Author Topic: UTAH ALLIANCE  (Read 135117 times)

Offline RogerL

Re: UTAH ALLIANCE
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2015, 10:45:29 PM »
regards to alt b, read the last few pages of the ea document. the decision of record is there as well. the public review period and decision were "noticed".

Offline RogerL

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2015, 10:46:39 PM »
those of you htat have made an effort to contact your elected congressmen, thank you.

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2015, 12:07:40 AM »
Roger,
  I notice 4.3.2.1 wording was changed from:
Reclamation:    There would be positive impacts because the ACEC area would be reclaimed.

in the approval to:
Reclamation: Reclamation would not affect the ACEC since there are no mining features within the ACEC.

4.3.2.2 was:
Reclamation:    The ditches in the ACEC would be filled in and the ditch berms would be removed.  This would bring the surface of the land back to its original contour.

now reads:
Reclamation: Reclamation would not affect the ACEC since there are no mining features within the ACEC.

and 4.3.2.3 was:
 Reclamation:    There would be no reclamation plan approved and a reclamation bond could not be imposed because there is no plan to make the appropriate calculation.  This would not be in accordance with the regulations and there would have to be a new reclamation plan submitted for approval.  The ditches on the ACEC may not be reclaimed because there would be no approved reclamation plan.

again changed to:

Please share your interpretation,
Sam
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 12:13:31 AM by Dakin Engineering »
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline RogerL

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2015, 10:05:22 AM »
sam, i don't have a clue as to why the wording was changed, maybe a result of some comments made during the review process. can't say if there are issues there or not. if there are, they will come out as we move down the road on a reclamation plan. glad you are taking time to read the docs.

« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2015, 10:46:39 AM »
Comment 23 reads:

Commenter: Save the Salt Coalition 4.3.2

Comment: The Coalition states that ACEC reclamation would be "spurious".
Response: The BLM corrected the appropriate sections of the EA to reflect correct reclamation plans.

Integration Status  (EA addition/ correction): Section 4.3.2 updated.

Looks like StS is responsible for the change....

Sam

Offline RogerL

« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2015, 12:17:34 PM »
sam, could be. the entire sts letter is on the website. it has been in the public domain for a number to years.

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2015, 03:55:43 PM »
From the 2012 StS commentary on the Intrepid EA section 4.3.2;
"...The program proposed under Alternative B will likely only stabilize the area. The EA’s
assertion that “the ACEC area would be reclaimed” [p. 25] is spurious unless the BLM allows
and pursues supplemental replenishment activities."

Alt B already changed the Salt Laydown from voluntary to required.
It included the ion mass balance of 1.0 or greater.
It contained requirements for reclamation (fill the ditches and restore natural contour).

In short, Reclamation could have begun in 2012, IF NOT FOR the StS commentary.

I applaud the StS for adopting a new stance on reclamation.

Sam

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2015, 04:58:19 PM »
Sam,

Filling the 4 miles of ditches nearest to the track mentioned in the environmental assessment would not be as beneficial as you may think. There are approximately 12 additional miles of ditches just outside of the ACEC that Intrepid is using for collection (approx. measured using google maps). Also, the mass balance is at best replacing what is coming off the north side of the highway. 1 coming off then 1 going back on does not result in any additional salt on the BSF. None of this is really reclamation. At best it is just maintaining and limping it along. STS's comments look more to strike the wording of the report that make it seem like there would actually be reclamation happening. It's actually a good catch on their part. Their stance remains the same and that action actually should help now because the BLM, etc. can't look back at the EA and say "see, it should be working just give it time". The only reclamation mentioned in the EA is filling the ditches which just fills ditches they no longer use. They should do that anyway but it will not result in additional salt being on the track, just filled ditches.

Also, in a previous post you brought up the 2023 date for redoing their contract. That is their normal cycle. I think the goal right now is to provide enough outcry and evidence to force the contract back open so it can be revised with some actual reclamation to hopefully rebuild the salt that has been lost. That is why it is such a big political and procedural problem that STS is and the Utah Coalition, etc. is trying to work through right now. There can be all the ideas in the world to try and save it  but until something is worked in to the contract everything is going to be on a voluntary basis on the part of Intrepid, they are operating within the limits of their contract and have no obligations to do anything beyond what is in the contract. Hence, the reason to contact representatives.

