Chris Stewart (R-UT)
• Chairman Rob Bishop (R-UT)
• Chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-UT)
• Chairman Tom McClintock (R-CA)
• Congressman Alan Lowenthal (D-CA)

1:00pm MT:
Listening Session hosted by Congressman Stewart with special guests Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz and Natural Resources Committee Chairman Rob Bishop
The topics that will be discussed at the listening session include:
• BLM Law Enforcement
• Federal Agency Actions Against Ranchers
• Potential Collusion between Federal Agencies and Environmental Groups
• Introduction of the Mexican Wolf
• Monument Designations

*Speaking at the listening session will be by invitation only. Those who do not get to speak may submit a written statement to Congressman Stewart’s office. A report from the listening session will be included in the Congressional Record.*

Congressman Chris Stewart'
Salt Lake City Office
420 East South Temple
Suite 390
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Phone: 801·364·5550
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2016, 05:43:03 PM »
I see nothing listed in the two meetings set for January 22 that has anything to do with the salt flats cituation.   :-o   Maybe mid January 2017
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2016, 06:37:11 PM »
So may anyone submit in writing to the office -- like, maybe -- me?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2016, 08:01:49 AM »
Do we have to wait until published in the Congressional Record?

Why?

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

velocity

Replacing Alienation with Cooperation on Track for Bonneville Salt Flats Restoration

FOR RELEASE JANUARY 29, 2016                                   Contact: Louise Ann Noeth |  louise@savethesalt.org

“Refuse to settle for the status quo and defy the powers who loathe to have it disturbed.” - S. Hendrix

Salt Lake City, UT - - Back-to-back years of wet weather, coupled with years of federal mismanagement, has created unsafe surface conditions and ramped up frustrations among the land speed racing community. Save the Salt Coalition and the Utah Alliance recognized that adversarial postures would contribute nothing to the restoration of the Bonneville Salt Flats, an Area of Critical Environmental Concern, and instead spent the past six months cultivating new, productive relationships with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Intrepid Potash-Wendover, and elected representatives on city, state and federal levels.

The result was an unprecedented improvement in communication and cooperation between the BLM and the land speed racing community. Numerous substantive conversations percolated a vigorous exchange of information, ideas and documents. Chief among them is the possibility of withdrawing all 10 mineral leases located north of Interstate 80 from future mining.

The racing community contends that Bonneville lost millions of tons of salt over many decades due to the leases. However, only three percent of Intrepid-Potash’s current annual production is derived from all 10 leases combined. The mining company is willing to abandon the leases altogether so long as no other competitor is allowed to take them over.

We have asked the BLM to investigate the appropriate process to withdraw the 10 leases from all future mining. Normally it is a cumbersome federal process that can take years, but we are working with both BLM staff and elected officials to speed the effort.

Additionally, we are patiently waiting for the delivery of the Bingham Report, a comprehensive engineering document commissioned by the Save the Salt Coalition and Utah Alliance with short- and long-term recommendations for restoring Bonneville. This document forms the basis of the land speed racing community’s position statement.

Among the action items will be: a plan to maximize the brine return program volume as well as control the brine return by creating a containment area; protect the already fragile salt surface from additional mud drift; closing the I-80 culverts to retain laydown brine flow; shift from voluntary to mandatory salt return; require measurement, monitoring, reporting, and analysis of the salt return amounts as well as salt extracted from areas that could impact the international speedway; actively evaluate alternative mechanisms and processes for salt return.

The Save the Salt Foundation (StS) is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to restore the world-famous Bonneville Salt Flats. The Utah Alliance (UA) is a volunteer Utah-based advocacy group using its expertise and contacts at the local level to protect this Historic Place listed on the National Register. The Save the Salt Coalition (StSc) is an umbrella group comprised of automotive and motorsports companies and organizations with a vested interest in this national treasure. All three organizations are collaborating to keep the Bonneville Salt Flats available for future generations.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2016, 02:08:30 PM »
Louise:

This appears to be good news. Thank-you for that.

As racers impatience is part of our DNA but hopefully most of us will try to stay balanced and look forward to further progress.

Any news of how restoration plans will affect this year's programs and future events would be welcome as soon as any plans are made.

Pete

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2016, 10:08:42 PM »
Again, I see the mining company silently thanking the racing community for assisting in there cost cutting efforts by possibly allowing them a way out of their BLM contract early & saving them, was it 2.8 million dollars per year plus a product share to the BLM? :?
Sure they need to be gone for the salt to have a chance at survival here but they've pretty much sucked the bitch dry to the point of a whole 3% of their productivity.
  Sid.
       As usual, just sayin it how it is!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2016, 11:14:06 PM »
Yes - Bingham Report.

We were expecting that two weeks ago. 

Is there a problem?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2016, 11:20:42 PM »
     Only 3% eh?   The old fart cynic in me wonders where the the other 97% productivity is supposed to be coming from.  My wanabe youthful optimistic view sure hopes it isn't from across I-80 on the South side...........

Ed