Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3297845 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #1875 on: December 06, 2012, 06:42:07 PM »
Midget,

In the random thought department:

With the engine out & cyl head off, it occurs to me that now would be the time to fabricate a precise & easily viewed timing pointer for the front of the engine.  Perhaps it could attach to the crank trigger mounting bracket?   Your thoughts?

Time to shotgun this 'flying monkee' while still airborne, before it lands at the dyno session..................
 :cheers:
Fordboy
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:46:46 PM by fordboy628 »
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1876 on: December 06, 2012, 07:06:54 PM »
Midget,

Another random thought before dyno session.........

Any friendly sources (as in borrow for free?) for additional header choices??  Probably want a header from a 948/998/1098 or 970/1070......as opposed to a 1275/1310.
Fordboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1877 on: December 06, 2012, 10:24:33 PM »
Sure is nice uploading to Photobucket without having to sit through a political ad . . .

Fordboy – it occurs to me that with a 60 tooth crank trigger, every tooth = 6 degrees, and seeing as I already have a reference with the sensor, a simple color coding method would suffice . . .

I can tweak it in the software.

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas . . .

Straighter than a crew cut on a drill sergeant, this gear set.  The wiring harness was needed because the next dyno session will be on a Superflow engine dyno, and I didn’t want to pull the one I have installed – I know it works, and I don’t want to invite the ghost of Lord Lucas back to the table for seconds.

The last few weeks have been tuchus-over-teakettle concentrating on promotion and sponsorship.

I’ve put together a list of a half dozen events I’m taking the Midget to, all of which I’m confident I can obtain sponsorship for.  If you think about it, the nature of LSR is such that a car sits 50 weeks a year.  Promotional tie ins with other events are easier to do with an LSR car than if you’re running a series where the car has to be on the track every weekend.  And if you do it right, you won’t seize a valve in the parking lot of a liquor store. 

I had a meeting yesterday with Ron Faiola, a good friend and customer, and documentary film maker.  We’re putting together a short promotional video to help sell the team to potential sponsors.  He’s won a few awards for his work – his most recent is this, which has been aired on public television stations here in Wisconsin, but also in California, Texas and Colorado.  Considering the topic, it’s fair to say we met over lunch . . .

http://www.supperclubmovie.com/trailer.html

And yes, at 1:50 into the trailer, that is indeed Bun E. Carlos of Cheap Trick.  A spoiler alert here, in the documentary, we discover he ordered the Shepherd’s Pie – the preferred dinner of Keith Richards.

I’ve also set up a LinkedIn account, which can be accessed through my e-mail address, available on my profile.  If you’re on LinkedIn, drop me an invite.

I did set up a Facebook page, but I have found it maddening and banal, tough to navigate, counterintuitive, and will be closing it – I see no value in it as a promotional tool.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #1878 on: December 07, 2012, 01:16:24 AM »
... 2/  The resonant frequency of the spring(s) selected need(s) to be evaluated Vs. engine operating rpm range....
Tell us about that evaluation.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1879 on: December 07, 2012, 08:03:06 AM »
Sure is nice uploading to Photobucket without having to sit through a political ad . . .

Fordboy – it occurs to me that with a 60 tooth crank trigger, every tooth = 6 degrees, and seeing as I already have a reference with the sensor, a simple color coding method would suffice . . .

I can tweak it in the software.

Midget,

Sounds like a good plan, what would be the reference pointer/indicator?  I'm thinking it should be something visable as installed in the chassis.  You should use the same method for checking the timing on the dyno, that you will have to use in the chassis.
Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1880 on: December 07, 2012, 08:07:06 AM »
... 2/  The resonant frequency of the spring(s) selected need(s) to be evaluated Vs. engine operating rpm range....
Tell us about that evaluation.

I'll post it up as soon as it's finished.   Main priority right now is dimensions for bolt holes for the dyno adaptor, so it is a smidge down from the top of the list.
Fordboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1881 on: December 07, 2012, 09:50:49 AM »

Midget,

Sounds like a good plan, what would be the reference pointer/indicator?  I'm thinking it should be something visable as installed in the chassis.  You should use the same method for checking the timing on the dyno, that you will have to use in the chassis.
Fordboy

I'm just going to paint a line on the sensor itself.  True, a pointer hanging over the wheel would be more visually accurate, but we really only need it close enough to finish mapping it out on the computer. 

Painting the wheel flat white with alternating green and red teeth should stand out pretty well under a strobe light, even if it needs to be confirmed on the salt at high noon.  Black tooth is TDC.

The Hobgoblin is out in the garage - I still need to knock its cap off, but when I do . . .

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1882 on: December 12, 2012, 08:56:26 AM »
Midget,

Some timely Brittish car thoughts...............

http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/comics.html

Happy Holidays to all &
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: of Christmas Ales
Fordboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1883 on: December 12, 2012, 09:39:17 AM »
Clearly written by an authority.

I'm particularily fond of 3 over, 4 down.

Well, that tears it - I clearly can't get any work done while I'm laughing my head off . . .

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #1884 on: December 12, 2012, 11:06:13 AM »
You do have to love British cars. The picture of the service station reminded me that they make motorcycles too.

Back in the 70's I worked for a Triumph motorcycle dealer. Electrical parts were horrible and very hard to get.

I was the newbie, and a customer comes in looking for a horn for his Triumph. So I asked the Triumph expert next to me.

He said I could look in the back for a non-existent Triumph horn, sell him a Yamaha horn, or a Clear Hooter.

I said, "what's a Clear Hooter?"

He said, "You lean over the wind screen and yell GET THE HECK OUT OF THE WAY!"
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline wlarryglick

• New folks
« Reply #1885 on: December 12, 2012, 01:10:34 PM »
I had to laugh out loud at the picture of "Los Lucas."

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1886 on: December 12, 2012, 05:18:24 PM »
And speaking of electronics -

Max, I just opened the Landracing.com internet broadcast kit AND picked up a 9 space Anvil case rack that I think will fit very nicely.

Appropriate on Mic Check day -

One Two - One Two - One Two.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #1887 on: December 12, 2012, 06:25:09 PM »
Woot!
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1888 on: December 14, 2012, 04:31:07 PM »
Had a little down time today.  Honkytonkitis’ accordion player had a very nice Anvil flight case he was using for an end table, and he gave it to me.  This worked out really swell, because Max had sent me up the Landracing.com webcast kit, and after digging through a pile of antiques in the corner of the shop, I was able to find a quartz FM receiver – which will work both in the U.S. AND in Sweden.  So Jon, if you’re off to the ice races, the kit is ready to go.  A few XLR plugs, a little solder – only the screen and the keyboard need to be bagged – everything else is plug-and-play.  From here on out, it’s Bonneville to the world in real time.

The difference will be striking, and this really ups our game.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #1889 on: December 14, 2012, 05:13:27 PM »
Double Woot!

A few volunteers to wander past and check on it at Speedweek will be greatly appreciated.  Easy to operate, works fine and lasts a long time.  No Lucas parts therein, no oil leaks.  Dang, MM, you are right handy . . .
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/