Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3197425 times)

Online kiwi belly tank

Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #2790 on: July 18, 2012, 10:44:47 AM »
With Amber going upside down, that might be a possability!  :-D
  Sid.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #2791 on: July 18, 2012, 05:45:33 PM »
be careful they don't fall into the wrong hands,
i could just imagine seeing someone wearing one on that
being Lara Bingle tv show :wink:

I've got to wonder how much he gets paid to wear that hat
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2792 on: July 18, 2012, 05:51:20 PM »
be careful they don't fall into the wrong hands,
i could just imagine seeing someone wearing one on that
being Lara Bingle tv show :wink:

I've got to wonder how much he gets paid to wear that hat
G

So, um, got a bit on the moment guys?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #2793 on: July 20, 2012, 04:29:45 AM »
flat out.......
I was just looking for something else in build dairies  and noticeed that this we're nearly up to 300,000 views
what's wrong with you people ?
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Online kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2794 on: July 20, 2012, 09:36:06 AM »
Oh!, sorry, I've been slacking lately.  :-P
  Sid.

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #2795 on: July 21, 2012, 09:11:53 PM »
I got an email from Wayno asking if I could talk to a guy about building a tank "his name is Ed , you met him at Bonneville last year"...... So I send an email to Ed and he writes back wanting to know a few things.

"...............saw your car in the post on Waynos construction progress  ,comments etc ,went to Google and did a search for the Jarman-Stewart Spirit of Sunshine and read on about the 3800 v-6 and looked at some You-tube stuff ,the car sit's right and I like the way the canopy cover blends into the car lines ,plus keeps your head out of the wind
Have been gathering engine parts for some time as well info on the chassis build ,just about to put the engine together ,need a Wayno tank body ,needs to be pancaked like the Jack Kelly tank and or yours as I think that helps the stabiltiy
 So just need some how you done it info on the body/chassis build I would say
"

I started writing back to Ed and then thought "gee, I wish it was as fast to attach pics to email as landracing.com"....then I thought actually some other people might like to see this.......So,

Hi Ed,

we started with a Canberra wing tip tank turned 90degrees so the attachment point is toward the ground. We cut the bottom flat, not by much , in fact so little that I added about an inch and a half at the point about a foot forward of the rear axle.
 The upper part of the body is half of a F86 Sabre tank cut axially.In this pic you can see we've already cut the Sabre tank, where it ends here is where the firewall will be, the rest of the cowl, the piece over the drivers head was made from the bottom part of the Sabre tank . This worked well as it made the firewall the widest part and the cowl begins to taper in again toward the front, it was a natural transition point.

In the background you can see the the lower end piece, we cut the tip off this and made the scoop on the cowl from it.In this next shot you can see where there was a slither added, you can see that the flare that was there is gone.we designed for about an inch and a half clearance at the front rising to about three at the rear axle , this was after considering what the expanding boundary layer would be doing....

On the next shot you can see that rather than use two heavy RSJs for a build jig we built a six poster bed style jig so we could "hang" items from it during construction.This was gradually cut away, initially we had the whole jig within 40thou it gave us a natural centreline and made axle alignment easy.We also steered away from a conventional "chassis" as we were so short of room, we built a spaceframe, as two chassis rails would have limited us either in how low we wanted it or how wide. This entire frame was designed in 3D CAD before we cut a single thing, we also built a 1:10 model AND we built a lifesize frame out of light inch tube to check that everything( at least the big things) would fit in it......

I used a Mig to stick it all together, not ideal but good for areas where perfect prep isn't going to happen..

In this shot you can see the way the cowl meets at the firewall........

In this shot you can see that although it sounds simple we had a huge amount of fudging to make everything work

If it wasn't for the Reverend, seen here, it wouldn't have been half as pretty as it is, dunno what he's up to here, but I'm sure it helped.

here he is in the drivers seat, the lines and the stance are getting there....

here you see how the axle lies at the centre or waist-line and you can see the beginning of the canopy superstructure..

this shot is after we had cut the Machi jet canopy down but before we had added the straps allowing us to pull the sides in tighter....

Even when I look at the photos myself I see things that I had conveniently forgotten about, truth be known it was a huge amount of work to make those pieces come together. The Reverend has an incredible eye for combining pieces in his head, when he saw the Sabre tank he knew it would fit on top of the Canberra, likewise when he saw the Machi jet canopy he knew it was right for what we wanted...... I can lay claim to the top of the cab and the scoop but that's about it.

here's the scoop when I welded it on....

we also used the original filler from the Canberra tank as the fuel filler....

Now, it looks like you'd better sign up here Ed :-D

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2796 on: July 21, 2012, 10:04:36 PM »
WOW what a fast build  maybe I should have had you guys do mine!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #2797 on: July 21, 2012, 10:39:33 PM »
When we started we thought it'd take a year and cost about ten grand, the only thing we were right about was the ten grand a year bit, it took over four times that long/much...........Makes the Wild Weasel seem cheap and fast if you ask me......

here we are at Mangalore on her first day out...before the scoop, before the body even saw P80, hah!

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2798 on: July 21, 2012, 10:54:51 PM »
Wow. That sounds like a lot of work. I just threw my junk up in the air and it landed like this.  :-P Wayno

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #2799 on: July 21, 2012, 11:36:23 PM »
Gravity works diffently down there. :?
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #2800 on: July 23, 2012, 01:17:55 AM »
Don`t forget, Wayno, the Rulebook specifies at least 10lbs of Oatmeal for your class..... :mrgreen: :evil:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #2801 on: July 23, 2012, 01:52:21 AM »
Wow. That sounds like a lot of work. I just threw my junk up in the air and it landed like this.  :-P Wayno

FMD Wayno, you must have thrown it a long way up?

From memory it took at least three years to come down again........ :roll: :roll: :roll:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2802 on: July 23, 2012, 06:34:50 AM »
More like 5 years really.  :roll: Paul, I have more oatmeal behind the seat.  :-) Wayno

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #2803 on: July 25, 2012, 09:24:09 PM »
Great re-cap, seeing it in a few pics and short paragraphs makes me all philosophical-like about other life-stuff over the duration... and the constant thread of Salt!

Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Tee Shirts
« Reply #2804 on: July 26, 2012, 01:10:17 AM »
Ok, Tee shirts are made and are on their way to the US!

The sizes are XXL and XXXL which are the biggest I could get and I would say they are more like a medium and a Large. Both fit me with the XXXL being a better fit so I urge purchasers to have a test before buying. (Its a bit like buying condoms in Japan which come in "large", "extra large" and "foreign"...)

These are one colour tees with black on white a good wholesome simple look, black on "Sunshine Yellow" (TM) and an aged look white on black. They may not be Nike quality  but they are pretty good quality tees and not made by slave kids.

("But to me the sneakers don't seem that much cheaper,
Why are we paying so much for sneakers when they're made by little slave kids?
What are your overheads?"
Flight of the Conchords)

Hey Wayno,

thanks for agreeing to receive our batch of Tee-shirts from China.

Can you please pm me your telephone number so I can give to the courier? They should be there in just over a week.

Cheers,

Dik
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:14:12 AM by Reverend Hedgash »