Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3216274 times)

Offline Jon

Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #2505 on: April 12, 2012, 08:03:11 PM »
I like it

Google Anzac Badge if youre concerned about the rising sun not being an Australian symbol.

Cheers
jon
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:53:17 PM by Jon »
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2506 on: April 12, 2012, 08:22:26 PM »
Good point Jon, I overlooked that :roll:

I cannot remember seeing a successful green. (I cannot wait to see Big Gaze' toxic green ford powered Jaguar XJS on the salt. I believe he chose this colour to annoy the purists and it should be a sight to see...)

The Bean Bandits bellytank looked good in a copper green, pretty flat finish.....

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Shanghai F1
« Reply #2507 on: April 12, 2012, 08:30:18 PM »
On misappropriated symbols, When I was working in Singapore you could see a lot of swastikas on buildings which were simply retaining their Buddhist connections from where the nazis pinched the symbol from. Still a bit weird to my western eye raised on war films (favorite two being "where Eagles Dare" classic with Clint and Richard Burton, gee I loved that film, and "Kelly's Heroes" also with Clint and same director, and a very anachronistic Donald Sutherland. I could talk for ages on those, then Catch22 I guess. That was an un-makable movie that they somehow made work...)

Anyway, back on topic, sort of. I am sitting in a car now writing this on my iPad on a freeway between Changzhou and Shanghai driving with my assistant and his girlfriend going to the Formula One Practice Day at the Shanghai circuit. (He is also a car nut and likes rice burners the best.) the circuit always looks great on tv now I get to see it. Woo hoo! Shall post photos.

Old copper green sounds interesting.

A few years back I got to see the V8 super cars at the Bahrain F1 circuit and was mightily impressed with this strange construction in the desert wastelands.

Good to get some petrol head stuff in whilst here.

Dik
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:32:20 PM by Reverend Hedgash »

Offline Tman

« Reply #2508 on: April 12, 2012, 09:59:10 PM »
Titty Pink?

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2509 on: April 12, 2012, 10:18:02 PM »
With brown hubcaps.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Live Shanghai f1 practice day report
« Reply #2510 on: April 13, 2012, 12:35:55 AM »
Ok, I am at the track... And it is an overcast day.

The f1's have finished their first practice, awesome sound. Spectators? Virtually none! I just don't get it. Tickets are 80rmb which is about 11$. The population is 1.4billion. Where is everybody?

Bought a red bull top, guy behind the counter told me Chinese customs are only releasing three boxes every two hours! All the stands suffering from no stock. It's like they want kill the event.

Not like our well managed, well priced DLRA merchandise truck at Gairdner, good on you Rod and Carol and others, you show the world how it can be done.

I am sitting opposite Daniel RiccArdos pit garage at the moment, definitely a rising star and probable replacement for Webber. Hope Mark has a good year, i have watched nearly every one of his races on the tube

The buildings are pretty cool. Good bold gestures. haven't found the beer yet though.

Gonzo Hedgash

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #2511 on: April 13, 2012, 02:04:34 AM »
Titty Pink?

six of the best

With brown hubcaps.

Detention.

Not so funny now is it gentlemen? :evil:

This afternoon, which I might add has been clear skies, dead calm and in the high twenties.....The Colonel and I sat down and did a bit of a back of the ciggie pack spreadsheet. . What it showed was that if we go with the 2.14 rear end we will drop around 2000rpm out of the top of third gear.So a change somewhere over 6 grand will still have us over 4 where the power starts. It's 1.46:1(according to the workshop manual, however, forums seem to indicate it is 1.34?????), yes there is an opportunity to go to an M21..........that would get the third gear ratio down to 1.25 which would make a big difference but they aren't cheap........ but what we are left with is a choice we think now between the 2.28 and the 2.14.......I'm starting to think 2.28.............

Bo, you'll be picking up rubbish, Trent, headmaster's office 3pm.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:10:57 AM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Jon

Re: Shanghai F1
« Reply #2512 on: April 13, 2012, 02:54:17 AM »
On misappropriated symbols, When I was working in Singapore you could see a lot of swastikas on buildings which were simply retaining their Buddhist connections from where the nazis pinched the symbol from.

Do the Buddhist one's go the other way or is that just an urban legend?

Underhouse Engineering

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #2513 on: April 13, 2012, 03:18:25 AM »
They like it both ways. These are new buildings too.

Webber fourth fastest now.

About right I think for this season, I reckon Schumi might be a player yet...

D

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #2514 on: April 13, 2012, 03:29:58 AM »
just did a few more sums

2.41:1 @7200rpm = 240mph assuming full hook up

I figure we'll have something like 350hp @7200 if we can work out why the motor was falling over at 6500, we are starting to firm on valve springs.....yeah theoretical cars and all that...but we have heads that'll flow vastly more than we'll ever make and the curve when we dynoed was a straight line up to where it conked.

Who has a calculator that will give us a mile by mile breakdown of estimated speeds with that sort of power?.... I think we're dreamin' but it would be nice to know... I can take a scaled front shot and give measurements if there is someone who reckons they can ball park the Cd

Hey Wayno, how many ponies did Jack reckon he had? I seem to remember somewhere around 550?

Offline Jon

« Reply #2515 on: April 13, 2012, 03:59:45 AM »
Thanks for sharing that, what about the swastikas! :roll:

Have you ever run out of hp or always run out of revs?

If you have a known speed and a know hp, you can guestimate new top speed with new hp.

jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2516 on: April 13, 2012, 07:38:20 AM »
Goggles sed
"Hey Wayno, how many ponies did Jack reckon he had? I seem to remember somewhere around 550?"
I'll find out. Wayno

Offline Tman

« Reply #2517 on: April 13, 2012, 11:13:45 AM »
I THINK I know what you meant with that last reply?

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #2518 on: April 13, 2012, 08:04:45 PM »
Thanks for sharing that, what about the swastikas! :roll:
Have you ever run out of hp or always run out of revs?
If you have a known speed and a know hp, you can guestimate new top speed with new hp.
jon

Dunno what sort of power the old motor made as we never got it to a dyno.

We ran out of revs,it put on 12mph/per mile over the last three miles GPS top speed was 195 twice in a row, so for starters we needed more power.That speed with the 2.77 was at almost exactly 6500rpm.On the second run the motor beat itself to death .The new motor we built has a bigger cam and better heads, but on the dyno it got to 6450 and went no further ,Graham is starting to lean toward valve springs and my suspicion is that the springs that were on the heads when I bought them weren't anything special....we didn't check or change them.That was the point that our dyno session ended.

So, we can't really substitute the equation because there are too many variables......

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2519 on: April 25, 2012, 11:50:40 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76LbvnoIDkE

We were about to drop off the page list
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!