Author Topic: National Paved Mile Records  (Read 40594 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: National Paved Mile Records
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2015, 01:15:54 PM »
Just curious  :mrgreen:

Are there any records from:

???

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline dw230

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2015, 01:47:17 PM »
Don't remember any record keeping. Just running, I could be wrong though.

Thanks Dean
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2015, 02:12:07 PM »
"But I do believe that "awesome" picture if taken in 1954, would have to be very late in the year.  I think that's a '55 Ford in the far lane supporting a 272 Y-Block."

It's been verified to be 1954.  You youngsters don't realize that often in the late 50s, that often the first trip with your new car was to the local drag strip.  New models usually came out in September, so no problem there.

It's being beaten (if it's racing at all) by a flathead Ford 6.  Notice that there's no E.T. light on the starting line.  And as to why the officials are camped on the line, rather than by the grandstand, beats me.  I'd guess the timing "tower" was not built yet as they had no timing of their own.  Winners were signaled by judges at the finish line.

{By the way, same roadster in my avatar (and in my garage).}

Now, back to our one-mile subject . . .
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:21:01 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jl222

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2015, 02:40:30 PM »
A measured mile (or 1.5 at MKM & Loring) may be the same distance, but tracks vary so much in condition, shut down, etc. that it's not always an apples to apples comparison. I think a database is cool, but you may only get 2 or 3 runs over a two day Ohio event if it's packed, and tear down only decreases that. I get the certification process and its importance. Spoken integrity + verification = records... BUT the ECTA has been having a ball for many years without it, and although I'm sure some "cheaters" have slipped into the record book over the years, that's on their conscience, not mine. While salt conditions have waned over the past few years, those of us racing on pavement shouldn't be imposed upon with additional procedures. Protests for engine size and class verification exist for that very reason. The pavement organizations don't need another "boss" watching over their shoulders. Just my .02

I don't think other organizations will be happy with SCTA'S Lexan window requirement among many others.

My cost was over $1500 and we did the install. We could get the Lexan for the Camaro but others could not.

JL222
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:44:57 PM by jl222 »

Offline dw230

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »
John,

The other organizations use a direct copy of the SCTA rule book and classes(some added). If their book retains the Lexan rule it should be applied.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline dw230

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2015, 03:43:59 PM »
"For the pavement miles I thought the USA already had an umbrella governing body because the International Mile Racing Association (IMRA) claims it is ....."IMRA formally established in 2010 as the first and only Sanctioning Body in the World for standing mile events."

As promised I googled this IMRA. Nothing came up but a bunch of Mid-Eastern sites. Guess they bailed on the paved mile events. Left you guys high and dry.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2015, 04:41:31 PM »
internationalmileracingassociation.com

came up for me :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2015, 07:43:05 PM »
There you go!

I'm impressed!

I'm gonna find out how much and where it takes to become the fastest all-steel (and Bondo) 28-29 (don't know) white (with some other trim color) street-licensed (now expired) roadster in the western half of the U.S.

I'm assuming that I won't have to deal with that picky a-hole Dan Warner any more!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline tallguy

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2015, 09:55:42 PM »
Stan, instead of calling names, why don't you explain why you are irritated by
something someone did or said?

We should act like adults in this forum, don'cha think?

Offline doug

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2015, 10:01:26 PM »
Stan, instead of calling names, why don't you explain why you are irritated by
something someone did or said?

We should act like adults in this forum, don'cha think?
Tallguy,  I think that one whizzed by you like a white and other colored roadster..  That was pure comedy.

Offline dw230

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2015, 10:13:30 PM »
I'm proud to be on Stan's radar.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2015, 11:57:22 PM »
Better watch it Stan, Dan will have the cell phone cops on your tail :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2015, 01:12:37 AM »
... internationalmileracingassociation.com...
... came up for me,,,
For me too. I read most of the stuff on their website, but didn't get much of an idea of how active they now are?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2015, 06:12:47 AM »
I am sure the UK Timing Association results can and should be added to those of pavement events in the USA. After all, we have the fastest female motorcyclist over here (fouth rider on the all time worldwide bike 1 mile listing) - Becci Ellis. Becci is a few tenths ahead of Jarrod 'jack' Frost on the full UK 1 mile listing.   

When added on to a combined list, the UKTA might get more car folk interested in official mile speed racing - UK supercar drivers have their own radar gun 'list' and modified roadgoing cars seem to break all noise restrictions, which the 'old country' has to have for continued airfield use.

The UKTA/ACU has speed records for the standing mile discipline, because we run vehicles two ways within one hour at our Record Meetings. The outright record (held by Jack Frost) may be under threat at our September event at Elvington.

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline sabat

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2015, 06:27:40 PM »
Egads there are a LOT of car classes!  Stan complains about the bikes...