Author Topic: worlds fastest motorcycle maybee  (Read 49987 times)

Offline Xea

Re: worlds fastest motorcycle maybee
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2007, 10:35:07 AM »
My wife calls our streamliner "the other woman".
Faster, till the thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of death.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2007, 12:57:35 PM »
My ex-wife said " the race car was worse than another woman, she could compete, with another woman." :evil:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

landracing

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2007, 08:43:51 PM »
What if Denis at BUB pulls the plug and says you can't run there??

I do respect the magnitude of the project you have undertaken and wish you all the luck with it.

c ya,

Sum

Sum,

During Denis's private time on the salt in (I Might have to be corrected on the year) I think it was in mid 1990's, I would like to say 1996, Denis had a private small meet with motorcycle entries.. Denis, Charlie Toy, John Minnono and Roger "Rocket Man" Brown from England. Brown ran a solid fuel rocket bike. He also ran solid aluminum wheels which he removed during the short meet and went back to a regular tire...

If Pork Pie and Jack are reading this they I'm sure could clarify some of the info. But he did allow it to run.

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2007, 09:38:16 PM »
The Rocket did not run during the time the other bikes did.
He just did towing tests with it and abandoned the effort to make the solid wheels work.
The FIM with no experience to back it up, allowed it to be run over my objection but it never got past towing speed.
He switched to conventional LSR tires before he ran it.
The English rocket did run the following week with the same result as the Budweiser rocket bike and it was further limited by the space allowed for the tires to grow in spite of the spacers installed for that purpose. :wink: .
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline crusher

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2007, 07:09:21 PM »
Mr Jack
 What was the Budweiser rocket bike ? I  believe I read somewhere that Roger Browns bike was timed at 328 mph. Is that true?Also  Mr 1212fbgs 25 degrees Thats what I want to run?How about parachutes  size length ect,ect,ect.

Offline crusher

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2007, 08:17:42 PM »
More picture of jet bike.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2007, 08:31:58 PM »
The Bud rocket was a three wheeler and belonged to Hal Needam with Stan Barrett aboard.
It's final run was at Edwards AFB in the dirt and was attempting to go the speed of sound.
The detailed paperwork for both should be on file with the FIM.
Neither machine set a speed record under FIM rules and the Bud did not record a single speed in excess of the speed of sound under the conditions that prevailed.
The Bud machine attempted to increase the time at speed with the addition of a Sidewinder Solid Rocket motor but failed to sustain the initial speed provided by the rocket power alone.
They were both a case of the figures didn't figure.
It happens to everybody. :wink:

"Theoretical speeds are achieved by theoretical projects."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline crusher

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2007, 08:40:16 PM »
Mr jack
Now I know what your talking about.Three wheels motorcycle!!!!!!IT was cool looking.Talk to you later.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2007, 06:36:54 AM »
Mr Jack
 What was the Budweiser rocket bike ? I  believe I read somewhere that Roger Browns bike was timed at 328 mph. Is that true?Also  Mr 1212fbgs 25 degrees Thats what I want to run?How about parachutes  size length ect,ect,ect.
The fastest what Brown went was 360 mph and than he blew a tire.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2007, 07:16:30 AM »
The Bud rocket was a three wheeler and belonged to Hal Needam with Stan Barrett aboard.
It's final run was at Edwards AFB in the dirt and was attempting to go the speed of sound.
The detailed paperwork for both should be on file with the FIM.
Neither machine set a speed record under FIM rules and the Bud did not record a single speed in excess of the speed of sound under the conditions that prevailed.
The Bud machine attempted to increase the time at speed with the addition of a Sidewinder Solid Rocket motor but failed to sustain the initial speed provided by the rocket power alone.
They were both a case of the figures didn't figure.
It happens to everybody. :wink:

"Theoretical speeds are achieved by theoretical projects."

