Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3300151 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #2370 on: April 01, 2013, 09:00:06 AM »
I’ve set up the motor mounts so we can just bolt up - a couple of 3/8 or 5/16 bolts will get that done, and we won't have to drill anything on campus - but I am bringing along the drill, just in case.

Monday will require a quick trip to the hardware store to acquire one last pipe reducer for water, and 6 properly sized bolts for the drive adapter.

I found my collector pipe, but it turns out that it's 1 7/8" rather than 2", so I'll be doing a bit of a scramble on that.

I cut some washers in half to step the header/manifold bolts - should be able to get it all close enough.

The following is packed -

Tool box
Bungees for air box support
Spare spark plugs
Valve spring compressor, magnetic probe, extra valve spring shims, valve springs and forceps
Pipe expander
Torque wrench, wrenches, screw drivers, Allen wrenches, all my spare carby parts, fire extinguisher, extra studs and fasteners, extra manifold gaskets (2)
Colortune, timing light, feeler gauges, air adapter for spark plug hole to change out valve springs
Computer w/ spare power supply, spare battery and connection cable

Just a heads up - I can't find my 11mm combination wrench.    :|

Midget,

Spending most of my day gathering & packing up my Sorcerer's kit for the "Magical Mystery Tour of Cheddarland"   :-D

I am including in the boxed set:

1/    Carb main jets, air jets, idle jets, pump jets and emulsion tubes
2/    Alternate air horns
3/    Alternate chokes
4/    Alternate boosters
5/    Variety of carb tools, inc 11mm wrench and the throttle linkage adaptor
6/    Leakdown checker with adaptors
7/    Variety of other special tools
8/    Variety of measuring tools
9/    CO2 fire ext.
10/  Tripod/video camera/digital camera
11/  Portable cauldron & accessories

I'm counting on you to bring:   (in addition to the stuff you listed. . . . . )

1/    All your extra valve adjusters. . . . .
2/    the spare water pump drive belt
3/    the short lengths of tailpipe, one end may need to be expanded as a stock exhaust system

I'll post the latest version of the checklist later today, so you can review it/print it off.
 :cheers:
Fordboy

edit:  you'll also need to bring that rockershaft/pillar assembly for changing the valve springs!!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:18:02 AM by fordboy628 »
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2371 on: April 02, 2013, 01:22:15 AM »
 :oops:

I want to keep this as honest as possible, so the mistakes are also documented.

I screwed up -

Stripped out a thread on the flywheel.

Pulled it, met Fordboy at the Brat Stop - he's on Helicoil duty.

Again, thanks Mark.

I really didn't need this tonight. 

More to follow - we'll get through this - just keep the wrenches out of my big, clumsy hands.

Pulled the exhaust - we'll be cutting it up for testing.

Grabbing Sawzall.

Last water fitting in place.

Schedule remains intact, but jeez, I thought I was doing this to AVOID a last minute thrash . . .

Radio silence likely from Beerhaven until Wednesday PM.

Captain Chrispy, out.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2372 on: April 02, 2013, 06:14:54 AM »
Chris, I always love reading this thread. You guys really do your homework, and a lot can be learned from you!

Good luck on the dyno- I really hope 'over' wins out for you, but more importantly, I hope she runs like a Swiss watch! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2373 on: April 02, 2013, 06:31:45 AM »
Well said Buddy and I second that in a BIG way. You deserve a winning day Chris.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

gkabbt

« Reply #2374 on: April 02, 2013, 06:38:35 AM »
Chris, As I put in my PM to you, may the Gods of Speed be looking over you and your crew!
GOOD LUCK.....You deserve it!  :cheers:

Gregg

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2375 on: April 02, 2013, 08:55:47 AM »
:oops:

I want to keep this as honest as possible, so the mistakes are also documented.

I screwed up -

Stripped out a thread on the flywheel.

Pulled it, met Fordboy at the Brat Stop - he's on Helicoil duty.

Again, thanks Mark.

I really didn't need this tonight. 

More to follow - we'll get through this - just keep the wrenches out of my big, clumsy hands.

Pulled the exhaust - we'll be cutting it up for testing.

Grabbing Sawzall.

Last water fitting in place.

Schedule remains intact, but jeez, I thought I was doing this to AVOID a last minute thrash . . .

Radio silence likely from Beerhaven until Wednesday PM.

Captain Chrispy, out.

