Author Topic: National Paved Mile Records  (Read 40591 times)

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
Re: National Paved Mile Records
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2015, 04:27:08 PM »
Milt has a Ducati.
Not sure how that displacement is checked.

bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2015, 05:01:49 PM »
Milt has a Ducati.
Not sure how that displacement is checked.

I don't care how, only that it is...     :cheers:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2015, 05:11:44 PM »
I'm not real up on desmodromic(sp?), but I think it still has a bore and stroke.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2015, 05:46:20 PM »
The fact that the size of the motor is not checked at any of the pavement venues has always been an issue with me. I would to see it. :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline astek

• Alp Racing & Design
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2015, 06:03:30 PM »
Alp,

More sponsors - lol -that is a good one.

DW

Hey Dan, You might not know, but every time you sign that paper that says "Record Certification" One more sticker gets on my bikes (which does not get on for free except the SCTA) and keeps us going.

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2015, 07:36:11 AM »
A measured mile (or 1.5 at MKM & Loring) may be the same distance, but tracks vary so much in condition, shut down, etc. that it's not always an apples to apples comparison. I think a database is cool, but you may only get 2 or 3 runs over a two day Ohio event if it's packed, and tear down only decreases that. I get the certification process and its importance. Spoken integrity + verification = records... BUT the ECTA has been having a ball for many years without it, and although I'm sure some "cheaters" have slipped into the record book over the years, that's on their conscience, not mine. While salt conditions have waned over the past few years, those of us racing on pavement shouldn't be imposed upon with additional procedures. Protests for engine size and class verification exist for that very reason. The pavement organizations don't need another "boss" watching over their shoulders. Just my .02
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2015, 09:49:56 AM »
Seems to me there are hundreds of 1/4 mile drag strips across the country. Those that run under the NHRA banner run under those rules & records. Same with NMCA etc. but the tracks are all different from elevation to surfaces.
If you end up with a combined book of records for mile tracks a verification process will be required for body & engines. If that's not what you want run time only & don't clam a record.
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline RansomT

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2015, 10:46:10 AM »
Well, just a thought... Have track records with rules like we have now.  However, if you wish your record to be considered on the National Pave Record List, the vehicle must be verified for displacement and body.  Of course the paved event would have to be on board.

But when I step back and look at the entire situation; since the SCTA is new comer to paved racing, why follow their rules for displacement and/or body anyway?  Would not a board of participating paved racing be formed to hash out rules?

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2015, 11:18:37 AM »
A couple of things to consider, the SCTA has run paved events in the past like the 1/2 drags at Riverside & events at Colton. The main reason for running on dirt or salt was to get the longer distance. Airports in the past were not usually available with a few exceptions like Tustin/Santa ana blimp base.

That being said the SCTA has the structure & legitimacy to make your records valid. The current mile events are for profit, so why should they care if the guy running is legal? If you don't feel the need so be it, you can call Guinness and pay them to post your fastest red Mustang with silver stripes in their record book...
Michael LeFevers

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2015, 11:44:38 AM »
Well, just a thought... Have track records with rules like we have now.  However, if you wish your record to be considered on the National Pave Record List, the vehicle must be verified for displacement and body.  Of course the paved event would have to be on board.

But when I step back and look at the entire situation; since the SCTA is new comer to paved racing, why follow their rules for displacement and/or body anyway?  Would not a board of participating paved racing be formed to hash out rules?

That was my point - IF you want to be on this (theoretical) list, comply with their standards and procedures. If the SCTA wants to run certain events (MKM, etc.) and REQUIRE certification criteria, that's fine too. Handing over some type of national authority to the SCTA or another organization? I'm not so sure. Newcomers and current mile competitors take pride in setting a record ("national" or not) . . . I agree with your NHRA analogy to a point, and with the quality of tracks improving (loved Maxton, but it was rough with a capital 'r') it's closer to compare Texas to Ohio to Loring. I run a true C/BGALT car (370"), which has never been certified for displacement. That doesn't disprove the validity of my 2013 record or the 2014 record that beat it. Considering anything non-SCTA class/displacement compliant (e.g. /CT) as 'time only' or 'not valid' is quite frankly an insult to mile racers.

I find it hilarious that some of the salt/dirt-only racers on this forum could have cared less about mile racing until the reality of Salt depletion came calling. Labeling these mile racing organizations "for profit" may be accurate, but not caring? Come on, Mike. The ECTA and LTA have a community, family type feel, probably much like the SCTA.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 11:54:38 AM by redhotracing »
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2015, 12:21:28 PM »
SCTA at 1954 Colton Drags.

Sometime in the 60s(?), Colton went to 3/16th-mile drags.  I believe it was because of the short shut-down area.  I don't believe anybody else jumped on that bandwagon.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2015, 12:36:57 PM »
Within 10 feet of what NHRA came up with much more recently. Nothing's ever new!  :roll: :roll: :-D

Pete

Offline dw230

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2015, 12:45:43 PM »
Redhot,

Several years ago as I saw the increasing number of paved mile events I proposed a unified national record database. The thought was thatracers across the country could compare performance against each other. I believe that NHRA has but one et/mph record per class independant on which track was used.

My idea was along the same lines. There was no interest then and it appears there is no interest now. My dream would be that everyone who lists several inches of records in their login signature would be man enough to delete those records that they know were not set with a class legal vehicle. It would save untold millions of band width bits.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline RansomT

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2015, 01:11:16 PM »
SCTA at 1954 Colton Drags.

Sometime in the 60s(?), Colton went to 3/16th-mile drags.  I believe it was because of the short shut-down area.  I don't believe anybody else jumped on that bandwagon.

I stand corrected.

But I do believe that "awesome" picture if taken in 1954, would have to be very late in the year.  I think that's a '55 Ford in the far lane supporting a 272 Y-Block.

Offline sabat

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2015, 01:13:12 PM »
Dan, I'll put together a list of standing mile records from Maxton, Wilmington, and Loring, plus whatever happens at Mojave next week, and post it here on LR. We can see if gets any traction, so to speak. -Dean