Author Topic: World finals  (Read 61957 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
World finals
« on: September 06, 2012, 08:07:13 PM »
I received a letter by E-Mail today from Scott Andrews that my services as announcer is no longer needed. They are bringing in someone new and going to a new system. All speeds etc. will be done by FM station in your car or portable radio. The CB is going back to the tower to be in contact with the crews.

After 29 years of working in the timing stands at El Mirage, Muroc and Bonneville,
I can't say how much doing this has meant to me over the years. Announcing the times of thousands of vehicles and each ones attempt to do their personal best was my reward to be part of every run. I understand that things change and choices made by board members to what they feel is best. The way it's handled is another manner. Over the years I have had a great crew dedicated to the timing venue. That has changed and it will take a long time to catch up.

I will be there for the world finals to visit and maybe work on a couple crews. This will be the first time as a non worker except for a couple of USFRA meets I attended. This will not change my love of the sport and I will continue to be involved in other ways. Thanks to everyone for letting me be part of your sport of LSR.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 55chevr

Re: World finals
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 08:09:36 PM »
Glen - PM sent.

Joe

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 08:14:28 PM »
Glen, I'm bummed.  No, devastated.  One of the absolute prime reasons I wanted to provide the live audio - with archiving, too -- is so that all of the racers, families, crews, and anyone in the entire world - could hear YOU tell us about the run, the speeds, the famous "take it to impound", and so on. 

I've heard other announcers and sure, they get the basic information across - but dammit, hearing you say those words mean more than dang near anything else.

You might not be sitting in the tower and doing that part of the talking - but you'll be heard by many of us, if only in our minds - and hearts.  I'll see what I can do to make sure of that.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 08:40:43 PM »
Glen,

I would like to thank you for all the work that you have done for the SCTA, and its members. I know everyone of us appreciate everything you have done over the years, and cannot
THANK YOU  enough.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 08:53:59 PM »
Glen:

So sad to hear that!
Your voice announcing the run times is THE sound of Bonneville in many peoples minds.

Your contribution and time invested is very much appreciated by all, even the spectators who have never run, know that when they hear your voice some one's run time will be announced. Everyone unconsiously would pause a moment to hear your words and find out what the latest speed was for each competitor you announced.

As above, I Thank you for all you have given to the sport and I hope you can continue to be a key part of the sport and timing in the future.

Looking forward to seeing you out there for many years to come.
It was nice to get to chat with you at the museum this year prior to speedweek as well.

Larry

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 08:59:38 PM »
  Wow, I don't know what to say other than Thank You not only for what you have done but for What You Have Meant thousands of Land Speed Racers and fans.
  Two of my biggest hopes were for you to say to my crew: "Bring it to Impound" and "That should back up the Record".
  Glen, I hope to see you at the WF's and shake your hand for all of those that can't make it so wear a good set of gloves.
  Someone has a heck of a big pair of shoe's to fill...................
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:  Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 09:25:15 PM »
Good grief.   :-(
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline bak189

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 09:46:59 PM »
Glen, really sorry you are being "fired",,,,,,,,,,,,and here for all those years  that I competed in LSR, I thought you were part of the "good old boys" network..........I must have been mistaken....................
Anyway, many many many thanks, for your outstanding work for all those many years..... again THANKS.............
Question authority.....always

Offline Gman

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 09:55:38 PM »
Thank you for everything you have done Glen.  It just won't be the same.  I was really hoping one day you would tell our crew to take it to impound.... Sorry I won't be hearing your voice.  You will be missed on the air.  My only hope is that you will have more free time to have fun racing.   :-D
It's time to stop reading about history and start creating it

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 10:36:30 PM »
Can't believe what I'm reading. Thanks for all you've done for all of us. Your always welcome to help or hang out with the Thundersalt crew  :cheers:
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Bville701

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 10:45:29 PM »
Glen,

You are one of my heroes!!! You will ALWAYS be the "Voice" of Bonneville to me!

Thank you for always looking out for us, and being such a great friend! I really appreciate ALL that you have done!   :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline RogerL

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 10:47:57 PM »
Glen,

that news stinks! you have been a part of LSR racing too long to be "retired' this way.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 10:59:24 PM »
This is a bit like being told Vince Scully won't be calling the Dodgers anymore.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 11:03:25 PM »
Glen,
I'm sure gonna miss your distinctive voice that was part of every Speed Week I've ever been to (beginning in the late '80s).
Somehow, it always sounded so reassuring to me.
Truly and sadly, the end of an era.
Thank you for your untold hours of volunteering for our sport!

Willi
Who Has More Fun?

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 11:11:12 PM »
See you in the pits at WF......JD.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro