Author Topic: worlds fastest motorcycle maybee  (Read 50116 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: worlds fastest motorcycle maybee
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2007, 02:11:49 PM »
The wind conditions are monitored for every run on both courses. The starters and timers work very close on this and relay it to the racer. For MC streamliners A 5 mph cross or diagonal wind and 8 to 10 mph for car streamliners.
The stater asks before each of the runs for a down course report. As the wind can and does blow in different directions along the 8 mile envelop it is critical the drivers/riders be aware of it. I have held many runs up because the wind was blowing at the 4 or 5 mile and not at the 1, 2, & 3 mile. My main concern is the safety of the run.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2007, 03:45:41 PM »
A small cross wind might be a small problem at a small speed , but make either speed greater and the problem soon gets out of hand.
I made the mistake of asking the starter to call down to the timing stand for a wind reading.
The report was about 3mph ,straight across the track.
The first mistake was that I was not told or didn't listen but the wind was 180 deg. the other way.
That tells you that there is a little low pressure area in the middle.
I was hauling the mail and leaning into the wind.
 At the 1.5 I was rained on for about 100 ft. and then the wind changed direction.
No, I won't take you for a ride to show you.
A sailor can see the wind pattern across the water ahead and use it to an advantage, not so with an LSR vehicle.
Flying also teaches you some things about the weather that are useful for LSR.

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline tortoise

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2007, 03:55:08 PM »
I have seen experienced riders running along in a side wind with the liner leaned way over . . .
A technical article (about streamlined bicycles, actually), someone here linked to said that for best stability, center of pressure on bikes should be ahead of the center of gravity, not behind it, as on cars. It makes sense, when you think about it: A side gust from say, the left, on a bike with a rearward center of pressure would lean the bike to the right, but steer it to the left -- not too healthy sounding a situation.

On the other hand, I read somewhere else that with increasing speed, the effective center of pressure moves forward, to actually well in front of the vehicle. Any thoughts, Porkpie?

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2007, 08:28:10 PM »
I have seen experienced riders running along in a side wind with the liner leaned way over . . .
A technical article (about streamlined bicycles, actually), someone here linked to said that for best stability, center of pressure on bikes should be ahead of the center of gravity, not behind it, as on cars. It makes sense, when you think about it: A side gust from say, the left, on a bike with a rearward center of pressure would lean the bike to the right, but steer it to the left -- not too healthy sounding a situation.

On the other hand, I read somewhere else that with increasing speed, the effective center of pressure moves forward, to actually well in front of the vehicle. Any thoughts, Porkpie?

tortoise,
I would think this would be a relatively easy experiment to perform on the cheap.  There are lots of inexpensive long wheelbase recumbent to weld up something to mount a panel to prove this out.  Typically eBay has these for like $500 if you don't mind one made of pig iron and junk components.  Certainly cheaper than a trip to Bonneville to find out a theory is wrong.

I think with your name, you need to beat Seldom Seen Slims "high speed run" :-D
http://www.ecta-lsr.com/?page_id=74

Jack - sailing and flying teach good observation skills, which serve us well in life.  Good observation is about as good as actual weather knowledge if applied consistently.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2007, 09:44:58 PM »
Put a 2ft. square piece of plywood to create more side area, first in the way front, then in the middle, and then sticking out the back of a bicycle and ride it in a slight cross wind.
You might also want to try the same test with no tires, just the wheels.
Be sure someone is available to give you a ride home or wherever and let us know how you do. :wink:

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline crusher

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2007, 10:10:27 PM »
MR jack
 How about the rear stabilizer .Should we put one on?Or not?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2007, 10:47:44 PM »
The effect of the rear stabilizer is to move the CP back much like the feathers on an arrow or tail on an aircraft.
If you shape demands it, you will want one.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2007, 01:53:06 AM »
The effect of the rear stabilizer is to move the CP back much like the feathers on an arrow or tail on an aircraft.
If you shape demands it, you will want one.

Or find out that you may need one..

J

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2007, 11:26:36 AM »
Crusher I hate to discourage you, but if the only meet you will be able to run is possibly BUB aren't you putting a lot of time and work into something that you might not be able to run unless you have the money to rent the salt for private time??

What if Denis at BUB pulls the plug and says you can't run there??

I do respect the magnitude of the project you have undertaken and wish you all the luck with it.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Freud

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2007, 01:27:28 PM »
This discussion of wind makes last years Bub Meet so unique. 3 liners to run and generally wind was not the problem.
That's an amazing record. Among the things that can go wrong at B'ville, wind is the one thing that is invisible and frighteningly dangerous.
Just like 1212, I have seen attempts sit for several days before they surrendered.
You can see the course surface, you can see the mechanicals of any machine but wind
doesn't give you that opportunity and it can be so dangerous.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2007, 04:05:20 PM »
Wind can stop long enough to get you started and start again before you are finished.
FIM for example is a 2 hour window spread over 10+ miles.
The previous World LSR for bikes with the Campos machine finished after sundown in the twilight.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2007, 04:24:03 PM »

[/quote]

Center of gravity and center of pressure - all this is important - YES.
But what helps if they looks on the right place, when the aerodynamic is wrong.

Exactly this creates the effect you request. If the aerodynamic, especially on the front end, is wrong, the pressure increase "uncontrolled" - with result that the center of pressure moves.

The center of pressure moves always...depends on the speed - more worse the aerodynamic is, so more he moves - but not always forward, he can move also backwards. If this happens your front end start to be weak.

If you got a clean aerodynamic with the right airflow along the car and rip off on the rear end  the moving is so small that there is no effect on the balance of the car.

Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2007, 04:30:56 PM »
MR jack
 How about the rear stabilizer .Should we put one on?Or not?
When you run a jet engine in a inline two wheeler a fin is necessary to eliminate the effect of the engine torque.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline crusher

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2007, 09:11:21 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input.To answer Mr sum you have a great website its helped us out alot.As far as what if they don t let us run and Dennis changes his mind .Well  we can not rent the salt we are building this project with the money I make working two jobs with the help of one friend .working 7 days a week.And a understanding wife.And help from a lot of other people.Who all want to see this project succeed .So if anyone thinks we will not make a attempt on the record.They are mistaken.As far as a waste of time.   Nothing  is a waste of time if you used your experience wisely.   Ok  I got that off my chest . We are using  center hub steering.How much king pin inclination should we run?   15 degrees   45 degrees What do you guys think?

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2007, 05:03:25 AM »