Gabe

Edit: also, has anyone noticed that their mass balance equation doesn't make sense?

(Y1SL+Y2SL+Y3SL)/(Y1SB+Y2SB+Y3SB)= 0 or 1.0 or greater

Why the 0? it doesn't make any sense and leaves a huge loophole that if they wanted to save money they could just say "oh look,  (0ton laydown)/(50ton collection)= 0, I don't have to pump anything back out...profit!".

Another thing, the 2018 study. The requirement just says they have to repeat the 2003 salt crust thickness and if it shows a decrease then the BLM may revise the contract. HUGE RED FLAG for me! It's only relative to the 2003 study, no other studies from the past. As you can see from Russ's measurements  over the last 10 years the thickness doesn't just get thinner everywhere, it's dynamic and moves with the water/wind flows, weather, etc. With that in mind, almost any variation between the 2003 and 2018 studies could be well within the margin of error especially with the current laydown project being conducted. Which, leaves another easy out of changing the contract.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 05:42:53 PM by BasementBorn »
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2015, 11:43:33 AM »
My windows 10 won't open the document on "save the salt" site. Says Word is opening in protected view, but nothing happens. Anyone help?

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2015, 12:36:16 PM »
I went back to Windows 7.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline desotoman

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2015, 04:11:20 PM »
My windows 10 won't open the document on "save the salt" site. Says Word is opening in protected view, but nothing happens. Anyone help?

Ron

Ron,

My windows 10 said What should Firefox do with this file? Open with * "Windows Wordpad Application" which was the default setting on my windows 10 / Firefox setup. The more I use Windows 10 the more I like it. But if you cannot get it to download, here is what the letter says, feel free to copy and paste it to your Word or Word-perfect program.

Tom G.

(date)

Re: Land Speed Racing at Bonneville Salt Flats

Dear Senator (or Congressman/woman) ______________

I am writing to you today to bring to your attention an issue that threatens the century old sport of land speed racing at Bonneville Salt Flats on the Utah/Nevada border in Wendover, Utah. 

The condition of the salt flats has deteriorated to point that all five land speed races scheduled over four months this year and 2014 saw 3 of the 5 cancelled. This is a huge economic hit to the towns of Wendover, UT and West Wendover, NV.

The organizations that host the races work closely with the Bureau of Land Management to obtain permits to use the salt flats and to ensure that the racers and spectators adhere to strict environmental guidelines.

The degradation of this historic area is due in part to mining activity nearby. The mining companies, over decades have extracted potash by pumping brine from under the salt, resulting in a thinning of the salt crust. Weather has certainly played a part as well.

There are a number of cost-effective ‘fixes” that have been identified that will not inhibit the mining company’s operation. While the entire area is administered by the BLM, there is no plan in place to mandate ongoing reclamation or restoration.

I ask that you support our efforts to save the salt and restore the long-held history of land speed racing by mandating that the BLM immediately develop a plan to reclaim this wonderful national treasure, the Bonneville Salt Flats.

For additional information please contact the Utah Alliance to Save the Salt at www.save-the-salt.org.

Thank you.

(your name)
(address)
(city, state, zip)

(ph #)
(email address)
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2015, 07:00:29 PM »
Thanks Tom. I'll try that. It downloaded it then couldn't/wouldn't open it.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2015, 08:47:38 PM »
  Thanx Tom.  Us old fartz ain't as smart as we once wuz........................    Bob :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline burbanite

• New folks
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2015, 08:52:57 PM »

GREG MILLER - Director, Larry H Miller Family of Companies.

This guy. Huge local business presence, family very well known, just sold Miller Motorsports Park, heavily invested in the local economy and the culture.

Good find, keep him busy.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

velocity

« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2015, 06:42:23 PM »
NHRA pro Funny Car Driver joins with the Utah Alliance

http://www.save-the-salt.org/news/

This is the first of many letters of support I am gathering from my colleagues at NHRA - they remember where the sport emanated from.