Author Topic: World finals  (Read 61958 times)

Offline doug

Re: World finals
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2012, 01:23:36 PM »
'He came to us from outside of the land speed racing world but he is an announcing professional that has written a number of racing books as well.'
'The announcer will announce all of the times and any color that he wants on the radio with no need to announce speeds on the CB.'

How does someone provide color when they have no experience (ex. Paul Page announcing NHRA)?  Usually someone that provides color is a subject matter expert.  Something stinks on this one.
The delivery is cowardly and chicken s... and whoever made the decision should have 'manned up' on this.  A person should NEVER be sent an email in this situation.  This should have been done in person or at the very least a phone call.
Sorry Glen.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2012, 02:29:59 PM »
I have nothing but the utmost respect for Glen Barrett, always have, always will.

The only thing constant in life is change. Some of us hate it, some embrace it.

I contacted the President and Secretary of the SCTA, as there are two sides to a story, and got my replies.

I am passed the initial shock and emotional replies, and believe the SCTA has our best interests at heart.

Sometimes that is not easy to digest, but needed, to move forward.

I am sure the SCTA will honor Glen at the SCTA Awards Banquet for his service to the association.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2012, 02:41:39 PM »
I am sure the SCTA will honor Glen at the SCTA Awards Banquet for his service to the association.

I believe Glen received the Bob Higbee Award in 2011.  Not that he shouldn't be recognized again for his service but that award in itself is probably the highest honor one could possibly hope to receive from the SCTA IMHO.  

Just sayin'.  

Here's to all your years of service and dedication Glen.  :cheers:  The new guy has some big shoes to fill.    
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:45:35 PM by NathanStewart »
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2012, 02:43:02 PM »
I hope they didn't e-mail the award to him.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2012, 03:12:14 PM »
Two of my most favorite voices in motorsports have been Tom Carnegie at Indy " And a new track record " and Glen " Take it to impound Odom ".

I guess everything has to change but I don't have to like.

Doug feeling sad in Big Ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline BIGHORN

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2012, 03:39:44 PM »
Same here, Doug
John Kelly

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2012, 04:05:31 PM »
Desotoman --- Don"t drink the koolaid.

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2012, 05:09:14 PM »
So, the question i have is:

is he just not going to be announcing? and is still the "Chief Timer"

or is he no longer the "Chief Timer"?

There is a hell of a lot going on in the timing tower (not the announcers stand) that has nothing to do with calling the times. Glen runs a multi-course timing crew along with the Rice boys from Cronologic. I don't think a professional announcer and racing book writer are qualifications for "Chief Timer"
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2012, 05:13:05 PM »
Glen has been the chief timer emeritus for a year or two, and Scott Andrews was the chief timer this year if not before.  Glen was announcer this year at SpeedWeek - didn't have timing duties other than maybe as a stand-in or adviser - I think.  Glen, if I got that wrong I apologise and would appreciate being set straight.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2012, 05:22:19 PM »
I haven't been the chief timer since I moved to Utah. Bob Webb, then Frank Scott and 2 years ago they brought in Andrews to handle the position. As far as I know he never worked in the tower after I left. I have been doing the announcing since 2004. The changes they made to move me in a box with almost no visibility to the course and the loss of what I am allowed to say has not been the best for the racer. There are other issues as well That need to be addressed and changes for that position. As far as the 3 & 4 course having a different CB channel was something I suggested the first year they added course #4, and yes Nathen they do have a CB in the 2nd tower. The people calling the shots have never done timing or announcing.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2012, 06:08:56 PM »
Glen was also the Man of the Year for the 2 Club a year or two ago.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline edweldon

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2012, 08:56:14 PM »
Personally I think we are seeing the tip of the iceberg of a "Suits" takeover of landspeed racing at Bonneville.  Some of you older ex-NHRA guys know how that works. IMHO the combination of Chief Timer and Secretary in one person creates the most powerful position in the SCTA.  Time will tell whether this all works out (bad pun)............. Ed
Captain Eddie's Day Old Fish Market -- home of the Bonneville Salt Fish
Featuring the modern miracle of mechanical refrigeration.

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2012, 09:53:34 PM »
Man, just read on Glen's FB about him not being the announcer anymore.

I have no idea the politics behind the situation but I've been racing on the salt long enough to know that politics are huge with SCTA/BNI and that you as a racer BETTER be on their good side :-(

But aside from all that crap...  Glen, I started coming to the salt in '06 - not long ago - and have spent a LOT of hours listening to your voice first learning "how stuff works out there" (listening to your broadcast is the BEST way for salt noobs to learn the ropes), and then moved up to listening carefully in the chase vehicles for you to announce our times, and maybe hear the best words you can hear "take it to impound, boys!"

I'm going to miss hearing you out there.   You have a great voice and, at least from my perspective, you always did an excellent job!!!

Offline Kix

• 1997 GMC Saltnoma
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2012, 10:13:53 AM »
I am so sad to hear this news from one of my team members today......  it reminds me of when Johnny Carson left the tonight show..... 

it has never been the same since.......
MODIFIED MID-PICKUP #4442

Bonneville Record:     219.35 mph
Maxton Mile Record:   193.14 mph
Ohio Mile Record:       192.80 mph

Offline Tman

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2012, 10:51:55 AM »
I am so sad to hear this news from one of my team members today......  it reminds me of when Johnny Carson left the tonight show..... 

it has never been the same since.......

Hey at least Jay Leno is a car guy! :wink: :-D