Author Topic: worlds fastest motorcycle maybee  (Read 50070 times)

Offline crusher

Re: worlds fastest motorcycle maybee
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 10:51:05 PM »
my eyes hurt?

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 10:55:46 PM »
my eyes hurt?
Be careful- read in fine print someplace- Argon flashes due permanent eye damage-wouldn't be surprised if helium does same..russ
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 11:07:41 PM »
With weight and balance so important as well as other things, how will it react to the changes when the weight of the fuel is consumed ?
I may have another question or 10.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline crusher

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 08:52:05 PM »
Mr jack
To answer your question.We have angled the motor burner pipe down about 1 degree.In hopes this will keep  us on planet earth.So even though we will lose the weight of the fuel it should stay down.How much does 26 gallons of kerosene weigh anyhow?That spell check comes in handy.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 10:00:25 PM »
26 gallons of fuel weight off the nose while underway is one thing, the reaction of the vehicle when the 1 deg. down is removed during shutdown without the weight is something else.
#2 How is the bike going to maintain direction with the lack of lateral traction and during cross wind variables ?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 03:57:26 AM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline crusher

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 11:05:16 PM »
Mr jack  Good point we are thinking of canard wings on the front.As far as lateral traction. We are thining of waiting till the wind dies down.How do the other motorcycle streamliners do it? We are just a couple of guys with a dream.And we are going for it.Wind tunnel test be damened!!!!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 11:59:29 PM »
This is in no way meant to be bubble busting but a dry comparison with the experiences if others.
There is plenty of room at the top for a faster 2 wheeler, both thrust and wheel driven.
Solid metal wheels on the salt have a very poor history and all of the 2 wheelers that have tried them either crashed or felt the urge, with some as slow as towing speeds.
Since the wheel does not provide a contact patch it will require that you expend  the energy to displace the salt (make a track) as you go.
Can you imagine how much energy that takes and how much you still need when you remove the power ?
Canards have a very real place, but not on a MC liner.
 The problem is that in a cross wind that you have no control of in the distance required they will load one side more than the other with predictable results.
All the fast acting sensors in the world won't work fast enough to to prevent a spill.
Think of the MC liner as a canoe and that will give you some idea about the effect of anything hanging out or pushing down on 1 side more than another. 

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 12:20:04 AM »

Think of the MC liner as a canoe and that will give you some idea about the effect of anything hanging out or pushing down on 1 side more than another. 

Great idea Jack!!  I've worried about making a body for the lakester and here it has been laying outside in the form of an aluminum canoe all along  :evil:

It is even an 18 footer and will probably fit the frame better than the little wing tanks I bought  :-o ................

.............and if it rains I'll be all set and the only one out there running on the lake with a true lakester  8-).

c ya,

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2007, 04:13:47 AM »
For you guys that have gone to El Mirage, don't tell Sum any detail about the canoe that does run as a real lakester.
Maybe just a hint.
 It is a front driver position with a rear motor and the interior cooler provides all the required liquid for the passengers.
Never ever even think about giving him a clue about the rolling picnic bench or the four wheel steering and all steel wheels on the Kott's kid vehicle.
Some things we hold to be sacred. :wink:

Offline crusher

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2007, 08:17:02 PM »
Mr jack
As far as wheels go .We were thinking of one with a slight radius and a small keel a quarter to a half an inch.Just an idea.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2007, 12:22:11 AM »
Crusher,
Keep tig welding without a face shield and you won't have to worry about tires or weight or anything cause you won't be able to see!!

Feels like someone poured gravel in your eyes!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2007, 12:50:07 AM »
Crusher,
Keep tig welding without a face shield and you won't have to worry about tires or weight or anything cause you won't be able to see!!

Feels like someone poured gravel in your eyes!

Rex

I would have expected that comment from Freud, he is the eye doctor to the stars.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Xea

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2007, 10:52:33 AM »
I can't speak for other liners, but we where blown off course this last September (Bub Meet) with a 6 MPH cross wind. Our bike is 23 feet long and we will not run again with a side wind. We did not have a clue that this would happen, but thinking about it it makes perfect sense. I believe other bike liners will not run in certain wind conditions. As this meet was our first, we learned a huge amount and realize we still have a steep learning curve ahead. When you get there the first time, don't expect to set the world on fire. Figuring out how to get off the line, how your steering reacts (we had to slow ours down a lot), getting your skids up and down, are all things that need practice. Good luck.
Faster, till the thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of death.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 11:43:42 AM »
The bike that Xea mentioned is a proven shape and successful.
What is equally unproven is the wind conditions for the 7 or more miles that you are underway.
If you spend all your time working on the bike, the weather and track conditions will be the factor that will be least understood and most likely to put you down.
I have seen experienced riders running along in a side wind with the liner leaned way over and the narrowest tires you have ever seen.
The largest tire left the longest black mark anybody has ever seen and was blown off course several times.
I saw a liner owner call the shots as to the running schedule and get a tail wind both ways.
All of those mentioned were previous World Record holders.
All of the aluminum wheel shapes never made it that far and that includes thrust driven.
I guess the next answer will come from one of the bikes running now and you can already see several different answers to an unknown question.
     "The bike liner has not been perfected yet."
     "Theoretical records are set by theoretical machines."

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2007, 01:23:13 PM »
xea
i drove that liner in a 13mph cross wind.... till about the 3 mile marker.... then i left about a mile debris field all the way past the 4 :-o 6 to 8 shouldn't be a problem.. i mean its not fun but you can still go.... after the 03 crash i made Jim Jensen promise me he wont ever let me go over a 5 wind even if i beg him.... so in 04 we sat on the line for 3 days letting cars go around till he let me go qualified at the 3 got blown around the outside of the 4 so i didnt get a time for the 4,or 5. went into impound and found a hurt motor. packed her up and went home. So ya see thats why bike liner guys are very, very lucky when they qualify and if lucky, weather conditions are with them to make the backup.
crusher, please, please don't put silly down force wings on an inherently unstable vehicle like a bike liner.... everyone who ever has... has crashed and never put them back on.