The first three wheeler of the series was the SMI Motivator which was original built for Billy Meyer (original named Aquaslide 'n Dive Special), a well known dragster driver, the project had to be sponsored by one of his father company.
The car was built by William Frederick (from Woodland Hills in LA), this guy had built the Valkyrie jet car in 1962 (with driver Gary Gabelich) but he didn't run to insurance problems. The Valkyrie was sold to Art Malone and he run the car named US1 on the drag strip.
Fredrick done at first a concept test car the Courage of Australia which was run from John Paxson.
Hal Needham bought the drive in the car, as the first driver for the SMI. Second driver was Kitty O'Neil (Hamilton)
First attempts was at Bonneville in 1976, but didn't work out - the team went to Alvord in Oregon and Kitty set a FIM record for cycle cars. Later Hal Needham tried the SMI on other dry lake, he bent the car and his own ego..

Than Budweiser went in and Fredrick built the first Budweiser rocket - a lot of people think that the Budweiser is a repainted SMI - but the SMI was damaged and is own by Nina Rindt.
The first Budweiser was driven at Bonneville by Stan Barret, after Needham couldn't handle them again not.
Stan went into trouble with the car, done a 45 degree turnout and bend the chassis of the rocket car.
Fredrick built a second Budweiser rocket car which was used in Edwards. At first the car went not fast enough, also the fuel was not enough to go through the mile marker. So they add a sidewinder solid fuel rocket inside the parachute box.
They said at last they done the sound barrier.

Also they showed some certification from famous people that the car done the boom.
But if you look on the speed on the 1/100 of a mile (by satellite!) and the measured mile, it didn't mathematically match together.

The paper from Chuck Yeager was by purpose misinterpreted - they said he confirmed the breaking of the sound barrier. When I talked to Chuck at Black Rock, he told me that he only wrote, that with the concept a breaking could be possible, but not that Stan broke the Sound Barrier - and also, he was not there when Stan run the "speed of sound", the picture which shows Chuck interviewing Stan was done before.

The Edwards car was for a while in the Smithsonian in Washington, but after some letters with the museum some years ago they understand that this shown speed couldn't be right and they done the car out of the museum - he is now in a sheet somewhere in Indiana.
The Bonneville car is converted into the Edwards shape and stand in Hall of Fame for Nascar in Talladega/Alabama
The third Budweiser, a mock up, is by Richard Childress (the owner of the late Dale Earnhard race car). Richard was one of the sponsor of the car).

At last, the concept from the SMI and the Budweiser was different in the power unit - the SMI could be refueled in time to do the 2 hour turnaround for FIM - to fuel the Budweiser it need 24 hours.........this would be too long for SCTA....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 07:24:07 AM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2007, 10:07:02 AM »
Mr Jack

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2007, 10:34:02 AM »
Mr Jack
The 360 claimed by the Brown machine was the peak speed said to be recorded by the on board instruments and never by the certified timing equipment required by FIM standing rules.
The peak speed for the BUD machine was recorded by the approach radar for the Air Base and the experienced onlookers never heard the "BOOM" that would be expected for anything that exceeded the speed of sound.
However accurate the recording might have been the conditions required to exceed the SOS did not occur until several hours later after the speed was said to be recorded.
Both efforts were victims of the PR/ Sponsorship pressures to perform but never met the standards and as such were not accepted speeds within the LSR community.
Sadly two of the FIM officials fell victim to those PR machines also and will never be recognized for the efforts and it wasn't me.
How do I know that ?
We can start by saying that I don't make exeptions for anybody and they know it. :wink:

Offline crusher

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2007, 05:30:23 PM »
Mr Jack  and Pork Pie
        Is it possible for the sake of discussion that the fastest motorcycle two  or three wheeled is Craig Breedloves  407 mph.Just a thought.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2007, 05:55:55 PM »
It was properly classified as a thrust driven 3 wheeled cycle as opposed to a Cycle Car that required the provision to carry a passenger.
The FIM in recent years has sought to reinvent the wheel.
When you get into vehicle colors, well that is a whole other story. :wink:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 08:26:30 AM by JackD »

High Gear

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2007, 02:59:46 PM »
We run 12Deg. Some other linners run more, some less. Testing is the answer. We have a 5 mph wind limit as advised by Don Vesco.  I have run in a 14 mph cross wind with the bars at full lock and won't go there again.

Good Luck with you project.

Gary