Captain Chrispy, (?? sic??), et all,

OK, first of all, before you use the Sawsall on your neck, the sky isn't falling.    Problem can be corrected.    I want to take a minute to illustrate a point though. . . . .

This is a PERFECT example of why there is a need for checklists, schedules, AND, why reasonable schedules have extra time built in.   It is to be able to react to the unexpected.    Why?     Because it always happens. . . . . .      No racer ever plans to create a problem, yet sh** happens. . . .      Not to get "all Dr. Phil" on anybody, situations like this are just part of the human condition, something that has to be accepted when working with people.    Sh** happens.

Smart project managers know this and they build flexibility into their schedules to be able to deal with the unexpected.    It's the smart thing to do.   So the extra day you had built-in to the schedule for other reasons, worked to your advantage.

So guys, my point is that if you have every pre-race moment planned out and accounted for, without any extra time reserved for unanticipated problems that might occur, you are actually: planning to fail. . . . .     I see this all the time in racers who are not full time professionals and even in some lower tier pro teams.    You never see it though at the highest levels of the sport.    Why?    Successful teams recognize the value in planning ahead, if for no other reason than to satisfy sponsors. . .    And I'm not going to say anything about overly optomistic planning times except this: Be realistic about what you can accomplish after a full work day. . . .

The bottom line is:  Make sure you have enough time to do everything, AND, have some extra time in hand to deal with the unexpected.

Final version of checklist is attached below.

Apparently there is a God.    Seems like He is the Guy who invented Heli-coils. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Will call you when the repair is finished.
:cheers:
Fordboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2376 on: April 02, 2013, 01:01:49 PM »
Robin,

Please come home to Wayne Manor, do not check yourself into Arkham Asylum. . . . .

The Bat-flywheel is repaired and all is forgiven.

Alfred

P.S.  Batman doesn't have to know. . . . . . .

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2377 on: April 02, 2013, 02:59:29 PM »
This thread isn't only technically interesting, it's also highly entertaining. Keep up the great work guys.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2378 on: April 02, 2013, 05:18:26 PM »
This thread isn't only technically interesting, it's also highly entertaining.

With all the elements of a Greek tragedy – including getting bumped by the Dyno Shop.

A day of vacation burned for nothing.

Rescheduled for 4/17.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #2379 on: April 02, 2013, 05:50:03 PM »
Daaamn that's annoying, I'd bought my popcorn and everything!  

Another two weeks waiting!  :-P
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:52:12 PM by Graham in Aus »

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2380 on: April 02, 2013, 05:52:19 PM »
The flywheel was a sign.WTH, Are they dynoing a Space Shuttle, what could be more important?.......half expecting to see an angry mob of LSR fiends picketing the place after this disappointment.
Take this to your employer, forget annual leave, get a medical.............

To Whom it may Concern
I have today examined a Mister Christopher Conrad of Beerhaven. He has been diagnosed with Salt Fever and will be unable to attend his place of work on the 17th of April as he will be receiving intensive therapy. I will also take this ooportunity to flag the possibility that Mr Conrad will to be admitted to our Utah treatment facility in the early weeks of September for further extensive treatment depending on his responsiveness to the forthcoming course.

Thank You
Dr Goggles
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #2381 on: April 02, 2013, 06:05:23 PM »
Chris,
It's good to have a Dr. in your fan club.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2382 on: April 02, 2013, 06:08:59 PM »
Well, it will give you a little more time to prep. Post up your numbers, because I'll be at work on the 17th, and won't be able to watch the video!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

gkabbt

« Reply #2383 on: April 02, 2013, 06:17:27 PM »
This thread isn't only technically interesting, it's also highly entertaining.

With all the elements of a Greek tragedy – including getting bumped by the Dyno Shop.

A day of vacation burned for nothing.

Rescheduled for 4/17.

Sorry to hear this Chris but the flywheel must have been a sign.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #2384 on: April 02, 2013, 06:18:46 PM »
Take this to your employer, forget annual leave, get a medical.............

To Whom it may Concern
I have today examined a Mister Christopher Conrad of Beerhaven. He has been diagnosed with Salt Fever and will be unable to attend his place of work on the 17th of April as he will be receiving intensive therapy. I will also take this ooportunity to flag the possibility that Mr Conrad will to be admitted to our Utah treatment facility in the early weeks of September for further extensive treatment depending on his responsiveness to the forthcoming course.

Thank You
Dr Goggles

ROTFLMFAO  :cheers: