Author Topic: World finals  (Read 62184 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: World finals
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2012, 01:02:54 AM »
Since this is a WF thread. I'll slide on back:

Ready to load. Front bearings checked, VP-16 test gas drained, new belts in, chute packed, fire suit and Hans "luggage" down from the garage attic, Moon dics on, and tires aired up. Trailer coming home Saturday for Sunday load and start 0-dark-30 Monday morning. Need to test run trailer generator and air comp.

Hope to run 2 classes if all goes well. Gave a little shout out to The Man for a dry, smooth time. Missed one last year.

Next year hope to make more meets on the salt as I WON'T BE WORKING ANYMORE.............Good luck to all going...........JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2012, 08:33:07 AM »
JD, it will be good to see you on the salt. Have a safe trip.Go fast. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2012, 09:05:36 AM »
JD slow down .... you are a week early  :roll: 
See ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2012, 10:11:23 AM »
JD, are you saying you pack the chute before the meet?  Or are you saying it's packed in the trailer?  And, yeah it IS a week early man.  Driver's meeting isn't until Wednesday the 3rd.  Not to mention that it doesn't look like it will be one of those "put your driver's suit on in the hotel room and leave it on all day" 40 degree WF meets that we gas N/A ers have come to know and love.  http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Wendover+UT+USUT0270:1:US
OTOH maybe you're trying to power park?  If so, go fer it!
See you on the saline.
Jim
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2012, 06:54:56 PM »
I always pack the chute at home. Normally I never pull it out on the salt either for inspection. You can tell if it's crusty or the place where the cable goes thru is stiff. I found lots of them that way when I was inspection. Most of the time I told owner to put some sunscreen on it to soften it up so it would come out.

As an inspector I only wanted to see the cable or lever move. I didn't care if it ever came out. That's the drivers problem I'm not running behind the vehicle to pull it out. To be honest if they want to see my chute I'll go take it off. The record is 168 and the chute minimum is 175. It' a safety measure for me not them.

When we ran over 175 we used it every time and washed it in the pit between runs using 2 5 gallon buckets and water. Double dip and hang up to dry on the cover. It was always dry before we went for another run.

I'm never a week early. I consider myself late now. I go over everything 2 or 3 times. Just read the inspector form again here at my desk before I started this note. Just took my fire suit out of the dryer and turned inside out and hung up in the garage before packing in the suitcase. The chute was clean from the washing machine when I put it away. I wash it after every meet whether I choose to use it or not which I do at El Mirage where it's not required either.

Sorry, but I get to work 30 minutes early everyday, for my relax time not for them.............. See you there if your going...JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2012, 11:19:35 PM »
First of all, I'll be there.  2nd of all re: packing your chute at home... I believe yours is in a pack.  Mine is in a tube.  If I leave it packed overnight, there's a REALLY good chance it won't come out of the tube the next day.
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2012, 10:18:38 AM »
Jim...I agree with your thinking.......Hope to see you there........JD

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2012, 10:47:39 AM »
Put talcum powder in the tube Jim, it helps. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2012, 12:09:20 AM »
    I used to pack the chute for my buddys  AA/GS Willys. I heard about the baby powder trick and tried it, it worked great, the only problem was I did not let the girls know. They thought the white cloud at the big end was something bad. I caught hell but we all laugh about it now. My wife still claims that I do not comunicate enough! Mars and Venus!!!!
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2012, 11:31:52 AM »
OK, so Glen will be there, JD will be there, Jim will be there, we will be there with the Bockscar.  Who else is going?  Weather looks good, although unseasonably warm.  Salt should be dry, any condition reports out there from the prep crew? 

We are just a few days from racing folks
See ya on the salt  8-)
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2012, 11:52:43 AM »
  God willing, I will be there to race (my car and trailer are allready in Wendover).
  Lionel Pitts is coming with me to crew, and hopefully Mike Wesche from Montana.
  If Mike can't make it, I plan on "stealing Stainless Steele's" entire crew if necessary.
  And one more thing, the OLD STUD RACING Studebaker is going to spice things up with a MODERATE DOSE OF NITRO ........
  Ahh, the smell of Nitro in the morning...................................   Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2012, 12:22:17 PM »
I'll be there without my car. I'm putting together a new motor right now. I'll be at the White Goose Bar as usual.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2012, 12:45:01 PM »
I'll be there without my car. I'm putting together a new motor right now. I'll be at the White Goose Bar as usual.  :cheers: Wayno

I'll bring along something for the top shelf to share - I think Gog's will be able to attest to the quality . . .

:wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »
I'm sure all of you will be glad to hear that Nancy and I will be at WF again this year.  Glad to hear it - because, remember, that without me you'd have to search all over the place for somewhere to relieve yourself.  We're getting only 20 porta-potties this time around - so maybe you'll need to practice waiting in line, legs crossed tightly, or maybe you'll learn to walk behind the nearest tree or power pole (Good Luck!).

We'll be there with the ZX14.  Nancy isn't interested in riding it now - maybe not ever again - but I sure as heck intend to see what that horsepower bump has done for top speed.  For the sake of the record book, which I'll be tickled pink if I get in this year -- the bike is registered as it was for the past few years:  Mrs. Seldom Seen Slim.  See you on the salt! :lol: :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2012, 02:23:50 PM »
No one would fault Nancy if she retired. She has done a lot in this sport. Good luck to you Slim!