Author Topic: World Finals 2009 -- THE THREAD!  (Read 125399 times)

Offline mkilger

Re: World Finals 2009 -- THE THREAD!
« Reply #420 on: October 12, 2009, 07:50:59 PM »
thanks Mike, looks like you had a good time too. and yes Mike Lefevers was there too, one more I am going to take a nap. Left Wendover 3am ut time 2am California time, 10 hour drive home.nite nite
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 07:54:15 PM by mkilger »

Offline Freud

« Reply #421 on: October 12, 2009, 08:26:43 PM »
Mike:

Stem Beck makes it home in less time than that, towing his roadster.

Buy premium fuel next trip.

FREUD
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:28:18 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline mkilger

« Reply #422 on: October 12, 2009, 08:33:43 PM »
I stoped a few times, almost got a deer(it was close)Freud, Stan Drove his sedan to bonneville, he's a true hotrodder in every since of the word, Hot rodder= Stan
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:36:54 PM by mkilger »

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #423 on: October 12, 2009, 08:44:22 PM »
Kenny gets a Blue Hat :-D

Offline mkilger

« Reply #424 on: October 12, 2009, 08:47:13 PM »
 kenny is so cool, his hair doesnt even get messed up in his helmet.

Offline johnbeck

« Reply #425 on: October 12, 2009, 11:46:40 PM »
Mike, I was hoping to get a time on that U-Haul truck and SCTA trailor this week, the only thing faster than you was Lee in that F-450 Ford p/u. You guys deffinetly got the most MPH out of your rides.
Thanks for all you do out there, I know I feel safer. :cheers:
nitro junkie

Offline Tudors Performance

• New folks
    • Tudors Powersport-Services
« Reply #426 on: October 13, 2009, 03:12:14 AM »
Congratulations to Pat Womack for doing a great job riding. You did it, you got the RED HAT! :cheers:
Race Engine Builder & Load Control Dyno Tuning Center. We Build NA, Turbo and Nitrous Motorcycle Engines. 951.549.0771

Offline Darin Morgan

• New folks
« Reply #427 on: October 13, 2009, 08:41:14 AM »
D Morgan
 First, welcome to the board. Any specs on that 536"? With permission of course. I understand racing secrets but sure would like to know whats in there.
 Maybe in a separate topic so this one isn't cluttered. If not we understand.
Ron

My brother Brad rebuilt the engine before this last go around and changed a lot of stuff. He worked on the valve train and made more power. Its 90% him I just did the head and intake.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #428 on: October 13, 2009, 10:00:19 AM »
thanks john, the 261 pass was bitchen, Al's 236 pass sounded great too, I going to take one more week off to work on the roadster and get back up to speed on it. :wink:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #429 on: October 13, 2009, 12:04:16 PM »
From the big box in the middle of the course AKA the Best Seat in the House we thank all of the racers and the volunteers for this great meet. There were no problems with the timing equipment except for one photo cell being knocked out of alingment and a mile marker being blown over., It took a while but found the Mic cord had a intermitent short in it causing a break up of transmission. I had a old spare and plugged it in and all was well after that. Mother nature was on our side this year for sure. Also the year 2009 was a record setter for the number of events on the salt and the number of vehicles run. We have the greatest race track in the world and a sport like no other. I just got home last night and I feel the salt fever already working for next year. To everyone thanks again. Didn't get to see everyone but will try next time.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #430 on: October 13, 2009, 12:38:36 PM »
Thanks Glen   for all you and your fellow volunteers do----2010 salt fever is alive and well in the "Rats Nest" 
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #431 on: October 13, 2009, 01:56:34 PM »
  Well, since nobody asked, here is how things went for the "Old Stud" 53 Studebaker.
  My engine guy, Virgil Hanson got the motor assembled with our new Jesel shaft rockers last Wednesday.  Unfortunately, we only had two days to get pushrods, and found that we could not install the 7/16th ones we need without grinding the heads.  Nor could we get the one piece heat treated ones in time.  We went ahead and ordered press in end 3/8th pushrods and I picked up the engine on Friday night.
  The resulting thrash resulted in firing the engine Tuesday night around six, loading until 10:30, sleeping until three, driving for sixteen hours (including repairs) by myself, and hoping my crew made it out of the snow in Montana.  Arrived in Wendover around 8pm Wednesday night (I think).
Thursday we started putting the tin back in, the fire bottles back in, packing the parachutes, etc.
When we reinstalled the floor bracket for the throttle cable, I asked Mike Wesche to hit the pedal and found out we ran Speedweek with only 2/3rds throttle, as the pedal hit the tinwork over the scatter shield.  No wonder I took out 5 pistons..............  We discovered that the valve covers were touching the intake rockers and had to grind reliefs.  Don't ever try to find a grinding burr in Wendover............
  At that point, I said screw it, we are going to fix every little nut and bolt before we run.
  We finally went thru tech Friday morning, sat in line all afternoon and were 5 cars back when the wind shut the course down for the day.
  We opted to leave it in line and warmed it up during the record runs on Saturday morning.  Then we topped her off with 25% and were ready to go.
  At about the 1/2 I nailed it pretty good, went sideways, got her straight, and sashayed to the 2 1/4,  dropped a cylinder, and shut it off. Ran 217 at the quarter.
  We removed the valve covers, and had eaten the upper ends off of eight exhaust push rods..... nutz.
  Thus ended another saga for One Run.
  On the bright side, we found out our throttle/barrel valve issues, discovered our fuel tank isn't large enough (nine gallons) to go 5 miles, realized we are not oiling the rockers/pushrods, and recieve great help and encouragement from Tom Burkland and Wayne Jesel.  We met many people, gave away around a hundred picures of the yellow Stude, signed (ulp!) many autographs.......without making a full pass..........  and left feeling great about the whole enchelada.
  My thanks again to Tom and Wayne, and to my crew from Montana, Squd Gilman, Tony "the saw" Mascaro, and Mike Wesche (who I believe was run out of SoCal................) 
 Thanx again, and If VISA continues its sponsorship I will see you all at Speedweek 2010.
                                                                   One Run Bob

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 02:00:33 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #432 on: October 13, 2009, 02:17:19 PM »
 :cheers:   Way to go Pat...Congratulations on your new "hat"....hope to see you at Elmo later this month..

Buzz
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 05:13:00 PM by Dakzila »
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline Tom Liberatore

« Reply #433 on: October 13, 2009, 04:14:53 PM »
 :cheers:Big THANKS to the SCTA for putting on another great meet! I wish that I had more pepperoni to pass out but the Pepperoni Bros. were running entirely on donations from our local community, the local paper doing a piece on me and our good showing at the World Of Speed really helped. Also 3 cheers to Slim and Ray [who I got to meet] for keeping everyone back home posted, those guys were everywhere! I've got to tell somebody about this, as I was making my return run on Friday morning, somewhere in the timed mile, I peeked up to check my position on the course and sitting on one of the marker flags was a large red-tailed hawk! It flew up and across the course as I passed, I was busy at the time so I didn't even recall it happening until hours after the run. Maybe Glen or someone in the "Best Seat In The House" saw this as well, either that or I'm as nuts as everyone says........  either way it was a super time with some of the finest and fastest people on earth!  Thanks to everyone, Tom
Pepperoni Bros.- XF/VOT

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #434 on: October 13, 2009, 04:32:29 PM »
May be it was a red corvette door skin.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club